AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: If you could bring back one trend from the 60s and 70s,, what would it be?

Message 81 of 95 (1,192 Views)

Personal responsibilty.This govenment worship(AKA looking to govt to solve all problems) is bankrupting America,ruining Initiative and causing continued decline in standard of living.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 82 of 95 (1,425 Views)

@PattyDiane   Thank you for clarification!  Well said & your words make a great deal of sense.  So glad you explained further.  Smiley Happy

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 83 of 95 (1,418 Views)

gatorgorilla wrote:

PattyDiane wrote:

I have fond memories of the 60's - 70's.  I was in college, first real job, newly married, all those things we do in our 20's.  I loved the clothes of the era, especially the bell-bottom hip-hugger pants and mini-skirts.  But what I would really like to bring back was the attitude of love, acceptance and tolerance that I felt.  I know it wasn't all peace and love even as we wore peace symbols and love beads while painting flowers on our cars, but there was an optimism that I hope the young people are feeling now as we felt it then.

@PattyDiane   More power to you, if you believe today's young people are feeling optimistic, and have good reason to feel so.

Change is definitely in the air, and we need some changes.  But with the president & administration we are soon to face (endure), I don't see much to feel optimistic about.  

Perhaps I need to clarify something.  I didn't say young people are feeling optimistic.  I said I hope they are feeling as optimistic as I was.  And no, I'm not feeling very optimistic myself these days.  Perhaps that's why I remember with such fondness my feelings of the "old days".

I voted the first time for JFK and was at UGA when the first black students enrolled.  I met LBJ and I attended black night clubs and NAACP rallies near my college.  I grew up in Atlanta and went to college just a few blocks for Emanuel Baptist Church where Martin Luther King, Jr. preached.  We had peace marches and sit-ins that did not turn into riots.  It seemed that change was in the air and they were changes that I had felt were needed since I was very young.  I was optimistic and it was an exciting time to live.

I hope the young people of today can feel a bit of that because I believe the changes that are needed are going to have to come from those young people, with perhaps a bit of help from some of us old ones who remember and still believe.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 84 of 95 (1,438 Views)

PattyDiane wrote:

I have fond memories of the 60's - 70's.  I was in college, first real job, newly married, all those things we do in our 20's.  I loved the clothes of the era, especially the bell-bottom hip-hugger pants and mini-skirts.  But what I would really like to bring back was the attitude of love, acceptance and tolerance that I felt.  I know it wasn't all peace and love even as we wore peace symbols and love beads while painting flowers on our cars, but there was an optimism that I hope the young people are feeling now as we felt it then.

@PattyDiane   More power to you, if you believe today's young people are feeling optimistic, and have good reason to feel so.

Change is definitely in the air, and we need some changes.  But with the president & administration we are soon to face (endure), I don't see much to feel optimistic about.  

Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 85 of 95 (1,275 Views)

gatorgorilla wrote
@retiredtraveler  & @PattyDiane  Have no idea if we're negative for the same reasons, retiredtraveler, but I too am negative about how we boomers turned out.  I don't talk about it much with others, so was interested to see you mention your negativity.

I found the "love/peace" vibe to be tenuous as I went through the late 1960s & early 1970s.  That type vibe might have supposedly been "in the air" (along with in the media, in the arts, etc)  but I encountered a good deal of pettiness & unpleasantness in daily/normal encounters among people in general.  It was not all love & peace among folks - hippies & other boomers were less than kind in numerous ways.

You mentioned the harsh realities of some major events/movements;  I  tend to remember the smaller day-to-day realities.

I struggled to get along & understand others, as it became apparent that love, peace, tolerance, acceptance, etc, were not going to be the norm after all.  Some people talked a good game but it was amazing how they actually behaved - exhibiting insensitive, selfish & judgmental tendencies.  I guess it was just life & human nature, going on as usual?

Makes me appreciate kindness & tolerance when I encounter it - in both myself & others.  Smiley Happy

Perhaps, as a youngun (I graduated HS in '77) I should refrain from comment. But I'm a left-handed, hazel eyed, A-type with filtering issues (each of these traits, studies show, contribute to, ummm, shall we call it my winning personality? OK. Thanks), so here I go ... Smiley Happy

A boyish white high school girl living alone on an Indian Reservation located in a mountainous wilderness where, quite frankly, there was no law, I found both deep acceptance and dangerous resentment. Sometimes from the same person on the same day. The woods were filled with large and small scale pot operations. People were killed for hiking on the wrong trail. There were vans broken down in meadows and housing social dropouts who espoused peace and love, but who stole whatever they could. There were hoodlums espousing nothing of the kind, but who taught this parentless child to hunt and fish. There were missionaries trying to scratch a line in the shifting sands, and who at once protected me through prayer and teachings and exposed me as an outsider when I attended church services.

That to illustrate this: people are people wherever you go. We are all good and bad. We each have the choice to be happy or sad, to help or to hinder, to diffuse or ignite. All of us. Age doesn't matter. Race doesn't matter. Sexual identity doesn't matter. Education or lack thereof does not matter. In our core we are all the same. We all need acceptance. We all need peace and love. And each one of us can give that, no matter where or when you were born. 

I understand the disappointment with one's peers. Yet we still can be different than we've been. One choice of acceptance and positivity at a time. 

throw kindness.jpg

I've overstayed my time on this soapbox. Sorry.

"Next!"

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 86 of 95 (1,072 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

".....But what I would really like to bring back was the attitude of love, acceptance and tolerance that I felt.  I know it wasn't all peace and love....".

On one hand, that was the general 'vibe'. We had all the 'head shops', t-shirt/incense stores.

But I was in Chicago, in college, in late 60's and spend a great deal of time with anti-war marches, pro Black Power demonstrations, pro Women's Rights demonstrations, sit-in at the college. And I was out at 1968 Grant Park Dem convention, long hair and all, with another guy who had hair half down to his waist, until I saw every cop in the city converge on the park. Missed all the 'fun' afterwards until I saw it on the tube.

And look how we boomers turned out (I'm very negative on that).

@retiredtraveler  & @PattyDiane  Have no idea if we're negative for the same reasons, retiredtraveler, but I too am negative about how we boomers turned out.  I don't talk about it much with others, so was interested to see you mention your negativity.

I found the "love/peace" vibe to be tenuous as I went through the late 1960s & early 1970s.  That type vibe might have supposedly been "in the air" (along with in the media, in the arts, etc)  but I encountered a good deal of pettiness & unpleasantness in daily/normal encounters among people in general.  It was not all love & peace among folks - hippies & other boomers were less than kind in numerous ways.

You mentioned the harsh realities of some major events/movements;  I  tend to remember the smaller day-to-day realities.

I struggled to get along & understand others, as it became apparent that love, peace, tolerance, acceptance, etc, were not going to be the norm after all.  Some people talked a good game but it was amazing how they actually behaved - exhibiting insensitive, selfish & judgmental tendencies.  I guess it was just life & human nature, going on as usual?

Makes me appreciate kindness & tolerance when I encounter it - in both myself & others.  Smiley Happy  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 87 of 95 (1,058 Views)

".....But what I would really like to bring back was the attitude of love, acceptance and tolerance that I felt.  I know it wasn't all peace and love....".

On one hand, that was the general 'vibe'. We had all the 'head shops', t-shirt/incense stores.

But I was in Chicago, in college, in late 60's and spend a great deal of time with anti-war marches, pro Black Power demonstrations, pro Women's Rights demonstrations, sit-in at the college. And I was out at 1968 Grant Park Dem convention, long hair and all, with another guy who had hair half down to his waist, until I saw every cop in the city converge on the park. Missed all the 'fun' afterwards until I saw it on the tube.

And look how we boomers turned out (I'm very negative on that).

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 88 of 95 (843 Views)

Message 89 of 95 (794 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

Image result for picture of mini skirt 60's

Dirty old man animated emoticon

@retiredtraveler

These are all the rage with trail runners and cyclists. Will that do?

SkirtSports' Tough Girl SkirtSkirtSports' Tough Girl Skirt

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

[ Edited ]
Message 90 of 95 (788 Views)