Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Work & Retirement

Info Seeker
Debinnova

Downsizing, Moving to Smaller Home

Please let me know if there is a better place to post this question.

We are in the process of deciding where to retire.  We have over 35 years worth of collections that cannot go with us.  I would love other's suggestions on how to go about this.  I'm having trouble with the timeline. 

We will probably want to sell our primary home first (as we have another vacation home on East Coast that has an underwater mortgage) and I don't want to own three houses at once!Surprised

Some advice is to declutter, donate, giveaway everything you can first.  Another option is to decide what is going with us and maybe place it in a pod, then have a "living estate" sale to sell all other furniture, antiques and household goods and whatever lis left is donated or tossed.  I've been advised if I'm thinking about doing the estate sale, I do not want to get rid of the small household items before that - as many come for the everyday household items.   So after the sale, we would have a clean slate and empty home to repaint and recarpet and get ready to sell.  But it won't have any furniture unless we then bring back the "pod furniture" to stage it.  Seems like alot of trouble.

I would love to hear what others have done.  This is a first downsizing for us and I can't justify $75/hr personal organizer, especiallty as this could take a LONG time. I'm a smart business woman but I just cannot figure out where to start.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
Debinnova

Downsizing, Moving to Smaller Home

Please let me know if there is a better place to post this question.

We are in the process of deciding where to retire.  We have over 35 years worth of collections that cannot go with us.  I would love other's suggestions on how to go about this.  I'm having trouble with the timeline. 

We will probably want to sell our primary home first (as we have another vacation home on East Coast that has an underwater mortgage) and I don't want to own three houses at once!Surprised

Some advice is to declutter, donate, giveaway everything you can first.  Another option is to decide what is going with us and maybe place it in a pod, then have a "living estate" sale to sell all other furniture, antiques and household goods and whatever lis left is donated or tossed.  I've been advised if I'm thinking about doing the estate sale, I do not want to get rid of the small household items before that - as many come for the everyday household items.   So after the sale, we would have a clean slate and empty home to repaint and recarpet and get ready to sell.  But it won't have any furniture unless we then bring back the "pod furniture" to stage it.  Seems like alot of trouble.

I would love to hear what others have done.  This is a first downsizing for us and I can't justify $75/hr personal organizer, especiallty as this could take a LONG time. I'm a smart business woman but I just cannot figure out where to start.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
StephenDresty12

Re: Downsizing, Moving to Smaller Home

great
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
BettyCM

In Response to Downsizing, Moving to Smaller Home:
Please let me know if there is a better place to post this question. We are in the process of deciding where to retire.  We have over 35 years worth of collections that cannot go with us.  I would love other's suggestions on how to go about this.  I'm having trouble with the timeline.  We will probably want to sell our primary home first (as we have another vacation home on East Coast that has an underwater mortgage) and I don't want to own three houses at once! Some advice is to declutter, donate, giveaway everything you can first.  Another option is to decide what is going with us and maybe place it in a pod, then have a "living estate" sale to sell all other furniture, antiques and household goods and whatever lis left is donated or tossed.  I've been advised if I'm thinking about doing the estate sale, I do not want to get rid of the small household items before that - as many come for the everyday household items.   So after the sale, we would have a clean slate and empty home to repaint and recarpet and get ready to sell.  But it won't have any furniture unless we then bring back the "pod furniture" to stage it.  Seems like alot of trouble. I would love to hear what others have done.  This is a first downsizing for us and I can't justify $75/hr personal organizer, especiallty as this could take a LONG time. I'm a smart business woman but I just cannot figure out where to start. Thanks!
Posted by Debinnova

Wow! It must be a bit overwhelming to downsize, after so many years. We all have too much stuff, dont we? I recently went to a sale where the folks were doing just that , downsizing,and moving out of state. I thought they were pretty clever about it. They gathered all the things they wanted to sell, and put them in a storage unit, then advertised the sale online, photos and all. They had folks come to the sale,  at the storage  center, buy what they wanted , and could negotiate the prices. The best thing was , they had control over what sold, and how much they accepted, and did not have to pay someone to sell it for them. I don't know if this would work for you, but, it is one option to consider. 

Online Community Manager,
Please use plain text.
Bronze Conversationalist
goldye

I'm a licensed realtor and here's my top 3 MUST do:  1. Hire a licensed home inspector or contractor and get in writing any major repairs that need to get done prior to the sale (roof, plumbing, electrical, water damage, mold, cracks, etc.)  Mortgage Lenders will refuse homebuyers if the inspection report shows your house needs repairs.  2. Your realtor will advise you to have minimum furniture and all walls should look freshly painted in neutral colors.  3.  Ask your realtor the average number of days homes stay unsold in your area.  This gives you an idea how quickly your home can be sold.
Please let me know if there is a better place to post this question. We are in the process of deciding where to retire.  We have over 35 years worth of collections that cannot go with us.  I would love other's suggestions on how to go about this.  I'm having trouble with the timeline.  We will probably want to sell our primary home first (as we have another vacation home on East Coast that has an underwater mortgage) and I don't want to own three houses at once! Some advice is to declutter, donate, giveaway everything you can first.  Another option is to decide what is going with us and maybe place it in a pod, then have a "living estate" sale to sell all other furniture, antiques and household goods and whatever lis left is donated or tossed.  I've been advised if I'm thinking about doing the estate sale, I do not want to get rid of the small household items before that - as many come for the everyday household items.   So after the sale, we would have a clean slate and empty home to repaint and recarpet and get ready to sell.  But it won't have any furniture unless we then bring back the "pod furniture" to stage it.  Seems like alot of trouble. I would love to hear what others have done.  This is a first downsizing for us and I can't justify $75/hr personal organizer, especiallty as this could take a LONG time. I'm a smart business woman but I just cannot figure out where to start. Thanks!
Posted by Debinnova

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
sandrabungerz

Posted by Debinnova
Please keep in mind that you can donate items of historical value to your local historical society, museum or township. Donation is a fantastic way to leave a legacy of your family's history.

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
shell93013

Luckily (or unluckily) for me...we have moved numerous times over the years. Downsized along the way. My sister, however, just moved into a place 1/2 the size of her 35 year residence. Started room by room. One box for throw away, one box for donate, one box to give to the kids, one box to save, Add a box to sell.  This helped her get rid of 1/2 her stuff.  I would also suggest getting a POD or some such thing for larger items to save/sell/etc.  She is moved into her new home and STILL sorting out what she wants to keep or toss.  LONG project.  Start with an overall pile of trash or donate then...Do one room at a time.  Good Luck!!!

There is also an article on AARP about selling things via craigslist, garage sale, ebay etc.  Search for this, very helpful

Please let me know if there is a better place to post this question. We are in the process of deciding where to retire.  

We have over 35 years worth of collections that cannot go with us.  I would love other's suggestions on how to go about this.  I'm having trouble with the timeline.  We will probably want to sell our primary home first (as we have another vacation home on East Coast that has an underwater mortgage) and I don't want to own three houses at once! Some advice is to declutter, donate, giveaway everything you can first.  Another option is to decide what is going with us and maybe place it in a pod, then have a "living estate" sale to sell all other furniture, antiques and household goods and whatever lis left is donated or tossed.  I've been advised if I'm thinking about doing the estate sale, I do not want to get rid of the small household items before that - as many come for the everyday household items.   So after the sale, we would have a clean slate and empty home to repaint and recarpet and get ready to sell.  But it won't have any furniture unless we then bring back the "pod furniture" to stage it.  Seems like alot of trouble. I would love to hear what others have done.  This is a first downsizing for us and I can't justify $75/hr personal organizer, especiallty as this could take a LONG time. I'm a smart business woman but I just cannot figure out where to start. Thanks!
Posted by Debinnova

Please use plain text.
Conversationalist
Smilinglady

We did it with garage sales, which are a lot of work, but less than moving stuff to a storage unit.  We kept one rule:  If it left the house for the garage sale, it never went back in.  If it didn't sell it went to Salvation Army.  We also sold some things via craigslist.  Just don't expect to get what you think an item is worth.  It's highly unlikely.

Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
braswellrh

my wife and I wish to downsize and maybe move back to where we came from, housing is cheaper there. we have our home paid for, just trying to decide if we want to take the big step. I have a two-story and it is just too much, plus I have congestive heart failure and it is getting too much to handle. 
does anyone have any advise??? the housing market is far from top dollar at the moment!
thanks, and have a good day; I am aiting for the snow to arrive, brrr!!!!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
va4339

Like you business problems are not a problem and I thrive on them. It is the personal business that I get a brain freeze on. I watch my Daughter in law teach my son how to let go of his stuff to get other things he wants.
CKeep what you really cherish like family heirlooms. Give some to relatives as inherited before you die, and you watch them enjoy.
Forget estate sale you dont want strangers in your home. Your church has people who have nothing and need your stuff. Also many charities have live auctions. Call operation kindess and give left overs to them. Proceed go to needy animals. You have done a great thing.
Please use plain text.