New Health Care Bill Threatens Protection of Preexisting Conditions. Take Action

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Why do we hold ourselves back - ready for more, not less?

Message 1 of 14 (206 Views)

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 – 1832)

Oh man, I loves me some Goethe! I have the quote below this snippet displayed on my office wall. From @MicheleVS 's Day 7 Elephant on a String blog post:

"... you are enough; you know enough, you have enough skill no matter your age, gender, or anything else…. And if there is something that is holding you back – you are more than capable of learning it, mastering it!  I was scared spitless when I 1st walked into that Adult Ed classroom with all of those fire breathing computers and thorny brier monitors! You too can learn & master whatever you need to slay your dragons, to unravel those pesky strands that make up those strings that hold you back!"

“Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.” - Goethe

You do not have to be a leader to achieve your goals. Unless your goal is to die in your sleep, however, you will have to take action. 

"So oftentimes it happens that we live our lives in chains, That
we never even know we have the key" -Already Gone lyric

Message 2 of 14 (221 Views)

@MicheleVS 

Good morning! Smiley Happy

To answer your question about the reply function (sorry I didn't think to do that in my last post) ... If you click either the 'reply' button on the top of the topic page or the 'reply' button at the bottom of a specfic post in a thread, you will be able to accomplish posting a public message on the thread. The difference being that the 'reply' button at the bottom of a particular post allows you to 'quote' that post, so that readers will be able to understand to which particular comment your words are in reply. 

Once you do opt to quote another poster's comments, you are able to trim those words so that your post includes only what you were responding to.

Everyone who is subscribed to a thread will receive an email notification of a new post, though you will not know who those people are. If you want a particular person to be notified of your post, the safest method is to use the @ (choose a user's screename) function.

To unsubscribe from a topic, click on the "..." located at the top of the topic's main page for a drop down menu of options, select 'unsubscribe'. Posting on a topic will automatically subscribe you to new activity on that thread (unless there is a way to turn that off ... I'm not sure on this point).

There is a private message option as well, though some have that feature turned off.

Hoping this makes sense and wishing you a beautifully blessed day,

Epster

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 14 (236 Views)

Hi Epster...I am new here, so not sure which 'reply' button reaches its destinationSmiley Happy...Might I find posts by you on health/fitness?...I'm so interested in REAl fitness for our generation - not  just 'chair safety exercises'...Blessinsg to you - and thnak you again for your kindnessSmiley Happy...M 

Message 4 of 14 (243 Views)

@MicheleVS Thank you for the kind reply.

I've read perhaps a third of your blog posts and agree we have kindred spirits. Like you, my pervasive goal here has been to help others see bolder, healthier paths --especially those who are unaware of the tethers. I'm so glad you are part of this community and hope you will continue to offer up enriching content.

From your quick account I can see that you've endured far more than your share of trauma. It speaks well of you that you have dedicated yourself to helping others.

Wishing you every joy,

Epster

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 14 (254 Views)

Dear Epster...Thank you - I sincerely appreciate that you shared and like the articles - 8 more to go!

I understand when some folks like and when others dislike posts, that's their purgative...but my truest intent is to be of service...to help people heal faster, be happier sooner...Some aren't even aware of the tethers...

I've been through some bizarre and terrible stuff...even surviving the earthquake in Haiti, divorcing someone who threatened he'd kill me if I left, daughter in a major car accident, son with heart attack at 19, losing my dad and my grandma - all one right after another...Add caring for 1000s of people across my 42 years as an RN, I've seen too much 'unnecessary' suffering - too much anger, too much guilt, blame, unforgiveness's, superiority, judgment, fear, unworthiness, jealousy...and all of those toxic emotions that hold people back - and paradigms that hold people separate and angry...'us vs. them'...The result? Early disease and disability - and early death...& unhappiness.

Not everyone wants to stretch personal boundaries and understanding, but that's OK...I am grateful that you found value in the articles - For those who dare - life can be enriched and expanded at any age...For those who believe they've achieved all and are at the pinnacle of wisdom - that's OK too...But for me - learn till the breath is gone. I'm honored to find a kindred spirit here - Your accomplishments are indeed impressive!! You have so much to share with others...life is bumpy - it's cool to witness the courage and goodness in you!! Thank you for sharing your story in an uplifting and empowering way!...I'll be looking for your health tips/posts!....Blessings...M

Message 6 of 14 (262 Views)

So here's a listing of the OP's current collection of What's Holding You Back (Elephant on a String) blog posts. Some truly fine information is being offered here. http://www.linkedin.com/today/author/0_0y_C09KjSGDkSKGUrTUSsL

Message 7 of 14 (270 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

".... What's holding YOU back?....".

I have wondered that about people for most of my life.

... DW and I went through life making things happen, planning, following through. I totally fail to understand why most people wouldn't want to do that. We're not talking about sailing around the world, solo, here.

How can someone, especially if retired, complaining that they're overweight, don't feel healthy, don't like how they look, won't work out for and hour or two a day to change all that. What else are you doing? Epster posts this kind of thing almost daily, but people just can't get motivated.

I don't get it...................... 

Hi @retiredtraveler I just saw this. Yes, I have a keen interest in living a healthy life, and have since I was a teenager. (Who but an overachieving A-type files the legal paperwork for emancipation, rents a house, gets a job, puts thenselves through high school, spending 4 hours a day on the task of attendance while maintaining honor roll status) But really, the one thing I think that informs my life and has since way back then is this: I refuse to allow others to fence me in, either by their misunderstandings, fears or isms, worldviews, whatever. I cultivated immunity from peer and social pressure in favor of discovering what it was I most wanted to do, be, think, experience in each phase of life. 

One thing I have learned through the decades is that my drive to be more is of a unique calibre. I think yours is too. 

So I counsel myself not to think less of those who are not like me, but to try to put inspiration to live a healthier life in front of them. I also remind myself that I am in no way responsible for their actions: if they choose change I will be supportive. If they choose to remain on an unhealthy path, well, I tell myself that choosing to exit this planet via lifestyle disease is itself a life management style. 

(sigh)

So anyway, I hear you. And how. It is difficult to watch while people repeatedly make counterproductive choices. Much of the time, trying to intervene will bring down the wrath of the person you are trying to aid. I forget that often enough and generally end up with acid burns on my hands for reaching out. Smiley Happy Here's where I try to stand: keep on making the best choices I can for me and my family and let others make the choices they will.

So howzabout us health crazed peeps take turns putting out lifestyle information (like this, thanks @MicheleVS) and also take breaks so we can nourish our own souls?

Topics: 1,037
Kudos: 11,581

Message 8 of 14 (352 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...The three kinds of people (from a long ago manager's seminar) and based on my recollection....".

Oh man. This is the kind of useless (to me) stuff we studied in Sociology and why I dropped out of grad school (in Sociology) to go into IT (with years more of night school).

I'm no leader. I'm no follower. I'm not bright, I didn't go to an ivy league schools. I'm simply motivated, along with DW, to take care of all the business that is needed to be reasonably successful in life. Read, be reasonably educated, plan for the future, take care of your health, try to understand as much around you as you can (basics of finance, basics of home maintenance, basics of wellness, etc.).

None of this explains why millions of people just can't get their butts in gear..........

(ok, now I'm stressing out and negating my posting on stress on the other thread Smiley Frustrated) The failure of people to run their lives has always been a hot-button issue with me.

You may have to translate the language to your particular questions but it does (at least imho) explain everything.  Only 10% of the general pop. are going to think of a plan and execute it, or find a plan they like and execute it.  80% of the people are going to be given or find a plan and follow it or execute it if they are in a situation where everyone is doing it.. work for instance, but not on their own.  The last group has inherent issues that exclude them.   if an 80% member becomes part of a group that is doing something like exercise, they will also do exercise but not necessarily outside of that group.  Think of the ways some big issues are dealt with..   alcoholism,  AA meetings.  Why does that work?  The comfort of the group and the buddy system.  You may not be a leader but you are an executer.  You can make a plan and execute it.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 14 (362 Views)

"...The three kinds of people (from a long ago manager's seminar) and based on my recollection....".

Oh man. This is the kind of useless (to me) stuff we studied in Sociology and why I dropped out of grad school (in Sociology) to go into IT (with years more of night school).

I'm no leader. I'm no follower. I'm not bright, I didn't go to an ivy league schools. I'm simply motivated, along with DW, to take care of all the business that is needed to be reasonably successful in life. Read, be reasonably educated, plan for the future, take care of your health, try to understand as much around you as you can (basics of finance, basics of home maintenance, basics of wellness, etc.).

None of this explains why millions of people just can't get their butts in gear..........

(ok, now I'm stressing out and negating my posting on stress on the other thread Smiley Frustrated) The failure of people to run their lives has always been a hot-button issue with me.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 14 (359 Views)

@nyadrn - Great article! I've always been a natural leader; at work & in volunteer organizations, I think of better ways to accomplish things, and take responsibility to make them happen. I have spent a lot of time & effort fixing systems, only to see my successors let things fall apart again in short order. Now that I've gone thru that frustrating process with several volunteer organizations, I'm shifting to the "Leader-Philosopher" route, where I can "be a herd of 1"! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!