The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: What was your first car

Message 91 of 105 (999 Views)

I had a motorcycle in high school to get to and from school and work. After high school, I joined the Navy and was eventually sent overseas. My first car was a 1964 Toyopet,right hand drive stick shift I bought in 1970. Sold it when I departed for the USA.

Bronze Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 92 of 105 (2,178 Views)

It was the summer 1965 and I was about to start my senior year in high school the next school year when my dad decided I should have my first car. I had a job working at the corner gas station, so he was going to buy the car and let me pay him back out of my wages, such as they were. I walked home this one Saturday afternoon and parked in the driveway was this black tank of a car he purchased from some little old lady and I felt a twinge of dissapointment, until he gave me the keys to this creature which was a four door 1948 Chevy. Turns out, it only had 38,000 actual miles on it and it ran like a new car. For those of you who are not familiar with a car of the late 40's, it had enough head room to sit up tall with a ten gallon had on and still not touch the head lining fabric. The paint was flawless and the fabric upholstery was still like new and the best part is, he got it for $100.00. It had so much leg room in the back seats that it came with folding foot stools so the passengers could put their feet up LOL. Of course it was what I'd call and in-line six cyliner engine with a three speed shift on the stearing column, but I had to get used to it as it was a vacume shift and when you changed gears, it felt kind of mushy as you went from one gear to another. I drove that thing until I finished high school and then went into service, but that's a whole nuther story altogether. When I got back home from the service, I traded the old thing for the most fun car I ever had. The Chevrolet dealer had just got in a one owner 1967 Austin Healey Sprite mark IV and for a 21 year old guy in a hick southern town, let me tell you, that thing was a "babe magnet" LOL.

austin-healey-sprite.jpg

I noticed someone saying that back in the day you could get higher octane gas and they were right. We had an Ammaco station that sold 100 octane gas at one of their pumps and that's what I used in the Sprite. Shucks, that's just about the same as aviation fuel LOL.

Thank God I'm a country boy!
Bill a.k.a. Bendybones
Conversationalist

Message 93 of 105 (2,285 Views)
did you have a kitchen sink too lol just kidding very cool
Conversationalist

Message 94 of 105 (2,269 Views)
I bet for some they would not know we really did have a crank to roll windows down!! now with all this push button stuff
Conversationalist

Message 95 of 105 (2,276 Views)
lol its amazing all the stuff we go through and can laugh at it ,,, that's the spice of life !!
Info Seeker

Message 96 of 105 (2,532 Views)

My first car was a 1971 sage green Chevy Malibu.  My mom helped me buy it and I thought I was serious hot stuff driving my senior year to high school in that car.  Of course less than two years later I traded it for a Ford Pinto because (I thought) gas so so expensive. 40 years later and that is still one of the stupidest mistakes I've made.  LOL.

Info Seeker

Message 97 of 105 (2,637 Views)

My first car was a 1962 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe with a 327 4 barrel. I paid half the cost of $250 and my father helped out as soon as I got my driver's license in 1966. Have good memories of that 4 barrel engine.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 98 of 105 (2,643 Views)
I had a Toyota Corona. I lived in Houston and that car had no air conditioning. When driving to work, I'd have the windows rolled down, the radio blaring, and I'd sing along.
Info Seeker

Message 99 of 105 (2,657 Views)

1956 Pontiac Super Chief, blue and white. Seats like livingroom furniture, built like a tank. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 100 of 105 (2,706 Views)

PattyDiane wrote:

I recently saw a car that resembled my first car in one of those "Do You Remember" things that have been popping up on Facebook.  Seeing it brought back so many memories.

I was 19 years old and had decided to take a year off from college to work.  I lived in Atlanta and was living with my parents.  I rode the bus to and from work which required a transfer to the other side of town.  I hadn't noticed that the transfer place for the bus was outside of a bar until the days began to get shorter and I was waiting for the bus after dark.

I decided I needed a car of my own and expected an argument with my parents who had not even wanted me to get my driver's licence.  To my surprise, my father agreed and the next day we paid a visit to his brother, who had a used car lot.  We picked out a '55 Olds 88 (this was in 1962) and it was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen and was the same year as our second car, that my mother drove.  Daddy arranged with the bank to co-sign the loan for me and I had my car.

I drove that green and white monster for about two years when my father was ready to buy a new car and was going to sell their '55 Pontiac.  He suggested selling my Olds instead and trading it for his Pontiac since my transmission was slipping.  I became the owner of his car and my future brother-in-law became the owner of my Oldsmobile.  He drove it for another couple of years when he sold it to two young boys who wanted to drive it to California.  He warned them about the transmission but they were willing to take the chance.  He got a call from them when they reached LA with no problem.

Today when I see a similar car in a movie or something, I have to wonder if it's my car and it's still going.

Loved your story! thanks for sharing

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith