AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: If you could bring back one trend from the 60s and 70s,, what would it be?

[ Edited ]
Message 71 of 95 (753 Views)

Ditto on the music - a lot of it is timeless. I still play my Beatles collection and others quite often. Cars were fun, too, like the Mustang, Corvette, GTO. And the music and songs about cars were often tied together. But I'll pass on the flower-painted vans!

Topics: 1,076
Kudos: 11,839

Message 72 of 95 (731 Views)

MaVolta wrote:

ASTRAEA wrote:

Since I was still in JHS & HS back in the 1960s, I thought I'd look up the cultural trends to remind myself:

Lava Lamps
Tye-Dye
The Twist
Peace Symbol
Surfing
Fallout Shelters
Go-Go Boots
Mini Dresses
Skateboards
Black Lights
Hippie Beads
Bell Bottoms
Chinese Fire Drill
Smiley Faces
Afros
Granny Glasses

To be honest, I don't think I'd want to bring any of them back .. except the Granny Glasses. These days I wear frameless glasses .. similar to the ones my own granny wore!

@ASTRAEA - That's a great list. I wore all of those - mini's, go-go boots, bell bottoms (with loud colors!). No, they belong in the past. Smiley Faces still work! Smiley Wink

You can still find most of these in "The Haight"  or you could some years back.  Worth a visit to yesterday but not to stay.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 73 of 95 (577 Views)

p693513j wrote:

The cars from the sixties and seventies and the respect people used to have for one another

Yes to the cars!!

Message 74 of 95 (550 Views)

I don't think even the Hippies would want to bring much back from the 60's and 70's  .. except the music!!!!    

Actually listen to alot of it and you will see that things were not all peace and love by any means.   

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 75 of 95 (702 Views)

@MaVolta - That's so true about "romanticizing" the 1960s/1970s, from today's vantage point! I went to college in Manhattan, 1969 - 1973, and it was near the East Village. Then I worked for a while at my company's HQ, also downtown Manhattan. Sometimes you could smell the pot & hash burning, walking along the street .. especially if you walked past the Filmore East! And you'd see hippies out in the street, maybe where they'd slept .. dirty & without shoes, and they'll hit you up for money.

I got to see 2 apartments in the neighborhood, that fellow students rented .. 6-floor walk-ups. One had the bathtub in the kitchen, with a board over it to make a table. The other had roaches on the kitchen countertop. That's the area hippies could afford .. ugh.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 76 of 95 (904 Views)

The cars from the sixties and seventies and the respect people used to have for one another

Conversationalist

Message 77 of 95 (901 Views)

I wish I could still wear (without embarrassment or pain) mini-skirts, go-go boots, & bell bottoms. No granny glasses, I wear progressives, which need room to correct all kinds of vision problems. Smiley faces and peace symbols are always great. In fact, my daughter's profile photo is an original yellow smiley face, and she's only 37.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 78 of 95 (1,121 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

Since I was still in JHS & HS back in the 1960s, I thought I'd look up the cultural trends to remind myself:

Lava Lamps
Tye-Dye
The Twist
Peace Symbol
Surfing
Fallout Shelters
Go-Go Boots
Mini Dresses
Skateboards
Black Lights
Hippie Beads
Bell Bottoms
Chinese Fire Drill
Smiley Faces
Afros
Granny Glasses

To be honest, I don't think I'd want to bring any of them back .. except the Granny Glasses. These days I wear frameless glasses .. similar to the ones my own granny wore!

@ASTRAEA - That's a great list. I wore all of those - mini's, go-go boots, bell bottoms (with loud colors!). No, they belong in the past. Smiley Faces still work! Smiley Wink

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 79 of 95 (1,134 Views)

The whole "peace and love" thing was strongly tied to the drug culture. It had a violent side, too. So maybe there is good reason for the negative views. I believe a lot of people tend to "romanticize" that culture these days, and it wasn't what it seemed.

Info Seeker

Message 80 of 95 (1,179 Views)

Respect  for each other!