The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Structure in Our Retirement Lives

[ Edited ]
Message 21 of 26 (4,697 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

Many of us who've had full-time careers for many years, developed interests & a network of friends while we were still working, and once retired we just expanded the time & effort we could dedicate to them.

Others focus so much on work & only that, they fear retirement, and the perceived lack of things to keep themselves busy. When they do retire, and no longer have that daily structure, some people flounder a bit. I have an old friend who spends most of their time following the stock market online, on TV, and on whatever electronic device they have with them at all time, to "manage their investments".

Are you prepared with things you want to do when you retire? If you are retired, were you prepared with a bunch of things you already enjoyed & just spent more time on .. or did you have to "find yourself" after you retired? How's it going?

Another good topic.

I am a really organized person and I really enjoy my work and have said before that I am not sure how retirement will be.  I am however looking forward to it.  I am not going to obsess or make a big plan.  I am going to see what I find I like to do and want to do rather than all the should do's.  I have traveled all my life and want to continue but I also want to enjoy not having to fit it into the allotted vacation weeks.  Alot of it is mentally changing my focus.. the value of work was ingrained in me from my mom and dad  but then I have to remember that when dad retired, he took plenty of trips to Vegs : )  He told us the day that he retired that he would no longer be getting up at 5:00 am and nobody better wake him up.. he preferred staying up late, playing his world war II music and reading etc and getting up late.  I guess retirement gives you that option : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 26 (4,282 Views)

I've been a bum for 10 years now. Have been going through different 'phases'. First couple of years was extensive travel (we still travel, not back-to-back 3+ week trips any longer). Then, it was remodeling/maintenance to the house and yard with several major projects. Now, into a pattern of working out, multiple walks a day, and for half the year, in the yard for several hours a day. Increased my volunteer work a bit too.

Have also made it a point to get together more with family. I'm fortunate to have that, and we're all getting older. Winter is a bit slow for me, but spend more time at the gym. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 23 of 26 (4,183 Views)

I like having some structure in retirement, but a lot of flexibility. I have several standing appointments for things like the salon & work-outs, or I might be making excuses & putting them off. I plan ahead & put fun things on my calendar for motivation, and then secondary things that I may or may not do, depending on the weather & how I feel a particular day.

After a very quiet winter .. by design, March is turning out to be a ridiculously busy month. Some weekends there are 2 or 3 options each day, but I don't want to be like some people who have FOMO & exhaust themselves running to activities all the time.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 24 of 26 (3,063 Views)

@MaVolta - When we found out that my Mom's cancer was terminal, I took a family medical leave from work, to take care of everything. It turned out that I would retire/quit only 7 months later, but I didn't know that at the time. I created a "to-do list" in Excel, because there were so many things I had to cover every day, since Mom's passing would trigger moving my elderly aunt to my house. So I had to clear out an accumulation of their stuff in my basement, go to Mom's to spend time clearing up her stuff, take my aunt to visit Mom in the hospital, follow up with doctors as necessary, get Mom's house ready to be sold & move my aunt, and then deal with settling Mom's estate. Without that to-do list, I'm sure little things would have been overlooked, and nothing would have gone as smoothly as it did.

Afterward, I found the to-do spreadsheet continued to useful, so I didn't forget things I had to do for my aunt, as well as myself. It's 11 years since my aunt died, and I love my to-do spreadsheet! I have all of my standing appointments & regular activities like putting out the recycling & watering the plant, salon appointments, club meetings, and then all the special things .. which I add to the list as soon as I make a commitment to attend something or buy the tickets. At the end of each day, I either close out each action item, or change the status & new due date, and closed items go onto another sheet in the workbook.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 26 (3,032 Views)

@ASTRAEA - That's a great question!

When I retired, I had many projects that I wanted to work on now that I had so much time. Now I have trouble focusing on any particular thing, and quite often, the day comes and goes and I haven't really accomplished anything. 

It's almost like I need to set up a "workplace environment" and make myself a schedule, and set some goals for the various projects that I want to accomplish. Some are fun things, like time for crafting - which I haven't yet found time for, working on my genealogy which goes in fits and starts, to home improvement and organization projects that require more time, and often, other resources. I also have to schedule my volunteer work at church. And then there's the routine cleaning, laundry, cooking, and garden/yard work. (At least hubs takes care of most of the yard work).

Since I retired, the self-discipline I had at work, seems to have flown out the window. Being life-long ADD doesn't help, but it can be managed with effort and will-power. I can't seem to muster the discipline that I had when I worked.

Structure in Our Retirement Lives

Message 26 of 26 (2,700 Views)

Many of us who've had full-time careers for many years, developed interests & a network of friends while we were still working, and once retired we just expanded the time & effort we could dedicate to them.

Others focus so much on work & only that, they fear retirement, and the perceived lack of things to keep themselves busy. When they do retire, and no longer have that daily structure, some people flounder a bit. I have an old friend who spends most of their time following the stock market online, on TV, and on whatever electronic device they have with them at all time, to "manage their investments".

Are you prepared with things you want to do when you retire? If you are retired, were you prepared with a bunch of things you already enjoyed & just spent more time on .. or did you have to "find yourself" after you retired? How's it going?