Medicare Open Enrollment Ends Today. Learn More

Super Social Butterfly

"The Villages": Downsizing, Moving to Smaller Home

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 29 (2,162 Views)

This place looks like Disneyland for seniors.  Anyone live in "The Villages"?

http://www.thevillages4rent.com/prm_104/search.php

http://thevillages.com/index.htm

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Downsizing, Moving to Smaller Home

Message 2 of 29 (2,522 Views)
We just did this in June of this year. We moved from San Antonio Texas to South Carolina. We did exactly what you laid out in your message. It is a lot of work but it is worth it. We made a killing on the estate sale and we didn't have to do a thing. Then after the sale, we called the Salvation Army and they came and picked up everything else. We had everything all spruced up and brought back the things we were taking with us and sold our house within 2 weeks. Then we called the movers and they came and packed us up and moved us.
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 29 (2,540 Views)
Our plan is to just have an estate sale and sell everything.
Then when we downsize, we can start fresh with low cost used stuff and this time we will not buy more stuff than we need.
That way when we die, our kids will not have so much to deal with.
Conversationalist

Message 4 of 29 (2,591 Views)

We too have been married 25 years - college sweethearts - and we are definitely downsizing  within 2 years when my husband retires from his job.  It will be a huge win-win for our family - and every family needs to consider its own unique situation!   We are selling our home to our younger son and his new bride - for an excellent price, of course.  It is a top ranked suburb with fantastic neighbors and schools.   We can sell for a low price to our son, because we have owned the home for 30 years, and therefore it has appreciated significantly.  We long ago paid off the home free and clear - thanks to both of our careers.    We will take the money from the sale of the home - and pay cash for a nearby 2 bedroom/2 full bath - townhome.  We are tired of mowing/shoveling, home maintenance, etc.  We are in our late 50's.  We want to be near both our sons and their new young brides.  Our older son and wife own TWO large homes (they are keeping the first home our son bought right out of college, and renting it.  The renters are taking wonderful care of the home and covering all mortgage and real estate taxes, plus profit for our son).   They bought another big home, much closer to us, when they were married a year ago and they are expecting our first grandchild in March!   The last thing our family needs is another large home to maintain!   We will leave the home ownership and holiday and family entertaining to our sons and their wives!   They are excited about taking over the reins in that area!   We have already begun this transition... we have made more trips than we can count to Goodwill - and we have sold our bigger/nicer things on Craig's List with great success.  We first ask both sons and their wives if they want anything - and whatever they want - we are giving them.   We are more than ready for this change, and are taking only our master bedroom suite to the new townhome - and buying fresh/smaller furniture for the other rooms - an exciting prospect!  We will easily be able to afford (from the profits of the sale of our home to our son) to pay cash for a lovely unit, which is right across the street from our church - and right next door to a giant park/recreation area.  It is highly regarded and well managed by all accounts - and very affordable... a Plus!   It also has a large party room for tenants' use - and beautiful well-maintained swimming pool for tenants' use.   Within easy walking distance to shopping and grocery stores.   And most importantly, within 10 minutes from both sons.   We will use the remainder of the proceeds from our sale to completely finance all real estate taxes and homeowners' association fees - for 15-20 years - depending on the final price of the unit we choose.  We have done considerable research and done the math - regarding the townhome association we will be buying into.   All of this dramatically eases our minds about our future and finances... to say the least.  We will both have modest pensions - and we will have no debt of any type.  We also have very good savings/IRA's, etc.   We want to continue to help our children and grandchildren as much as we can going forward... our sons and their new wives (ages 25 to 31) all work hard and have wonderful jobs and excellent benefits - so we plan on rewarding and helping them in the future.   God Willing.   Downsizing solves many important issues in our growing family - and we are grateful for the wonderful opportunity it presents.  

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 29 (3,355 Views)

What is the compulsion to downsize? Why would any old person want to fold up his tent and live in a box? That idea is so stupid that anyone who is not disabled and unable to care for his own place who thinks he/she needs to downsize has been brainwashed by some uninformed twits who think they have captured ultimate wisdom from some spooky place (not heaven or God).

I want to accumulate more stuff! Why not? I might be able to give it to someone or use it myself. Also, if someone I know comes to town, they can stay with me and have a choice of whether thay want a king or a queen bed.

Why pay some foreigner big bucks to sleep in an uncomfortable and noisy hotel room? Don't think I could do that if I downsized.

Now, there could be a reason to go light and be ready to move at a moments notice. The way the government lies to us and infringes on our privacy and is interested in our money so much that they are willing to take most of it may cause a thinking person to leave this wonderful country thast is on a downhill trend with no leadership.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 29 (3,396 Views)

Debinnova wrote:
Please let me know if there is a better place to post this question.

We are in the process of deciding where to retire.  We have over 35 years worth of collections that cannot go with us.  I would love other's suggestions on how to go about this.  I'm having trouble with the timeline. 

We will probably want to sell our primary home first (as we have another vacation home on East Coast that has an underwater mortgage) and I don't want to own three houses at once!Surprised

Some advice is to declutter, donate, giveaway everything you can first.  Another option is to decide what is going with us and maybe place it in a pod, then have a "living estate" sale to sell all other furniture, antiques and household goods and whatever lis left is donated or tossed.  I've been advised if I'm thinking about doing the estate sale, I do not want to get rid of the small household items before that - as many come for the everyday household items.   So after the sale, we would have a clean slate and empty home to repaint and recarpet and get ready to sell.  But it won't have any furniture unless we then bring back the "pod furniture" to stage it.  Seems like alot of trouble.

I would love to hear what others have done.  This is a first downsizing for us and I can't justify $75/hr personal organizer, especiallty as this could take a LONG time. I'm a smart business woman but I just cannot figure out where to start.

Thanks!

I have successfully used Craigslist to sell things and we use Freecycle.org to give things away.

You will be amazed at the number of people on Craigslist shopping for bargains. Be prepared to be bargained with as well. 

Freecycle has "yahoo group" sites that allow you to post OFFER or WANTED posting with your general location.  Someone sends back a note to you when they want what you have and you make arrangements for them to pick up.  My wife and I always coordinate a time with the recipient and leave the item on the front porch to find it magically gone a while later. 

My wife and I are moving to a BIGGER house in retirment (26 months). We live in the DC area and are moving to our house in  NM so we can get much more house. Fewer rooms but greater square footage. We don't want to move most of what we have so we literally walked through the house and determined  Ship Now, Move later, Discard Later. Once we had things categorized, we just had to determine how to deal with the Ship Now. Discard later will be CL and FC after we sell the house. Good luck 

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 29 (3,411 Views)

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. We have started the process, but it is a slow process.  We have already donated a ton to several local charities.  I'm still considering the estate sale option since we will have moved ourselves and what belongings we want to keep out of the house before the sale.  Then anything left will be donated and house then empty and ready for new paint, carpet and repairs.

I keep going back and forth between keeping my lovely older furniture (more traditional) darker wood or selling and getting newer more modern furnishings for a lighter mood in retirement - especially in Florida.  Obviously I can keep some pieces, but I think it is time for a change.

I think Ebay and Craigslist could be options to sell larger/nicer pieces before the estate sale; although I'm a bit nervous about having strangers come to view the furniture in our home.  Have others done this and what precautions did you take?  We are not elderly (50 and 57) and still have our wits about us - or at least I think we do! LOL

Deb

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 29 (3,417 Views)
Having just had to go through 50+ years of accumulation of my parents I have two pieces of advice.  1) Call in the kids and ask what is special to them.  Talk about memories and what they would especialy want to have/keep and let them have it unless you just can't live without it.  2) Go through and make gifts to special people in your lives and then take each closet, room, drawer, and choose can I live without it, can I sell it, does it tell a special story, or can I toss it.  It it tells a special story, write it down and attach it somehow.  We have found so many things we didn't even know my dad had that I am sure have stories that go with them, but unfortunately he took them with him and we will never know what they are (like food stamp chips from the depression...had to look that one up).  Keep those that are part of family history, sell those that are worth selling (antiques, those you can track history on and don't want to keep), have a huge garage sale or two, donate to worthy charities in your area, toss bunches, and move on lighter.
I am just getting to my 50's and I'm already doing this because of what I'm going through with my parents.  Don't wait, your kids will think you for it later, and you will enjoy remembering and having less stuff to carry on.

In Response to Downsizing, Moving to Smaller Home:
Please let me know if there is a better place to post this question. We are in the process of deciding where to retire.  We have over 35 years worth of collections that cannot go with us.  I would love other's suggestions on how to go about this.  I'm having trouble with the timeline.  We will probably want to sell our primary home first (as we have another vacation home on East Coast that has an underwater mortgage) and I don't want to own three houses at once! Some advice is to declutter, donate, giveaway everything you can first.  Another option is to decide what is going with us and maybe place it in a pod, then have a "living estate" sale to sell all other furniture, antiques and household goods and whatever lis left is donated or tossed.  I've been advised if I'm thinking about doing the estate sale, I do not want to get rid of the small household items before that - as many come for the everyday household items.   So after the sale, we would have a clean slate and empty home to repaint and recarpet and get ready to sell.  But it won't have any furniture unless we then bring back the "pod furniture" to stage it.  Seems like alot of trouble. I would love to hear what others have done.  This is a first downsizing for us and I can't justify $75/hr personal organizer, especiallty as this could take a LONG time. I'm a smart business woman but I just cannot figure out where to start. Thanks!
Posted by Debinnova

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 29 (3,415 Views)

In Response to Re: Downsizing, Moving to Smaller Home:

As a Realtor  specializing in helping senoirs make the big move downward, the best advice I can give is detach yourself from the "stuff"you have accumulated.  Give family things to your kids, grandchildren and anyone else in the family that might want it.  Send a round-robin letter to all the family and list categories of things you are offering them:furniture, china, crystal, books, artwork etc. Second, when you sort your house one room at a time have separate boxes for family, estate sale, Salvantion Arumy and the dump.  Give things to your friends or neighbors that they have admired.  Do it all slowly if possible so you won't be stressed by such a big step.  Meg Titus Real Estate, 324-336-1909 or meg@teamtitus.net.
Posted by megtitus

GOOD for U! Personally I am going to stay in place until I am no longer around. Then my heirs can worry about our JUNK! Remember you know how much money you have or in my case don't have. But you don't know how much time you have left. We are all born with an expiration date. I have already passed the "sell by date."I have better things to do than what is recommended. Perhaps you may die in the middle of this mess or become disabled; then what? My lifetime accumilation (junk) does not bark at night nor does it mess up my yard. Does not bother me or anyone else. I will fly until I fly away!

Silver Conversationalist

Message 10 of 29 (3,549 Views)
My best advice would be not to rush into it.  Take it slow and easy.  Don't throw away anything that is still useful.  Put it on Freecycle, or give it to local charities.  Don't move too far from family.  We have friends who sold everything and moved 1500 miles away only to be miserable.  They sold everything again and came back.  Also, how is your health?  Make sure you will be able to get to health care facilitties when you move.  Take your time and best of luck to you.