Help AARP Foundation Rush Aid to Seniors Affected by Flooding in Louisiana. Give Now

Super Social Butterfly

MOVE: Has anyone done a long distance move with a pod?

Message 1 of 22 (1,500 Views)

Margieann, 

You picked a good company!  We are relocating from California to Florida and our moving company is 2 weeks behind schedule and still can't give us a definite delivery date.  This move has been an expensive and frustrating experience.  I want to warn everyone about this situation.  We have contacted several Government agencies and have filed complaints with the BBB (Better Business Bureau).  BEWARE!

Info Seeker

Re: Has anyone done a long distance move with a pod?

Message 2 of 22 (1,541 Views)

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 22 (1,670 Views)
Hi
My daughter and I just moved to florida from pennsylvania and we used u- pack pods to move our stuff. For $1,779.00 two pods were delivered right in front of our rented row house (u-pod paid for parking permits) on a friday in Nov. We packed the smaller stuff. The monday following some hourly helpers loaded the rest. On tuesday we loaded the car for the dtive to florida. On wednesday the pods were picked up and taken to a central location in philadelphia. By Friday they were on their way to florida (thursday was thanksgiving) they arrived in florida outside of our rented apartment the following Tuesday and were unloaded on wednesday. The next day they were picked up to go back to a central location in florida.
We gave them a 5 star review on their website
U-Pack has the cheapest rates with 5 star service.
Margieann Bell

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 22 (2,450 Views)

Where were you coming from and going to?

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 22 (3,635 Views)
Thank you for providing such a clear picture of your experience. I plan to make a long distance move by the end of this year and have had a hard time trying to find a professional mover at an economical price. I was afraid to try the "pod" moving idea, because I thought it would be more expensive. I have had to pack for moving all my life, so the packing portion does not bother me. I was worried about the cost. You have given me security and removed my fear of using a "pod" to move long distance.
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 22 (3,641 Views)

I did and it worked out great.

I had it in front of my home for a month and packed it as I could. I could not have done it without my son-in-law. When I got here, I put up a sign asking for help (pod and pizza party). Only 2 men showed up. But the put the furnature in the right room and all the boxes in the garage - no more than 2 high. I could do the rest.

My brother also did a pod. He had friends help him load it - one had experience and knew about distributing weight. At the other end of the move, he hired a local company (2 Men and a Truck) to unload it for him.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 22 (3,655 Views)

I used UHAUL box to move from DC to MN and it worked well.  I had everything ready to go and paid some fantastic movers recommended by UHAUL to load the box and take it back to Uhaul.  The only negative is that you loose control once the box leaves you.  There was a problem loading it onto a truck for the move so it took longer.  Once it gets to the destination, you can take your time off loading.  I would recommend this method and would use it again.  I also have friends that had good success going from DC to WA and from DE to VA.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 22 (3,723 Views)

My wife's piano has been the bane of my existance for years. I will have to have it professionally crated and uncrated. Since I posted this we have had several conversations on how to deal with the move.

The plan now is to move the bulk of our stuff in October of this year and live minimally until we can settle some things and do a complete move to New Mexico.  I think I have her talked into packing boxes ourselves as we will have plenty of time but we both agree we want someone to pack (and unpack) the pod. Assuming we go that route.  

One issue is moving to Las Cruces is off the beaten path.  Pack-Rat would not deliver a pod but would set aside a section of their truck for us. I hae time to keep looking but I suspect I am going to end up hiring a "real" mover for this. Still, I really like the pod idea. 

Message 9 of 22 (3,731 Views)

cattailsfarm wrote:

We used a similar service (United Mayflower) to move from rural Illinois to Sarasota. It worked very well for us. Nothing was broken or noticeably marred, even with mostly old blankets for padding. Your mention of a baby grand piano raises several concerns, though.

I'm sure I don't know the right way to pack a heavy piano for a long, bumpy ride (on its side? disassembled and on its side?). You should research this, even if you end up hiring a full-up moving company. One thing I'm fairly sure of--put nothing on top of the piano. Extra weight would increase risk to the instrument. 

Best of luck.

We had the piano moved from our condo to our house and they took the legs off, crated the body, wapped it in bubble wrap, and moved the crate on its side. I would have someone crate and uncrate this thing who knew what they were doing. Certainly, not me. 

Message 10 of 22 (3,736 Views)

PRN wrote:

Pod is a company name. There are other companies that do the same thing differently. Smaller cubes, different rates, etc.

I am not sure what the generic name for these things are.  Not shipping containers.  I am afraid the 
Pod people may lose control of the name as it becomes generic.