The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Conversationalist

Re: Reinvention After Retirement?

Message 11 of 22 (1,988 Views)

Read, w rite, volunteer. Do one, or all three. You've experienced life like no other, so write your story. Also, there is a huge need for volunteers everywhere. You would be doing others a great service and be rewarded for helping. Take a book and go sit on a park bench to read Talk to strangers. Life should not end at retirement, but begin. At 77 years young, I deliver papers all over town twice a month and work in a bar every weekend checking ID's and greeting people with a smile. So much to do, so little time. I'm happy.

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 22 (2,680 Views)
very true. In Africa, they do not refrigerate food or stock up so they have to walk to the store everyday. Of course, the weather is more accomodating
Info Seeker

Message 13 of 22 (2,832 Views)

After suffering from depression and self imposed isolation upon retiring, young (58), I attended a program keynoted by Rick Moody, a former AARP executive.  He said men and women suffer similar tough experiences upon retirement, but women handle these issues so much better than men.  Women socially network better than men, women disclose personal matters more openly and women handle change better than men.  He added that more help is available to women and women are much more likely to ask for help than men.  I leaned over to my wife (who made me attend to get me out of the house) and I said, "That's what I'm going to do.  I'm going to start a men's group for men in transition to retirement and aging".  

I struggled but eventually talked 9 other men to join me in our first meeting, 10/19/2009.  Today Men's Wisdom Works has 14 groups with 140 men participating.  It has been life saving and life changing for MWW Members.  Read our website at mwwasheville.com or our blogpost at groupsformen.blogspot.com.  Our members tell their stories of renewal in retirement.

Info Seeker

Reinvention After Retirement?

Message 14 of 22 (2,988 Views)

Getting In That Needed Walk

Yes, everyone says that walking is a good form of excercise.  Sometimes it is tough to get out when it is too hot or too cold.  Walking through my gigantic, climate controlled supermarket is my answer.  Fight the urge to buy a week's supply of groceries and buy only enough for the day.  Next day you can be back at the store pushing their four wheeled walker up and down their spacious aisles, easily getting in your needed walk.   

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 22 (3,383 Views)

d451933h wrote:

In my 20's I has such dreams. Then reality hit and I allowed work and life to imprison me for decades. I am now 64 and a half and just took an early retirement package. I'm not rich, but hope to reinvent myself, or perhaps rediscover myself is a better term, and to earn an income again. Enough to supplement social security or replace it. But a meaningful income, doing things that fulfill my soul, not just filling my wallet.

Is there a specific forum, website, book that addresses retirees who are seeking to rediscover their long lost dreams and maybe achieve at least some of them?

Thanks in advance.

DH

Best of luck in your journey. I hope you find what you are looking for.  I have been blessed in really enjoying my work and all I am looking forward to in retirement is a little more rest and travel time 

when you think back is there a fork where you wish you had made a different turn?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 16 of 22 (3,386 Views)

SIMPLEGAL wrote:
Epster,
Thank you for recommending https://www.growingbolder.com
FANTASTIC!

@SIMPLEGAL  Aren't they a great, inspiring, uplifting, challenging outfit? I almost wish I could work there! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 22 (3,324 Views)
Epster,
Thank you for recommending https://www.growingbolder.com
FANTASTIC!
Recognized Social Butterfly

Reply: Reinvention After Retirement?

Message 18 of 22 (3,170 Views)

d451933h ,

May all your dreams come true!  What are you planning to do?

d451933h wrote:

In my 20's I has such dreams. Then reality hit and I allowed work and life to imprison me for decades. I am now 64 and a half and just took an early retirement package. I'm not rich, but hope to reinvent myself, or perhaps rediscover myself is a better term, and to earn an income again. Enough to supplement social security or replace it. But a meaningful income, doing things that fulfill my soul, not just filling my wallet.

Is there a specific forum, website, book that addresses retirees who are seeking to rediscover their long lost dreams and maybe achieve at least some of them?

Thanks in advance.

DH

Message 19 of 22 (2,858 Views)

@wilful Not that I know of. They are based in Winter Park, Florida. 

They put out some wonderful stuff, I know that. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 22 (2,410 Views)

Hi Epster - Just curious..  Does Growing Bolder have any connection in or to Boulder Co?  I did not find the answer at the web site.  They all sure look like a good bunch of folks with whom to be associated.