The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: What was your first car

Message 101 of 105 (2,688 Views)

PattyDiane wrote:

I recently saw a car that resembled my first car in one of those "Do You Remember" things that have been popping up on Facebook.  Seeing it brought back so many memories.

I was 19 years old and had decided to take a year off from college to work.  I lived in Atlanta and was living with my parents.  I rode the bus to and from work which required a transfer to the other side of town.  I hadn't noticed that the transfer place for the bus was outside of a bar until the days began to get shorter and I was waiting for the bus after dark.

I decided I needed a car of my own and expected an argument with my parents who had not even wanted me to get my driver's licence.  To my surprise, my father agreed and the next day we paid a visit to his brother, who had a used car lot.  We picked out a '55 Olds 88 (this was in 1962) and it was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen and was the same year as our second car, that my mother drove.  Daddy arranged with the bank to co-sign the loan for me and I had my car.

I drove that green and white monster for about two years when my father was ready to buy a new car and was going to sell their '55 Pontiac.  He suggested selling my Olds instead and trading it for his Pontiac since my transmission was slipping.  I became the owner of his car and my future brother-in-law became the owner of my Oldsmobile.  He drove it for another couple of years when he sold it to two young boys who wanted to drive it to California.  He warned them about the transmission but they were willing to take the chance.  He got a call from them when they reached LA with no problem.

Today when I see a similar car in a movie or something, I have to wonder if it's my car and it's still going.

Loved your story!  thanks for sharing

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 102 of 105 (2,124 Views)

I recently saw a car that resembled my first car in one of those "Do You Remember" things that have been popping up on Facebook.  Seeing it brought back so many memories.

I was 19 years old and had decided to take a year off from college to work.  I lived in Atlanta and was living with my parents.  I rode the bus to and from work which required a transfer to the other side of town.  I hadn't noticed that the transfer place for the bus was outside of a bar until the days began to get shorter and I was waiting for the bus after dark.

I decided I needed a car of my own and expected an argument with my parents who had not even wanted me to get my driver's licence.  To my surprise, my father agreed and the next day we paid a visit to his brother, who had a used car lot.  We picked out a '55 Olds 88 (this was in 1962) and it was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen and was the same year as our second car, that my mother drove.  Daddy arranged with the bank to co-sign the loan for me and I had my car.

I drove that green and white monster for about two years when my father was ready to buy a new car and was going to sell their '55 Pontiac.  He suggested selling my Olds instead and trading it for his Pontiac since my transmission was slipping.  I became the owner of his car and my future brother-in-law became the owner of my Oldsmobile.  He drove it for another couple of years when he sold it to two young boys who wanted to drive it to California.  He warned them about the transmission but they were willing to take the chance.  He got a call from them when they reached LA with no problem.

Today when I see a similar car in a movie or something, I have to wonder if it's my car and it's still going.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 103 of 105 (1,722 Views)

ls1873 wrote:

My first car was a green '68 Dodge Coronet I bought for $200 in 1980. It didn't last long because i totaled it in a car crash in 1981. In the time I had it, it ran fairly well, getting me to where I had to go.

A big Chevy Impala..  they made cars big and fast in those days  LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 104 of 105 (1,597 Views)

My first car was a green '68 Dodge Coronet I bought for $200 in 1980. It didn't last long because i totaled it in a car crash in 1981. In the time I had it, it ran fairly well, getting me to where I had to go.

Info Seeker

What was your first car

Message 105 of 105 (1,584 Views)
I'll never forget my first car. My Dad took me an older ladies house. She said the car was in the back yard but we'd have to dig it out ! It was under a cpl feet of snow ! To our surprise it was a 1967 Chevy Impala 327 SS ! We got all the snow off and it was a beauty ! Dark green with black leather bucket seats and interior. Cool center console. All original with very minor wear inside and out. I was freaking out !! I was so happy. My Dad had a deal that he'd buy every child ( 4 of us ) their first car. Man did I score. The best part ? Get it running, she'll sell it to us for $275 !!! Dropped in a battery and it fired rite up ! Back in those days you could buy real high octane gas in several stations in my home town of Detroit. I was the happiest kid around for a cpl yrs till I blew the motor twice......I believe it was 1972 ? I'd give anything to still have that ride.