Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Info Seeker

Re: What was your first car

Message 81 of 103 (529 Views)

My first car was a light blue Maverick.  I shared it with my sister.

Info Seeker

Message 82 of 103 (587 Views)

My first car was a white 1967 Ford Cortina Mk.II. It was manual transmission (standard for the UK, kids do not drive Automatics!), two door, had a 1597 cc engine and red vinyl bench seats. It was a piece of crap (the gear shift lever broke off in my hand one day) but it got me about until I rolled it about a year after I bought it.

Social Butterfly

Message 83 of 103 (581 Views)

A 1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass.  Bronze with an ivory leather roof. 2 door, very sporty.

Info Seeker

Message 84 of 103 (577 Views)

1967 Mustang.... loved that car!

Info Seeker

Message 85 of 103 (605 Views)

a 1969 pontiac bonneville brougham it was a 2 door ,bought it from one of my best friends it was his moms car ,she upgraded to a new car

Conversationalist

Message 86 of 103 (723 Views)
Mustang
Info Seeker

Message 87 of 103 (727 Views)

1984 camaro berlinetta

Info Seeker

Message 88 of 103 (716 Views)

I remenber my fisrt car was classic Mercedes 19981 SL320 

http://www.flytologanairport.com/

Info Seeker

Message 89 of 103 (687 Views)

I had a motorcycle in high school to get to and from school and work. After high school, I joined the Navy and was eventually sent overseas. My first car was a 1964 Toyopet,right hand drive stick shift I bought in 1970. Sold it when I departed for the USA.

Bronze Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 90 of 103 (1,866 Views)

It was the summer 1965 and I was about to start my senior year in high school the next school year when my dad decided I should have my first car. I had a job working at the corner gas station, so he was going to buy the car and let me pay him back out of my wages, such as they were. I walked home this one Saturday afternoon and parked in the driveway was this black tank of a car he purchased from some little old lady and I felt a twinge of dissapointment, until he gave me the keys to this creature which was a four door 1948 Chevy. Turns out, it only had 38,000 actual miles on it and it ran like a new car. For those of you who are not familiar with a car of the late 40's, it had enough head room to sit up tall with a ten gallon had on and still not touch the head lining fabric. The paint was flawless and the fabric upholstery was still like new and the best part is, he got it for $100.00. It had so much leg room in the back seats that it came with folding foot stools so the passengers could put their feet up LOL. Of course it was what I'd call and in-line six cyliner engine with a three speed shift on the stearing column, but I had to get used to it as it was a vacume shift and when you changed gears, it felt kind of mushy as you went from one gear to another. I drove that thing until I finished high school and then went into service, but that's a whole nuther story altogether. When I got back home from the service, I traded the old thing for the most fun car I ever had. The Chevrolet dealer had just got in a one owner 1967 Austin Healey Sprite mark IV and for a 21 year old guy in a hick southern town, let me tell you, that thing was a "babe magnet" LOL.

austin-healey-sprite.jpg

I noticed someone saying that back in the day you could get higher octane gas and they were right. We had an Ammaco station that sold 100 octane gas at one of their pumps and that's what I used in the Sprite. Shucks, that's just about the same as aviation fuel LOL.

Thank God I'm a country boy!
Bill a.k.a. Bendybones