ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: How do you think JFK changed the world?

Message 1 of 6

I was a Junior in high school when he was killed. Up until that point, I was full of energy and pride for my country. We were going to put a man on the moon. We were led by a youthful president and his beautiful wife, there was culture and class in the White House. Nothing seemed impossible. More than our president died in Dallas. Our innocence died right along with him. Followed by Vietnam. And Nixon. And Chicago. And Bobby. And Martin. Everything changed for me with JFK's death. Everything.

Report Inappropriate Content
Silver Conversationalist

Message 2 of 6

If nothing else . . . he brought youth to politics.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 6

It’s hard to believe that in 1961 when Kennedy was elected President, Blacks across much of the Sothern states were denied the right to vote, denied the right to use public facilities and denied the right to equal justice in the courts.

Even though JFK had already been assassinated when the Civil Rights act was passed in 1964, most of that bill was Kennedy’s legislation.

Recognizing that segregation was immoral and illegal and then vowing to end segregation was JFK’s greatest contribution to Humanity.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6

His botched Bay of Pigs fiasco changed our relations in that part of the world through today. An example of one of the worst foreign policy errors ever made, and used in textbooks.

His womanizing has provided much tabloid fodder. The world learned how much a prez can get away with.

His failure to get agreement on Berlin caused the wall to be built, thus becoming the largest 'incarceration' in history.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6

Clearly, his goal of putting a man on the moon before the end of the decade, brought us into a world of new technologies that continue to evolve to present day. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

How do you think JFK changed the world?

Message 6 of 6

JFK would have been celebrating his centennial year, tell us how you think he changed the world.

AARPTeri