Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Silver Conversationalist

Re: What was your first car

Message 1 of 103 (674 Views)

WOW! So many cars in over 55 years of driving and ownership - ha.

My very first "car" was a 1950 Chevy, 5 window pickup truck with 'mudgrips' all around.

What a beast - 292 V8, bright red with black fenders and trim.

My older brother and I changed the 3 speed shifting from the column to the floor.

Get this; imagine the typical shift pattern is an H.

We made the top left leg of the H 1st gear, but by ignorance of the gearing, made 2nd gear the top right leg of the H, with 3rd gear being at the bottom left leg and reverse at the bottom right of the H.

It was somewhat a nusiance of a shifting pattern, a good laugh on us and a good conservtion piece among 'the guys'.

And that's my first car story.

(After that, I drove 2 seater convertibles for the next 40 years).

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 103 (974 Views)

My 1st car was a 1949 Chevy 2 door with a smashed rear quarter panel. (I forget which side was smashed.). It had an inline OHV 6 cylinder, 216 cubic inch- the only engine available for a Chevy passenger car in 1949, I think.  3 speed column shift. It was an oil burner- so much so that I used MP 90 gear oil for engine oil. Sold it for $12 to a junk yard less than a year later.  Next was a '54 Chevy 4 door, 6 cylinder, with Powerglide transmission.  Ran it about a year and the transmission failed.  

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 103 (1,013 Views)

My friend at the time drove a '51 Chevy Belair, 4 dr, and we went every where in it. When he joined the Job Corp, it set in back of my grandma's for several months. I contacted his father to see if it was for sale. It was, at the cost of $10.00 for the car and $1.25 to fix the flat it had. I bought it for $11.25. this was in 1967. It ran the last I knew, but I never got it to run again although I tinkered with it for several months. In the end, I sold it to a guy I knew for $50.00. He then sold it to someone for a $100.00, and that person sold the engine for $100.00 and the body for $100.00. So much for my first venture as a car owner.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 103 (1,107 Views)

In 1972, I bought a '62 Buick Skylark 2 door hardtop for $250.   This was a great car!   Unfortunately, it caught fire on Key Bridge in 1975 and I was able to sell it for $25 for parts. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 103 (1,148 Views)

4 door whiteDodge Dart, red lined seats, and a convertible to boot.  Drove like a dream until my boyfriend lent it to his friend and drove it into a ditch.  He hurt something underneath because it started to whine.  It still drove like a dream car so I gave it to my brother since we bought a new light brown Plymouth.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 103 (1,292 Views)

A used 1971 gray Chevrolet Bel Air with 112,000 miles.  Looked similar to an undercover police car, which may have helped me avoid some tickets.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 103 (1,327 Views)

I had a 1972 red 2 door Plymouth Duster.  I was doing student teaching in college and needed transportation to get to school everyday.  The first morning I drove it to school, a brand new 16 year old driver made a very poor left turn into the left front side and caused a lot of damage!   

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 103 (1,376 Views)

My first car was a 1963 Dodge Dart convertible with pushbutton transmission

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 103 (1,395 Views)

My first car was a 1947 Ford two door sedan flat head V8 with three speed transmission. Had a lotof fun withthiscarbut afriend wantedto buy it when I was a Senior in high school. Sold it and bought a 1953 Pontiac straight 8

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 103 (1,447 Views)

I learned to drive on a IH scout 4X4.  A old four banger with three speed on the flour.  My dad had over drive put in so it would go a little faster on the highway, though I don't remeber him ever going over 55.   The overdrive helped when we had to walk it out out of the sand. Had high and low in the four wheele drive.  My first very own car was a "59" VW bug, mostly blue.  It was go anywhere, out in the desert or down the highway.  It cost me about $75, the year was 1971. You could get to go about 50mph on the highway and if you moved the gas pedal over and down somemore it would creep up to about 55mph.  And even though I am a girl, I still did my own work on that car.  I was in high school and it got me down to my horse.  Lot better then walking.  Those were good years and bad years.  When the gas was 50 cents a gal. we could push it into the gas station, empty the change from our pockets and fill the tank.  Now that I do miss.