Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Silver Conversationalist

Re: Retiring early - share your experience! Please!

Message 11 of 17 (2,853 Views)

@pattyecalling Hi!  I retired at 58--the first to do so in my family (second generation).  After over 43 years of punching someone else's time clock, it was time for a change.  It was easy to let go because I was simply bored to-the-teeth of the politics and how the work culture was changing; it was no longer about the team.

It was time to go, and I was ready, and I went out the way I wanted to go out (no circus or superficial "thank you for your service jestures or check-off list send off).  I made a quiet dignified drama-free exit. THANKFULLY!

I keep in touch with those former colleagues who want to do so.  I've learned that some don't want to see people who have successfully retired.  And, there are those who are shocked at how happy I am AND, that I still keep in contact with them and others.  Weird?!! I retired from a long career life; I didn't retire my personality or my life...

What I didn't realise is that my nieces and nephews were taking mental notes on my attitude towards aging and retirement.  It's very humbling.  I'm just living my life as I always have.  I just don't work at a paying job.  

During this year's tax season I was lamenting to my 36 year old Nephew about how my tax-free party was over.  Decades of maxing out in the company supplemental savings plans kicked me in to lower tax brackets.  My nephew looked shocked and commented, " You're RETIRED, why are you paying taxes?!  That was an aha moment for me.  It was an opportunity for me to challenge their expectation about their perceptions of what it means to age and retire.

Fey Lady
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 17 (2,832 Views)
pattyecalling,
It sounds like you have given a lot of thought about your situation; Change can be scary or exciting. It is an opportunity to try something new. Only you will know if this is the right decision for you. I wish you all the best.
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 17 (2,867 Views)

I retired at 55. But, we all have different interests, finances, family, plans (or lack thereof). I do end up doing one thing you mentioned --- too much TV in the winter. I don't have winter hobbies aside from working out everyday and doing some volunteer work. But, I am married and we have family in the area and end up seeing them more than we used to.  For 8 months of the year, I have more than enough stuff to do, including travel.

DW and I had the same concerns as you. We had private insurance (DW still does --- not yet on Medicare) and we spent several years really taking a hard look at finances. That included me tracking all our income and expenses, to the penny, for over two years. We then built in projections for future expenses (people vastly underestimate house and auto upkeep). I would advise you be sure about your finances, as best you can. It sounds like you've given this a lot of thought. But, 'hard numbers' is something you need to sleep at night. 

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 14 of 17 (2,349 Views)

Thanks for the encouragement.  I really appreciate it.  I'm a worry wort and I know that doesn't help any. And I'm one of those people who likes to know what is coming (at least as much as possible). I'm the planner in the family! I'm sure it will all be fine. It's just a HUGE change!  Thanks again.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 17 (2,290 Views)

@pattyecalling

Change can be scary, but I've found embracing rather than fighting it makes me the champion of my own life. Smiley Happy

We know a fellow who retired at 60 and who rides 8,000 miles a year on his road bike plus mountain bikes, windsurfs, snowshoes and mountaineers ... he's incredibly fit and also incredibly well read and informed, a total joy with whom to converse. 

Follow your passions. His is obviously fitness and current events. What's yours? Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 17 (1,942 Views)

I retired very young, but had to spend the first few years as a family caregiver. Sure, there are days that are a little slow, but I'm not sorry I retired early, nor have I been bored!

I have a good friend who worked into her late 60s, because she was afraid of being bored .. but once she retired, she got busier than ever!

I always say that the only people who "get bored", are those who aren't putting much effort into finding things to keep busy! Besides being with grandchildren, you can volunteer for any number of organizations in which you have an interest. You can take reasonably priced continuing education programs at local colleges, as well as day trips. You can check out Meet-up, to find groups of like-minded retirees & others in your age range, to do all sorts of things.

Good luck!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Retiring early - share your experience! Please!

Message 17 of 17 (1,720 Views)

I am planning on retiring in April 2018 when I turn 62. I have worked for the same employer for 33 years and am fortunate enough to have a decent retirement. I won't be doing a lot of travelling or buying a new car but I should be comfortable, making a little more than I am working!  I have 3 grandchildren that I really want to spend more time with before Grandma isn't "the bomb" anymore, be a little more involved in my church, and open to other things. But after just taking a week off from work, I'm afraid I will be bored.  I'm so used to having a specific purpose every day; I'm used to being surrounded by great people with lots of laughs (lots of crap too!) and great working relationships.  I am not a highly motovated person and am afraid I'll spend way too much time in front of the TV, especially in the winter months!  I really don't want to work any more.  33 years is a long time to give to one organization. It's now time for ME.  (Besides, I can't keep up with the changes in technology and all the young people around me).  My retirement is all contingent on what Trump does with health care and economy.  I have budgeted a nice monthly sum for insurance premiums but it may not be enough or change over the next three years until I can get on Medicare.  It all frightens me. I'm a single woman supporting myself.  Anyway, would love to get some feedback. Thanks.