Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Gold Conversationalist

Re: SENIOR DRIVERS

Message 1 of 15 (173 Views)

Good point.  We've been waiting 2 years for a light rail to be finished.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 15 (465 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

A very timely topic, since I just got my car back from the body shop, after an 80-something driver backed into my car, cracking the rear bumper. I saw him, but he said he didn't see me.

The accidents are just the tip of the iceberg. I think that seniors avoid planning ahead for a lifestyle that will accommodate less physical abilities, and while 55+ development is booming, it tends to be in the boondocks where land is cheap, rather than near walkable downtown areas with shopping & professional services. Many of these communities are beautiful & resort-like, but many do not have their own transportation for residents.

Many do have transportation services of various types, daily bus service, property vans or buses, and now that uber is everywhere, there are even more options.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 15 (470 Views)

Good topic.  Many do not want to give up driving because they feel it will diminish the control they have over their lives..   but good news!!!

If you want to go someplace and you no longer having driving privileges, there are other options.  There are buses, and local senior bus service available, there is uber and lyft and taxi service.  There are friends and relatives that might be willing to help you out and that might be a great chance to socialize.  There are caregiving services available that include drivers.

Check out your options!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Reply: SENIOR DRIVERS

Message 4 of 15 (477 Views)

Where I live after the age of 65 you have to go in for a vision test when having your license renewed.  Mine expired just before I was due to have cataract surgery and I knew I was not seeing well at all.  I had a panic attack when I went to have it renewed and came back home.  Thus my license expired.  I continued to drive after the surgery and kept intending to renew my license.  I felt very paranoid driving with an expired license but never seemed to get around to getting a new one, especially knowing I would probably have to re-take the test.

Then it occurred to me how little I was actually driving.  It was a problem just keeping the car running because the battery kept going dead.  About two years ago I realized I live in an area where it's much less expensive to take a taxi to go to the few places I need to go.  I miss having the freedom I once had but I feel good that I was able to "put down the keys" before I had an accident or something.

Regular Social Butterfly

Re: Reply: SENIOR DRIVERS

Message 5 of 15 (506 Views)

Hi Simplegal,

I recently read an article about a Fla retirement community called The Villages..  Is that where you are?  How is the humidity?

Recognized Social Butterfly

Reply: SENIOR DRIVERS

Message 6 of 15 (514 Views)

Hi Wilful,

I am from Southern California and am familiar with the area you mentioned.

Now living in the largest retirement community in Florida - I can tell you the

senior driving situation here is much bigger and therefore more dangerous.

Stay safe!

golf.jpg

wilful wrote:

There is a community not far from where I live, here in SoCal - that is generally regarded as a retirement area, although not so much now, as in years past.  The main drag (Florida Avenue) would be so choked with old folks ramming their cars into each other that it became a rare occurrence to traverse the length of it(a few miles) without seeing an accident.  We would deliberately take side streets and go way out of our way - to not be involved in the chaos.

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 15 (637 Views)

Mobility is a big issue.  I live in an urban area and rely on Uber.  It is cheaper than paid parking, safe and I found most of the drivers to be pleasant and polite.  It is particularly helpful in the evening.  

ASTRAEA wrote:

A very timely topic, since I just got my car back from the body shop, after an 80-something driver backed into my car, cracking the rear bumper. I saw him, but he said he didn't see me.

The accidents are just the tip of the iceberg. I think that seniors avoid planning ahead for a lifestyle that will accommodate less physical abilities, and while 55+ development is booming, it tends to be in the boondocks where land is cheap, rather than near walkable downtown areas with shopping & professional services. Many of these communities are beautiful & resort-like, but many do not have their own transportation for residents.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 8 of 15 (643 Views)

In a litigation happy areas like where I live, you just can't be too careful if you're driving.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 15 (767 Views)

@retiredtraveler - I would be happy for a small house with a tiny patch of front & back yard, but am loath to be in a "development", much less a rental. If things go really well, management handles everything smoothly. If things don't go very well, you've just added a layer of inefficient management in getting things accomplished!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 15 (771 Views)

"....I think that seniors avoid planning ahead for a lifestyle that will accommodate less physical abilities, and while 55+ development is booming, it tends to be in the boondocks where land is cheap, rather than near walkable downtown areas with shopping & professional services....".

Yeah. DW and I have been having that conversation. We've started thinking about places we'd like to live in once we can't handle the chores on our 3 acres. But, being in Chicago area, and having the resources to live where we want, we have lots of choices for apartments along the river and close, if not next to, paved bike trails. These are in suburbs that have stores and services within walking distance. I don't think most of the country has those choices.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”