The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Regular Social Butterfly

Re: Reinvention After Retirement?

Message 1 of 22 (625 Views)

Hi d451933h - How fortunate for you that you got out of Florida before the devastating hurricane!  You are a lucky person! 

The dreams about the old career will prob never stop.  My three prominent careers still pop up quite often, and altho I enjoyed them while working - I'm always happy when I wake up - knowing that phase of my life is gone.  Wake up and hit the ground running!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 22 (635 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

I have to say hats off to all of you who want to re-invent yourselves after retirement.  After all these years, when I retire, I want to lay on the couch. LOL

Well, if you think about it, that's not what you did before. Therefore, you'll need to change your routine to accomodare that lifestyle. Who knows? Reinventing yourself to a couch potato might not be as simple as it seems. You'll need remote controls for a lot more things.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 22 (642 Views)

I have to say hats off to all of you who want to re-invent yourselves after retirement.  After all these years, when I retire, I want to lay on the couch. LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 22 (651 Views)
Thanks for asking. I managed to leave my career and then relocate 2,800 miles from Florida to Idaho, selling a house and buying a house and so I have been so busy with that I am only now doing the necessary work to figure out who I am post career, and what I am going to do with the rest of my life. I know photography and writing are two areas I have always enjoyed, and have brought meaning to my life, but I need to now work on developing these talents.
It has been 2 1/2 months since my last day at my job, so why do I still have dreams of the place every night? Anyone know when that will stop?
Thanks again!

Message 5 of 22 (667 Views)
d451933h,
How is your rediscovery journey going?
Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 22 (750 Views)

Working with a life coach is a great way to begin the journey. The coach can ask powerful questions that help you create what you want. I find coaching to be a necessity which is why I became one prior to leaving my long-standing corporate career. I worked part-time with individuals and now I work full-time coaching others in their desire to live a more balanced, free and desired life.

Message 7 of 22 (842 Views)

I've always been thinking about re-inventing myself my whole life. It still comes down to resources. So far, I've just been dreaming my life away and settling for what's available.

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 22 (1,031 Views)

I just posted this link on another forum.  But you ask a similar question.

Start here and you will find links to other articles that will pop-en your mind and allow you to discover options that work for you: https://www.retirementincome.net/supplemental-retirement-income/stop-looking-for-a-job/

I think the biggest issue for retirees seeking to reinvent themselves is lack of confidence.  They do not see the value they can provide. Their view is limited by confines of a job that they cannot find anyway.

My suggestion: be bold. Speak up. Pick up the phone and make that call.

You can learn anything new--the Internet came along just as you needed it.  You can find answers, education, and world experts on ANY topic in 5 minutes. As long as you believe you can self-learn,  you've got it made.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 22 (1,685 Views)
I retired from teaching elementary school at 55 yrs of age. I tried being a real estate agent, but found it unsatifying. I decided that since I was interested in keeping fit I would become a personal trainer! It is the best decision I ever made. I started work immediately after I was graduated and have not stopped. I was asked to work in our therapuetic pool and have not looked back since. I have been working now for 10 years as an aqua fitness instructor and love the people I work with and the feeling I have of making a difference in the lives of the people I work with as well as mine. Follow your passions and you will be happy for doing so!
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 22 (2,185 Views)

kayecrwfrd wrote:

Read, w rite, volunteer. Do one, or all three. You've experienced life like no other, so write your story. Also, there is a huge need for volunteers everywhere. You would be doing others a great service and be rewarded for helping. Take a book and go sit on a park bench to read Talk to strangers. Life should not end at retirement, but begin. At 77 years young, I deliver papers all over town twice a month and work in a bar every weekend checking ID's and greeting people with a smile. So much to do, so little time. I'm happy.

Wow the bar position was very creative!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith