How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: Looking back over the years, what is the worst advice you ever received?

Message 1 of 24 (859 Views)

It was about the 1990. Get out of the stock market. You will never see it go over 10,000 in your life time. 

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 24 (964 Views)

As a young, single mother I was advised not to waste my time going to college, I should just go get a job at Chevy. ( in 1974)  I didn't take that advice, thank God. 

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 24 (1,272 Views)

That sounds like the advice that might have been given to one or more of Epster's 14 gynecologists (see earlier post).

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 24 (1,274 Views)

Kudos on proving the "standardized [which, by definition, means not Individuated] tests" wrong! When recommending that folks consider the source when receiving advice, I assume that you're also implying that one should consider said source's motivation for giving it. Having been born with the skeptical gene, I've always asked (albeit usually not out loud) "What's in it for you, bro?"

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 24 (1,286 Views)

Although I didn't have the sense (or the wherewithal) to begin investing as early as you did, I too have never used a broker; my reasons are that not only are they paid on commission, but a client can know for sure whether her/his broker is on the other side of the trade. (Yeah, I know that the "fiduciary standard" should address the latter concern, but the demise of that rule looks to be the odds-on bet these days.)

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 24 (1,476 Views)

It's OK to drop out of college and get married at 21.  You can go back to school later.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 24 (1,726 Views)

Use my tax person.  Drive down the alley and go into the garage. That's where her office is located.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 24 (1,923 Views)

Just about everyone in my family told me not to get married when I did; most of her family gave her the same advice.  Sharon and I had known each other for less than a year; she was 19 and I was a little under 20 when we ignored them all.  We're now a few months shy of our 44th wedding anniversary :-) I wouldn't recommend what we did to anyone else, but it definitely worked out well for us.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 24 (2,062 Views)

Strange. I had the same thing told to me by my parents AND my high school counselor!  Guess what!  I did and was very good at it!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 24 (2,334 Views)

"....The worst advice ever got was when the "experts" said not to buy KMart when the stock dropped to 16 cents.  For some reason, I had a strong hunch to buy at least 10 thousand shares, but I trusted the "experts." ..".

As someone who got into investing in my 20's, I have advised against using advisors for decades now. I became a contrarian investor early on and have read so many articles showing how financial people, especially those giving investment advice, are so wrong so much of the time.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”