How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 1 of 55 (60 Views)
Do you ever wants the TV program, Border Wars? If not, I suggest you watch it before deciding to move to Mexico. It's getting extremely dangerous there with drug lords controlling the people and land.
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 55 (62 Views)

San Francisco is typically a lot cooler and more damp than you are used to in San Diego. There is a quaint little town kind of mid state called Los Osos or also San Luis Obispo. The weather is very nice...not too hot or cold.  Los Osos is kind of a beach town....looks like a beach town too. As you come into Los Osos off of Los Osos Valley Rd off the 101 frwy, the town you go through is San Luis Obispo. That's a very nice town and has lots of ammenities...major stores, restaurants, etc. Check it out. You might find that you like it.  My son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter live in Los Osos and that is where my husband & I plan to move this year. We are currently in the Yorba Linda area. The summers here have been getting really hot and I'm not one to like the heat. Our niece lives near Solvang, CA., which is also a very nice area. I grew up in San Diego.  It was just ok, as far as I'm concerned, but I would not even consider San Francisco as it has way too many people and it is very difficult to get around due to traffic issues. There is a lot of pedistrian traffic as well, which causes a lot of delays because if you're not waiting on vehicle traffic, you're waiting on pedistrians. Good luck on your relocation, but check out San Francisco well before you pull up roots and move there. (Just my advise)

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 55 (538 Views)

Hawaii. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 55 (553 Views)

Just got a link to this article via "Next Avenue", and thought some of you might like to browse:

The Best Big & Small Cities for Successful Aging

I appreciate that the article starts by explaining how they came up with the list.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 55 (575 Views)

Hubby and I have lived in Florida for most of our lives. We are in our 60s and presently we are on five and one half acres in a two story farm house. I have mini horses, dogs, chickens and a cat. We know that we will want less to care for as we age and we have purchased a little house (actually rebuilt around a 1950s trailer, though you would never know it) and lot in a nearby small gated community. Cable, wifi, garbage pick up, and more is included, there is a rec center and pool and half of the year most of the residents leave for the north. For the time being we are 'weekenders' and enjoy taking 'mini' vacations there. It will be perfect for us as we grow older!!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 55 (717 Views)

I think people may also need to consider that with longevity & our retirement years expanding, it might be wise to accept lifestyle as a multi-phase process. When I began looking for a retirement home near the shore at 54, I was fine with being somewhere I'd have to drive to everything, and having a full flight of stairs between the garage & living space. But when I'm in my mid-70s, I can definitely see a move to a town with a walkable downtown shopping area, and being totally on 1-level!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 55 (808 Views)

I'm semi retired as a PA resident and also like the Oceanview DE area. No sales tax and low property taxes. However, if one decides to make DE their full time resident state, their out of state pension will be taxed by DE.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 55 (961 Views)

I would add one more item to consider.  Leave yourself room and finances to change your mind.  Once you live somewhere, it may not be so suitable.  The older you get, the more you want family and most especially your children and family support system.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 9 of 55 (1,016 Views)

My dream for where I wanted to live (and die) would be the Northwest coast.  Preferably Seattle.  If I could wake up and go to sleep listening to breakers coming in, it would be my own private nirvana.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 10 of 55 (1,025 Views)
That sounds great.