Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Looking back over the years, what is the worst advice you ever received?

Message 11 of 24 (1,716 Views)

"....The results of a standardized test my senior year in high school recommended that I would not succeed in college and to focus on occupations that would provide a life-long skill....".

My wife had an experience along those lines too, from that testing. She ended up with two degrees, and a CPA.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 24 (1,652 Views)

The results of a standardized test my senior year in high school recommended that I would not succeed in college and to focus on occupations that would provide a life-long skill. Perhaps the results motivated me to prove the testers wrong because I not only graduated from college with honors I was also selected as scholar/athlete twice. A successful career in higher education followed and I tell all young people I meet that success is personal, advice cheap, and to follow your interests, not a bunch of test results that don't take into account anything but filled-in circles. BTW, I also developed skills around the house and car that help keep needed service to a minimum. So consider the source when receiving advice. It's not always golden.

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 24 (1,621 Views)

The worst advice ever got was when the "experts" said not to buy KMart when the stock dropped to 16 cents.  For some reason, I had a strong hunch to buy at least 10 thousand shares, but I trusted the "experts."  I wonder where the experts were when Sears Holding took over KMart and the shares peaked at $60?  Not a peep out of them, and no "mea culpa" for sure.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 24 (2,099 Views)

I was told by 13 male gynecologists to go home and get pregnant.

My reason for the office visit? I wanted to have my uterus removed so that I would never have kids. I was 23, but had been emancipated at 15 so my 23 was really like a 'normal' 35 or something. I'd been married for 3 years and had known since before I graduated high school that I had no desire to parent. I did manage to find a female doctor who would perform the surgery; DH and I never regretted the decision.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 15 of 24 (2,094 Views)

Far from the wrost advice, but possibly the funniest came from the supervising file clerk at my first job. She repeatedly told me:  "You'll never get anywhere in life without a rubber finger."

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 24 (1,969 Views)

@pp70729991 - Now they recommend Calendula cream.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 24 (1,772 Views)

Yes!  Even my radiation oncologist mocked me for applying Vitamin D ointment and(truthfully, it was so long ago I forget)...maybe Vit E cream.  None of the other women used anything following the treatments and guess who was the only one who didn't get burnt at all.  Righto!  Me.  Good for you for checking out your own beliefs.  Advice is cheap and easy and should be taken with a boulder of salt.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 18 of 24 (1,647 Views)

You can not be a RN nurse;

Gold Conversationalist

Message 19 of 24 (1,593 Views)

I sure as hell should have listened to my dad when he told me not to get married.

Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 24 (1,577 Views)

I don't know that I would say it was bad advice, just not the best advice.  Alcohol won't hurt you.

Here, have a cigarette. Why save your money, you might die tomorrow. Get married and let someone to take care of you.  Bad advice, maybe, certainly not advice for a calm, peaceful, self-fulfilling life.

Glad I didn't listen.