AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Info Seeker +

Re: Has "Retired" Become a 4-Letter Word?

Message 1 of 40 (2,044 Views)
I have just turned 62 and in the process of retiring, hopefully June 1 of this year. And I can't wait! My husband has been retired over 3 years and now I am following. Have things to do, places to see.

I agree though that it seems that the push is not to retire. Keep working as long as you can. In my opinion, if you are able, go for it. I remember when my mother was going to retire. She was worried and I kept talking her into it. She already had a massive heart attack and she was in a very stressful position. She enjoyed her last years. Her comment "I don't know how I ever found the time to work."
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 40 (2,522 Views)

I agree with you 100%. I am a 55-year-old single woman and I was forced into retirement, and now I don't even know if I'll have enough to make it till I'm even 65. I've had over seven surgeries in the last six years, and I just now got told I have to have two more.  So I can't even tried to work at this time so what's a person to do. Being single everyone thinks you're rich but I have to pay all the bills myself, and I have a school bill it's taking a lot longer to pay off.  The sad thing is I haven't even got to use what I went to school for, a bachelors in human services. By the time I heal from all my surgeries who knows if anyone will hire me, even part time. Which I've been told by doctors that's all I can do now is work part time. 

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 40 (2,533 Views)

dl73698250 wrote:

cs894 wrote:

My husband and I retired one year ago and haven't looked back. Fortunately my husband's company had a pension plan, and we'd always saved. We left the cold weather and enjoy not hearing the term "chill factor."    Why would retirement be a four letter word?

Ever hear of "forced retirement"? Or "term limits"? It's hard to start a worthwhile project and not be able to finish it. Personally, I hate leaving behind unfinished buisness. Maybe that's why some people never get started in the first place. Retirement is a four letter word when those four letters are "Q U I T"

I was forced out of my job because I had to have surgery on my knee and was going to be out for three months, and they told me that if I did not show back up to work the day after my surgery I would be considered abandonment of my job. I did not want that on my record so I told him I quit, and the aftermath I probably should've let them put that on my record and then father them. But they had me  at a time when I was vulnerable with worrying about my surgery. So the only thing I could do was go and had to use some of my retirement to live on, and now I'm worried if I'm going to make it.  The real sad part was this was an agency that was supposed to help people with disabilities, and that's what I had.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 40 (2,534 Views)

I was forced out of my job because I had to have surgery on my knee and was going to be out for three months, and they told me that if I did not show back up to work the day after my surgery I would be considered abandonment of my job. I did not want that on my record so I told him I quit, and the aftermath I probably should've let them put that on my record and then father them. But they had me  at a time when I was vulnerable with worrying about my surgery. So the only thing I could do was go and had to use some of my retirement to live on, and now I'm worried if I'm going to make it.  The real sad part was this was an agency that was supposed to help people with disabilities, and that's what I had.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 40 (3,255 Views)
That's what I'm talking about j911638w!! Keep doing the things you love!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 40 (3,373 Views)

cs894 wrote:

My husband and I retired one year ago and haven't looked back. Fortunately my husband's company had a pension plan, and we'd always saved. We left the cold weather and enjoy not hearing the term "chill factor."    Why would retirement be a four letter word?

Ever hear of "forced retirement"? Or "term limits"? It's hard to start a worthwhile project and not be able to finish it. Personally, I hate leaving behind unfinished buisness. Maybe that's why some people never get started in the first place. Retirement is a four letter word when those four letters are "Q U I T"

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 40 (3,375 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@cs894 - I started this discussion, after reading endless articles encouraging people to continue working (past 65), or to "have a 2nd act" doing something else full-time. I understand continuing to work if you love what you do, or can't afford to retire, but I got the feeling that unlike the 90s, where everyone's goal was to be able to retire early & enjoy life, all of these articles were trying to brainwash us that continuing to work was the only way to stay physically & mentally active .. which I think is garbage!

I just bought tickets to 3 shows for the spring, to see with a friend. I love being retired!

As fast as the world is changing, there is a minimum amount of work that has to be done. Some say that you don't need to be an electrician to turn on the lights. However, you do need to know which switches do what. If you don't make an effort to stay "qualified" with progress, you could find yourself in a world that you no longer recognize. And then you won't be able to function in it.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 40 (3,375 Views)

miklos50 wrote:

I believe that people who try to dissuade you from retirement are ones who are afraid to retire. I think that they are deathly scared of death or boredom. There is no such thing as boredom if you have life in you. Life is full of excitement and there for the taking , no matter what thrills you. Take what you want from it , you've earned it. 

This is one of life's puzzles. After working for someone else, you don't have time to work for yourself untill you're retired. I think the main question you have to ask yourself before decide what to do after retiement is, "Am I leaving behind any unfinished buisness?". Especially people with children. I don't think anyone wants their children to inherit a mess. But then again, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Oh, what to do.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 40 (3,381 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@johnitag - That's EXACTLY what I was talking about, that even after we've retired, AARP encourages us to be "Human Doings" instead of "Human Beings". Do people 50+ really need a quiz to figure out if they have a passion for something in life, and that they need to have more goals & accomplishments .. instead of just enjoying life?

It makes me wonder what God did after he rested on the seventh day.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 40 (3,698 Views)

@pm2359 - This may not be a popular statement, but Social Security was never intended to cover retirees' expenses, only to help out.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!