Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Gold Conversationalist

Re: Looking back over the years, what is the worst advice you ever received?

Message 21 of 24 (1,517 Views)

I got pregnant when I was 18.  The doctor I saw told me that since I was so young & unmarried, I should have an abortion.  I left there and never went back.  My daughter is grown, married & has blessed me with 3 grandbabies.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 24 (1,678 Views)

I try to put bad advice out of my head, but I do remember an occasion just about 2 years ago. I was near the tail end of radiation treatment for breast cancer, and was suffering from burns in a couple of places. I was using the creams the doctor recommended, and he even gave me a break for the skin to recover a few days.

A friend called to see how I was doing; she had no personal or close experience with cancer, but she INSISTED I use zinc oxide, which she used for routine kitchen burns. She continued to argue with me, even when I looked it up online while we were on the phone .. and all medical feedback was that you should never use zinc oxide on radiation burns!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 23 of 24 (1,498 Views)

"Always listen to the experts and follow their advice"...........(primarily refers to money and investment 'experts')

#2 --- don't ever get married........

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Community Manager

Looking back over the years, what is the worst advice you ever received?

Message 24 of 24 (1,154 Views)

Curious to hear what you would say is the worst advice you ever received?

AARPTeri