AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Info Seeker

Re: Have you attended or considered adult summer camp?

Message 1 of 33

If there is an adult camp like Gayle Delaney remembers, count me in. A close experience I've had was a one week vegan cruise - Holistic Holiday at Sea.

Report Inappropriate Content
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 33

@nyadrn, LOL That cracked me up! Cat LOL N.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 33

There are a couple of people that I would like to send to a summer camp. Does that count? LOL. 😉

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 33
yes I'd go
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 33

Would consider a 5-7 day Women's Camp adventure that would get me far North of the extreme Summer heat & humidity of Florida. College dorm style sleeping arrangements, lake swimming, moderate hiking, canoeing, arts/crafts with singing & s'mores around the campfire at night. 

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 33

Where is your "area"? City/State. You didn't say

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 33
John C Campbell Folk School in Brasstown NC. Www.folkschool.org
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 33

John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC is an arts and crafts experience that is sometimes styled as being like "summer camp for adults." That said, it is a great place to learn  (or improve in) a new art, craft or traditional skill. The accommodations vary from something like a comfortable but not-fancy semi-private dorm-style room to a very nice private bed-and-breakfast style room, all in the beautiful Blue Ridge of the Great Smoky Mountains of western North Carolina. And, if you stay on campus, the board (meals which are absolutely delicious and served family-style) is included. My husband and I each took a couple of courses a couple of years ago and loved it so much that we have now moved to Brasstown, NC in order to be closer to the folk school. See their website and catalog for more information @ www.folkschool.org .

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 33

AARPTeri wrote:

There is a rise in adults going to summer camps, have you ever gone?  Would you consider going?

Yes- Augusta Heritage Center in West Virginia was about folk music-singing and playing/learning. It was wonderful fun. That was a few years ago, and I'm not sure it's still in operation. The RV "resort" where I live inTucson is truly a "winter camp" for 55+. Every kind of craft, music, and sport is enjoyed from November until April.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 33

I teach at SummerSongs (SummerSongs.com), a songwriting and music performance camp for adults. Started as a camper when I was 42; ages range mostly from 83 down to 30. It's an exciting, joyful, supportive, encouraging community and family, and the best place to explore your creativity and music! We have retired pilots, therapists, lawyers, artists, administrators, executives, teachers...and fans! The instructors are touring singer-songwriters whom we all adore! In NY, we gather at Stony Point Center. Check it out :-) And tell 'em Glen sent you. Or contact me if you have questions, I'm happy to welcome you.