Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What sage advice can we share with our children and grandchildren?

Message 1 of 21 (1,127 Views)

Wise words.  Thank you for sharing.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 21 (1,219 Views)

This is not a big answer to the big, important question being addressed.  But it is a bit of sage advice I share with all parents who care to listen whose children are around two years of age,

“The Terrible Two’s” is not a fact, but a fiction created by parents who are not smart enough or lucky enough to realize what a Two Year Old’s ”Developmental Task” is and how to support their children constructively. Actually, I don’t say all of that—but that’s what wants to be expressed at this time!

A Two Year Old’s developmental task is to become a separate person, to establish independence, to develop an “I”-dentity!  The easiest, fastest way for a toddler to express that is to JUST SAY “NO!”

If a parent is “big” on being “obeyed” and “punishing” a child who doesn’t obey, then some real damage can begin in the child’s life, to his or her psyche and self-esteem (feelings of lack of worth or “I’m bad”)—and sometimes alienations, resentments, and hatreds begin to develop.  And horrendous “power struggles” can become a pattern.     

If the parent is lucky or smart or has been teachable, they will support their child’s growth by supporting them, distracting them, giving them alternatives from which to choose, and just be creative and not punitive!  If not, they can create power struggles and start negatives in the child and in their relationship with their child(ren).          

The Two’s are Wonderful, the time when a little human being starts developing his or her separate identity!  Isn’t that great?!  We can appreciate that, celebrate that, and be supportive parents.  I have two wonderful sons (48 and 28 now), never had to spank them, and I “spatted” each only once lightly with my hand. (I’m eighty now, and I can’t remember why I did that and whether or not I later thought it “justified.”)

Added note: My youngest, around age 12, “sassed and spoke disrespectfully” to his mother, my beautiful bride of 75  now, who has always been the best mother and joyed in him from the beginning.  I’d forgotten this, but recently she told me: you grabbed him by the shoulders immediately and held him up against the wall (not violently). You looked him in the eyes, got his attention, and said, “Don’t ever speak disrespectfully to your Mother again.”

She said, “That was one of the best things you ever did with our son. It worked. He never spoke disrespectfully to me again.” I don’t think I even  remember that happening.  But letting children know there are standards of respect and ways we communicate worth and appreciation and regard is a good thing.  And I think parents properly show and communicate respect, dignity, worth, and regard for their children, also.  I invented the phrase, “Children should be seen and not hurt,” twenty years before I began seeing it stated in newspaper articles, magazines, etc.  

My father spanked my brother and me with a belt.  His father, after Dad’s mother died in childbirth, sired 6 half-brothers and 3 half-sisters, and “corralled,” corrected, and controlled them with a horse quirt. Dad hated that and ran away from home at 16 for good. He later thought “it might have been necessary.” I remember around 3rd grade “leaving our yard almost every day for a month” and getting belt “whippings” from Dad when he came home from work.  When I was much younger (3 or 4), my Mother “switched me unmercifully” with small tree limb “switches” on my bare legs for “running away.” Then, they put a picket (sharp, pointed pickets!) fence around our yard.  I never felt a need to do any of that, and I think my boys matured well and beautifully.  I believe Maya Angelou was right: “When we learn better, we do better.”

Rev, J, Roland Cole, 6-25-17

Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 21 (2,517 Views)

Always be loving and kind, as in....

1 Corinthians 13:4 - 8; 13

(NIV) Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. . . And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 21 (2,723 Views)
Right on! My sentiments exactly!
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 21 (2,829 Views)

Live each day to the fullest!  Life is precious, so take care of yourself and each other, and thank God for every day we have been given.  Stay healthy, get moving, and try to eat healthy.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 21 (2,836 Views)

Don't be afraid to try new things, even if you do them poorly. Experience life, learn all you can about the world and its people. Read, read, read. Stay healthy and maintain a balance in all that you do.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 21 (3,018 Views)
Reading also helps keep your brain healthy, and builds your intelligence. I know so many people that never open a book or newspaper after High School, and it really shows.
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 21 (3,019 Views)
The old saying --- Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your down.
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 21 (3,020 Views)

Always do the right thing.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 21 (3,042 Views)

Never text anything to a person that you would not say to their face.  Learn to follow the rules; we may not like them, but we know what the consequences can lead to if we don't follow them.  Learn what ethics are and be ethical in everything.  Show respect to everyone including yourself.  Be humble and kind like the song says.  If you are asked to do something and you have second thoughts about doing it, that is God speaking to you.  If it makes you hesitate, there's a reason, don't do it.