Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Did You Have To Leave An Area You Loved Because You Simply Couldn't Afford To Retire There?

Regular Contributor

Did You Have To Leave An Area You Loved Because You Simply Couldn't Afford To Retire There?

I live in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and I moved here about a dozen years ago. I love my friends, my church, my doctors (I am a cancer survivor, and we have a great health care system in the Bay State). The problem is, I don't have enough to retire here, because there is simply no affordable senior housing except subsidized housing that is tiny, depressing and few and far between with an incredibly long waiting list. With my ex-husband's social security that I would collect after I retire, it looks like I would have too much income to qualify for one of them anyway. I live in a small apartment as it is, and have no family here. 

My sisters live in Florida, but they are constantly complaining about how the Republican government (I guess this is the case with the majority of Southern states) is making life harder and harder for the poor and elderly. I worry that I wouldn't be able to find the quality of medical care I have in Massachusetts, and if the Republican Congress does away with Medicare, it might be the only safe state to stay in where you can keep your health insurance. 

Did any of you have to make this hard choice? Where did you live and where did you end up retiring to? Or did you just stay put, grit your teeth, tighten your belt and learn to live more lean? How did it go? Did you regret your decision? Did it turn out to be a good thing? Did you wish you had stayed put? Thanks!

Periodic Contributor

Bunny5580: my husband and I moved to Enid, Oklahoma from central Texas two years ago. We did it because there was no way we would ever be able to pay off our home there and still retire and as I had enormous medical bills it just made sense to sell the place, pay off the bills and move. I have to admit I wasn't thrilled with the idea of moving here at first, but Enid has a small town feel to it even though there are over 50K people living here. The COL is so much better than it was in Texas too. Our home , a small two bedroom bungalow, just over 1000 sq ft, was less than 20K...our 1200 sq ft home in Texas was 95K........the added state income tax is neglible compared to the sales taxes in Texas...........the income for most jobs is on average >65 per hour less but the benefits are enormous. After 11 years in the same jobs and home in Texas we 'knew" 3 couples nearby and were able to count on one couple as friends...here we have found many couples that we can easily count on when we need assistance. It was honestly the best move we ever made.

Super Contributor

Thanks. I would consider OK City and Tulsa. Not fond of rural towns.
Honored Social Butterfly

@catrheaper wrote:

I live in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and I moved here about a dozen years ago. I love my friends, my church, my doctors (I am a cancer survivor, and we have a great health care system in the Bay State). The problem is, I don't have enough to retire here, because there is simply no affordable senior housing except subsidized housing that is tiny, depressing and few and far between with an incredibly long waiting list. With my ex-husband's social security that I would collect after I retire, it looks like I would have too much income to qualify for one of them anyway. I live in a small apartment as it is, and have no family here. 

My sisters live in Florida, but they are constantly complaining about how the Republican government (I guess this is the case with the majority of Southern states) is making life harder and harder for the poor and elderly. I worry that I wouldn't be able to find the quality of medical care I have in Massachusetts, and if the Republican Congress does away with Medicare, it might be the only safe state to stay in where you can keep your health insurance. 

Did any of you have to make this hard choice? Where did you live and where did you end up retiring to? Or did you just stay put, grit your teeth, tighten your belt and learn to live more lean? How did it go? Did you regret your decision? Did it turn out to be a good thing? Did you wish you had stayed put? Thanks!

You live in a beautiful area.. after spending some time there I called it Mercedes world.  We talked to some of the local workers who said that living there was extremely difficult cost wise, kind of like NYC.  So considering the costs;  is there the possibility of co-housing, shared living with a friend or relative?   It is sad that  you have to make a choice but at least you do have family that you would be near and as we age that is important as well.  Can you take some time to stay in Florida and see how you would like it?   

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Regular Contributor

I was considering Florida because my sisters live there, but I kid you not, they just announced on Facebook that when they are retired they are moving back to West Virginia where we grew up. I don't know how that would go; everybody we knew has either moved away or passed away. I moved away from home before either of them - I have lived almost twice as long in the Northeast than I ever did in WV. Even though I have very fond memories, it's not my home anymore and I can't see ever moving back. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@catrheaper wrote:

I was considering Florida because my sisters live there, but I kid you not, they just announced on Facebook that when they are retired they are moving back to West Virginia where we grew up. I don't know how that would go; everybody we knew has either moved away or passed away. I moved away from home before either of them - I have lived almost twice as long in the Northeast than I ever did in WV. Even though I have very fond memories, it's not my home anymore and I can't see ever moving back. 

Well West Virginia is a beautiful state.. wonderful for hiking and kayaking and lots of outdoor activities but with the economic difficulties I think that one would be  a tough one..  

Did you give any thought to sharing a home?  Any place you have loved to vacation in?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Social Butterfly

I'm considering that right now...half the town is gentrified with Whole Foods and "Shoppes", huge condo complexes catering to the tri-state commuter crowd. While the other side is urban wasteland. Can we afford the taxes when it will be on my  paycheck? **** no...the house was inheritated but the taxes...no. I'm trying to get ready for that day.

Honored Social Butterfly

I have a similar situation but from a little different perspective. As you are not supposed to do, we retired with a bit of our mortgage left; we can afford it no problem. The problem arises when we think of moving to downsize.

We love the area we are in. Close to a primo hospital, restaurants, financial institution, etc. When we start looking though, anything we look at, in our immediate area, that is any newer than where we live, is $100,000 more than we can afford.....even if we downsize. While our home has increased in value, newer homes have exponentially increased in value in this area. Our mortgage payment roughly equals a one bedroom apartment rent in the area.

So I guess I am staying where I am although it is getting harder to climb stairs so one day I might have to face moving.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP