How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: How do you live your best life?

Message 1 of 71 (9 Views)

Hown do you get rid of the anger?  I have had this for over a year and have not found an answer that works for me.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 71 (1,133 Views)

Thanks for your comment, Patty Diane!  You caught the right flavor... undeniable fun!  Yet for me the most satisfying part of all, the biggest surprise, is how much the sharing impacts my life.  We have come to a stage of life where we seniors might indeed have something to return to our communities.  I'm sure that can be done myriad ways... so many of us volunteer.  I had never thought of myself as a teacher, but I learned along the way to drop fear and just DO IT.  I'm not a great banjo player, but certainly can get someone started. 

Our band Thistle Dew has a brand new website:  www.thistle-dew.com.  I'm lucky to be singing with women who are 10 and 20 years my junior.  All of it helps keep ME young!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 71 (1,140 Views)

eh93979695 wrote:

Retiring at 62 to help take care of my MIL was a daunting decision.  After she passed I found I had time to look for a little part-time job.  That job, as a "cultural interpreter" at a local state park, totally altered my life.  I'd always been a student of arts and crafts and an acoustic musician (I was demonstrating handspinning and sharing ttunes at the park) and this lovely job introduced me to SO many interesting people, including a friend who became a musical partner.  First, we started up a little Dulcimer Circle, teaching this simple mountain instrument to hundreds of people, then we got the go-ahead to hold a monthly Community Coffeehouse at the park... have just this past January met for our 5th year anniversary.  Now we are teaching mountain music classes at the local junior college and just started a free mountain music program at a nearby elementary school.  I'm now involved with three bands, learned to play clawhammer banjo at age 67 (and teach it!) and have recorded 5 fine CD's with my women friends!  Our current band, Thistle Dew is growing in notoriety locally and I am having the time of my life!  So my advice... jump in with both feet, grow and share!

Your post sounded like you were having so much fun that I checked out your group and found you on You Tube.  It looked and sounded like you were having a great time!  It just shows that we never know where something will lead when we follow our passion.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 71 (1,151 Views)
To be healthy, my family & traveling!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 71 (1,157 Views)
"How do you live your best life?"

By being aware.
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 71 (1,164 Views)

Retiring at 62 to help take care of my MIL was a daunting decision.  After she passed I found I had time to look for a little part-time job.  That job, as a "cultural interpreter" at a local state park, totally altered my life.  I'd always been a student of arts and crafts and an acoustic musician (I was demonstrating handspinning and sharing ttunes at the park) and this lovely job introduced me to SO many interesting people, including a friend who became a musical partner.  First, we started up a little Dulcimer Circle, teaching this simple mountain instrument to hundreds of people, then we got the go-ahead to hold a monthly Community Coffeehouse at the park... have just this past January met for our 5th year anniversary.  Now we are teaching mountain music classes at the local junior college and just started a free mountain music program at a nearby elementary school.  I'm now involved with three bands, learned to play clawhammer banjo at age 67 (and teach it!) and have recorded 5 fine CD's with my women friends!  Our current band, Thistle Dew is growing in notoriety locally and I am having the time of my life!  So my advice... jump in with both feet, grow and share!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 71 (1,166 Views)
Helping my children and grandchildren and new husband. Finding a better chapter of aarp than Deerbrook area 3912 humble since new president took office in jan 2015 !
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 71 (1,187 Views)
Working hard for 45 years then retiring
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 71 (1,188 Views)

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 71 (1,189 Views)
Spending active time with family