Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต Find Out if the Rust Belt Is Right for Your Retirement (AARP Article)

Trusted Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต Find Out if the Rust Belt Is Right for Your Retirement (AARP Article)

ANYONE MOVED BACK TO THEIR "HOMETOWN" TO RETIRE OR LEFT FLORIDA OR WANT TO MOVE TO FLORIDA?  ๐Ÿค”  WELL, I AM LIVING IN "BOTH" FLORIDA AND VIRGINIA WHILE I "VERY SLOWLY" MOVE BACK TO FLORIDA. RETIRED!  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

FROM THE ARTICLE - SEE ARTICLE FOR MORE.

Is the Rust Belt Right for Your Affordable Retirement?

Older industrial cities tout low-cost housing, revitalized downtowns to draw back retirees with local roots.

By Michael Anft, AARP. Published March 13, 2024.

When a couple of financial adviser Ryan Carneyโ€™s clients grew tired of retirement living in Florida last year, they picked up stakes and returned to their old hometown, the Sunshine Stateโ€™s polar opposite: Buffalo, New York.

Low living costs, well-established health care facilities, a downtown makeover and proximity to Niagara Falls have helped make the Rust Belt city on Lake Erie more attractive to retirees like them, despite its lake-effect snowstorms and subzero temperatures.

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/planning-for-retirement/info-2024/rust-belt-retirement.html

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

The rust belt better be, as here I am stuck.   My house has been paid off for years, yet not increased in significant value to allow me to sell & freely buy elsewhere.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but again not a great thing.  

Not everyone's retirement is happy joy, joy..  fun in the sun, playing golf daily, cards at the club in Coconut Creek with your friends, visiting the grandkids, deciding what color your new Lexus will be, or several yearly vacations. You have to.....

oscarlogic_S.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/18/24) Lol @Tempest332 , it's been awhile and I am VERY OLD = is that Oscar?  ๐Ÿค”

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

The rust belt better be, as here I am stuck.    Not everyone's retirement is happy joy, joy..  playing golf daily, or cards at the club in Coconut Creek with your friends, visiting the grandkids, several yearly vacations. You have to..... ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Yes, that is Oscar.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/18/24) @Tempest332 , darn - I thought you had won the lottery and moved to the Rust Belt since you had not posted recently. Oh well...  ๐Ÿ‘ต

Bronze Conversationalist

Or dropped over. ๐Ÿ˜•

Winning the lottery wouldn't necessarily matter unless it was substantial sum, but I don't play the lottery, as I can't say I ever won anything significant in my life. 

I'm not currently retired, a couple years back the carpet was pulled out from underfoot, delaying that, as well as living costs being based on dual income households, & I don't plan on getting my pay doubled at anytime soon, especially after I retire. 

Regular Contributor

I had just got out of the military (Vietnam era) and my savings were nearly gone.  My new (then) wife and I bought groceries with the last of our money.  Unemployment benefits were still a month away.  I was accepted to college but the semester (and GI Bill payments) wouldnโ€™t start for another month.  My wife had just started a new job and was waiting for her first check (that would pay rent).  Looked like it was going to be a hungry monthโ€ฆ.but I used my last dollar to buy a lottery ticket at the grocery store.  Won $100 cash!  Equivalent to about $500 these days.  That money saved us from going hungry.  Iโ€™ve never won a single lottery prize since!

Bronze Conversationalist

At least you weren't stuck in the Rust Belt! 

Trusted Social Butterfly

(4/14/24) THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!  How ironic @AZBlueSkies , I had just won my 1st $100 last week from a $1 Scratch Off lottery ticket. Usually I get a FREE ticket or $1. I ONLY spend $2 each week for two $1 tickets when I go for groceries at Walmart.  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @AZBlueSkies wrote:

I had just got out of the military (Vietnam era) and my savings were nearly gone.  My new (then) wife and I bought groceries with the last of our money.  Unemployment benefits were still a month away.  I was accepted to college but the semester (and GI Bill payments) wouldnโ€™t start for another month.  My wife had just started a new job and was waiting for her first check (that would pay rent).  Looked like it was going to be a hungry monthโ€ฆ.but I used my last dollar to buy a lottery ticket at the grocery store.  Won $100 cash!  Equivalent to about $500 these days.  That money saved us from going hungry.  Iโ€™ve never won a single lottery prize since!  ***]

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP