The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Super Social Butterfly

Re: Structure in Our Retirement Lives

Message 11 of 26 (4,315 Views)

A couple years after I retired, I created structure when I built a shed in the back yard.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 12 of 26 (2,941 Views)

I'm not exactly sure how this forum works, but if it's similar to all the others I belong to, self promotion is not permitted.

ml1776 wrote:
Hi there, I worked for a company that led me to long hours and exhaustion. I left at the end of 2010 and re-invented my entire work life. I am a teacher and speaker. The name of my book is How to Get Your Joy Back! - A Women's Guide to Midlife Career Transformation. I would love to have your review on Amazon. It is only $2.99 for the Kindle edition right now. Wishing you good luck on your exploration of how to work in various locations. This book could help you out, especially if you like to write.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 26 (2,045 Views)
Hi there, I worked for a company that led me to long hours and exhaustion. I left at the end of 2010 and re-invented my entire work life. I am a teacher and speaker. The name of my book is How to Get Your Joy Back! - A Women's Guide to Midlife Career Transformation. I would love to have your review on Amazon. It is only $2.99 for the Kindle edition right now. Wishing you good luck on your exploration of how to work in various locations. This book could help you out, especially if you like to write.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 14 of 26 (3,253 Views)

I had planned to work until I reached 70, but was forced into retirement 2 years ago.  While upset about it, in a way it seemed like fate as my mother's condition kept getting worse and I had to place her into LTC and then deal with the process of them stabilizing her as she had gone into a hate mode and had even become suicidal.  That took about 10 months.  I then spent the next 8 not only visiting with her every day, but trying to sort through and get rid of the stuff that I kept from her apartment when I closed it out.  Unfortunately my apartment was already in a disarray as I hadn't really had the time to keep it up for 2 years because my mother could not live alone and I kept my place, a co-op apartment, and moved in with my mom.  I still have a long way to go, but at least I don't look like a hoarder.

Last September I then tripped and fell and fractured my left shoulder so that took up a great deal of the next four months while I went back and forth to doctors, PT and visiting my mother.  I also at the time decided that I needed to start creating a life for myself outside of my mom so I found a couple of free programs offered by the local community and hospital and I've put them on my calendar and have followed through on at least one of the activities for the month.  I also promised that I would go out to eat at least once a month alternating between breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I also just yesterday went to see a movie on the big screen, something I do rarely.

As of late I've been wasting a lot of time watching television and spending time on Facebook.  I really need to get a life...LOL.  I want to read, work on my logic and Sudoku puzzles and I have a website that needs to be altered so that it's mobile friendly.

Prior to retiring, I didn't really use a calendar, but this year I decided I would use it.  I've been using it now for about 9 months and it has helped a great deal.  What I still need to do is structure in time for cleaning . . . oh, how I hate it.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 26 (3,291 Views)

sg3843 wrote:

My very demanding profession was cut short when the company I worked for laid me off at 62 (along with many other mid level management staff).  Luckily I received a nice severance pay that lasted me a year.  Now a year later I am trying to decide what to do.  I have been enjoying travel, grandchildren, home remodeling and having the freedom to set my own schedule.  

Somedays I miss the structure and feeling that I was providing great input resulting in having a successful team.  

My husband still works in VA.  I spend 4 months of the year in Phoenix where 3 of my 6 grandchildren live.  I would love a part time job or being a active volunteer.  My next step is to explore how to do this while being in various locations.  

I hope that you will update us as to what you found out.  I will be looking at the same situation!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 16 of 26 (3,630 Views)

@celammers - I have neither a husband, nor a job for the past 15 years, so I've gotten used to providing structure for myself!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 26 (3,647 Views)

Structure has been important  and creating it an aggravation in retirement for me.  I was a single parent who put myself through college for a second degree, so structure was necessary and afforded me the ability to provide a better lifestyle. 

I have a saying, ' you either need  a husband or a job' ; both provide structure.  Another saying is ' one is either making money or spending it'. I was concerned about the cost of retirement, what would I do without a lot of money.  For the first eight years of retirement I worked at fun jobs- in Yellowstone National Park and at Ski resorts.  For the last few months I have been helping me son's family with a major move.  Now there is a need for a new focus and structure. 

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 18 of 26 (3,598 Views)

My very demanding profession was cut short when the company I worked for laid me off at 62 (along with many other mid level management staff).  Luckily I received a nice severance pay that lasted me a year.  Now a year later I am trying to decide what to do.  I have been enjoying travel, grandchildren, home remodeling and having the freedom to set my own schedule.  

Somedays I miss the structure and feeling that I was providing great input resulting in having a successful team.  

My husband still works in VA.  I spend 4 months of the year in Phoenix where 3 of my 6 grandchildren live.  I would love a part time job or being a active volunteer.  My next step is to explore how to do this while being in various locations.  

Gold Conversationalist

Message 19 of 26 (5,015 Views)

Interesting. I just finished a chapter in a book I received from a coworker when I retired at the end of January that talked about structure and the need for it in retirement.

My life has been somewhat structured since retirement; mainly due to me moving in the fall and putting off organizing the new house. Now I have a beautifully organized basement. Myy PC files and Google Drive are also well organized. I spent the past two months orgnaizing things I have put off.

I am an organized person. After retirement, I realized I still wanted a task list. I juts recently began using it more.

Back to the book, "The Joy of not Working"... A take-away I had from the last chapter I read is to be more conscious of building structure. The type of structure is more about having a normal fitness routine and just some daily, weekly or whatever check-ins on the calendar to keep me healthy, involved and active. I need to give this more thought right now.

Thanks for posting the thread.

Tom

Message 20 of 26 (5,001 Views)

My comments about having things on my calendar, but a lot of flexibility, are coming back to bite me you-know-where this weekend!

I had plans to attend a political dinner Friday night, and an all-day conference on Saturday .. and then my fridge went on the fritz! The repair person who was supposed to come "late morning" .. so I'd have plenty of time to get ready for the big dinner .. didn't show up until 3 PM, and by the time he left I just didn't feel like rushing to get ready & head out! Despite his "patch", when I got up this morning .. looking forward to my day out .. the refrigerator was 13 deg above normal, and it seemed more prudent to do my research on replacement refrigerators (if it came to that), and check out a few places. So today's conference was a casualty of the fridge too. Smiley Sad The best laid plans .. At least I know that if I were still working, I'd have no flexibility, and would have lost a vacation day yesterday!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!