Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Info Seeker

A Permanent Vacation Under the Florida Sun

Message 1 of 33 (2,880 Views)

What a great article. I am a Realtor and a resident in what I believe is the best retirement community in the US. The article hit all of the high points but until you come here and experienace The Villages in central Florida you don't know what it's like. If you are interested in learning more about The Villages FL I can assist as I mentioned I'm a Realtor and I sell in The Villages and other 55+ communitites in central Florida. Visit my website www.maycottproperties.com or I can be reached at 352-614-3002.

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: At what age is a good time to retire.

Message 2 of 33 (3,321 Views)

mb1mb1 wrote:

I am still working at 72, considering to retire in a few months. I take 10 weeks vacation a year now, so immediate retirement is not a factor as long as my health continues to  be good. Besides my golf game is not that good yet!!!!!

Good for you!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

Message 3 of 33 (3,423 Views)

I am still working at 72, considering to retire in a few months. I take 10 weeks vacation a year now, so immediate retirement is not a factor as long as my health continues to  be good. Besides my golf game is not that good yet!!!!!

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 4 of 33 (3,454 Views)

First issue is income - do you have enough?
Second issue - do you like your work? then continue as long as you do like it?

If you wan to know when other people retire, I saw a youtube video that showed various ages for different professions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5M10kRXW8Q

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 33 (4,901 Views)

at what age did you start the part time and how did you cover the insurance need before age 65?

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 33 (4,994 Views)
I will never be a burden to anyone or undergo medical treatments that merely allow me to 'exist'. Life is for living. Hell to me is sitting in the same room, in the same chair, for the next 20 years.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 33 (5,291 Views)

Retirement age is an individual choice based on "chance".    

Think achy joints are the main reason we slow down as we get older?    Blame the brain, too says science:   the part in charge of motion may start a gradual downhill slide at age 40.  

At 70 we can expect to deal with medical issues both great and small ....so much for the golden years.    However,  Congress who sits on their butts and only work 126 days a year wants to raise the retirement age because they are not covering the backs of the average potential  retirees .  

Remember,  people in the public and private sector  are set to gain from the financial implications of getting the longetivity  calculation wrong by estimating that EVERYONE will live to 90+.   With a phoney longevity number not only does today’s business grow but there will be a bonanza of surplus funds when the average customer drops dead ahead of expectations of living much past 70.   

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 33 (5,406 Views)

dc5880 wrote:

What is a good age to retire? I would like to when I reach 62 but the way the goverment is now I`m not sure.

I don't understand your comment about the government and why it would impact your decision about when you would retire.

I had an interesting and mentally challenging job and didn't plan on retiring before I was 70.  For my wife to claim her Social Security spousal benefit at 66, I had to claim my Social Security retirement benefit at 68.  I had intended to "file and suspend" and continue working but discovered that it was beneficial to actually retire at 68 due to upcoming changes to my employer's retirement plan.

One thing that people seem to forget is how much money one can save between 62 and their full retirement age.  Your living expenses are decreased during this time as your children, if any, have left home.  This allows you to substantially increase your retirement nest egg and create a significant retirement emergency fund.

The most important thing is that it removes the years with your lowest income from the 35 years used to calculate your Social Security retirement benefit.  In addition, your retirement benefit increases.  I thought I understood how my benefit would be calculated but was surprised to discover that my monthly benefit at 68 was essentially the same as what I would receive at 70 according to the last paper statement that I received from Social Security.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 33 (5,494 Views)

As you can see by all the answers we all have different ideas about retirement. For me it will be when I feel that I can no longer be productive and make a meaningful contribution to work. I am currently 65 and and have worked for the same company, in many different capacitices for 36 + years. I am looking forward to being around for at least another 5 years.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 33 (5,578 Views)

I retired at 56, two years ago. I was fortunate to do so after working 25 years for the NYC dept. Of correction. So, I'm collecting a pension (a rare animal indeed) with full benefits (health, dental and even eye glasses).  I spend time with my grandkids or whatever I want to do.