Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Social Butterfly

Re: New To Being Old

Message 1 of 17 (1,067 Views)

I'm too **bleep** young to be 70.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 17 (1,189 Views)

When something is old, it has no use. As long as you have a purpose and you are glad to wake up in the morning (even though it may take a bit longer to get out of bed!), I don't think you're old. Live a life that has meaning and you may never come to think of youself as "old".

Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 17 (1,200 Views)

I remember the expression, "never trust anyone over 40."  Now that I'm 71, I remember the old Beatles song, "Will you still need me, will you still feed me, now that I'm 64."  If I turn 80, I might consider myself old.  For now, I'm still active, alert and able to get around.  As long as that lasts, I guess I'm okay.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 4 of 17 (1,216 Views)

Being old to me depends on mobility.  I'm in the mid-seventies and being able to move, walk, exercise, etc is what is most important to me.  Mobiliity allows you to live alone, maintain your house, mow your lawn, garden, snowblow your own driveway, etc.   mobility = independence

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 17 (1,424 Views)

I think it has alot to do with the miles one has been. The road traveled has something to do with it too.

But looking back, boy howdy! What a ride!

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 17 (1,772 Views)

Hi Donna,

Welcome!  I'm not so new to being old but just signed up for AARP. Currently in Illinois (my daughter is here) but moving to Colorado (my son is there) at the end of the month.  The discounts are great if you remember to ask for them!

Enjoy the warm!

Nancy

Highlighted
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 17 (1,741 Views)

I agree that if you plan to stay with a cheater don't try to find any information. However, in my case I needed it in my state in order to file for a divorce and come out of the relationship. You can't just say I think courts want proof or you end up spending a lot of time and money to fight it out! Finding out was hard, but I was relieved that I wasn't crazy and it's making my divorce go a lot smoother. He would never confess; therefore, I did the best thing for me...find out, no doubt, move on!!!

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 17 (1,781 Views)

Hi! I'm Michael here in Central Ohio. Congraulations to all for having joined AARP, I have found it to be useful for advise in the various forums and the benefits of being an AARP member are numerous. I use the AARP discount with Walgreens regularly and for the occaional night out at Outback Steakhouse. There are plenty more that I haven't used yet.

As for finding someone to 'touch' on a daily or weekly basis, I have found Facebook has allowed me to be in better communications with people from my past, i.e., high school classmates, family, etc.  For me, I have been able to know my cousins who live in other states (and their children) better than I ever did before.  My high school classmates are of the same age as I (gee, I hope so) and they have been a good resource for sharing experiences about growing old and advise on solutions they have discovered. 

Well, keep checking out AARP (**bleep**, I sound like I'm pushing this organization) dig around and find things that are useful to you.  Money advice, travel and other things are all here for consideration.

Blessings,

Michael

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 17 (1,813 Views)

Hi everyone,

When did we become so old? I still feel 22. Anyway, I'm new to this also. Just joined a few days ago. I am a widow at the young age of 55. My husband died a few years ago when our son was 14. My son is now 18 and heading off to college in the fall which will leave me at home alone with my mixed breed, 150 lb, dog. I have a daughter who is married with 2 children. Being a bubby (grandmother) is wonderful but they recently moved to TN and I am 14 hours away in NY so won't be seeing them too often. I work from home at a regular 7 - 3:30 job (technology is awesome) so don't get out much. I have one good friend who is probably going to be moving away once her son goes off to college, so I'm looking for people to do things with. I live 45 minutes east of Syracuse. I also wouldn't mind a pen pal (if there are still such things.) If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Thanks,

Lorraine

Info Seeker +

Message 10 of 17 (1,872 Views)

I'm with on that :-)   I'm having a bit of a time trying to get used to the message boards also. But, come on in the water is fine...lol Hope your New Year is starting off good 👍😎🍷

Henry Hilson