The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Generation Gap - what do you think? Is it real?

Message 11 of 17 (667 Views)

@MaVolta - That's the same line my Mom used with me! I remember when Barbie dolls were so popular, and of course I wanted one. She got me something similar , but made of a different material; I'm sure it was much less expensive. When I said with disappointment it wasn't a real Barbie, she asked if I wanted her to return it to the store! Mind you that was RETURN, not EXCHANGE!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 17 (661 Views)

"....With the younger generations, socializing and communication is practically a lost art...".

In my opinion, the heart of the issue is that they think they really are 'communicating'. Tweets, Facebook, Snapchat is somehow, really connecting. The concept that one cannot truly express thought in every day language is not understood. So, we have all these poorly-developed thoughts expressed through social media, and there is very little true 'understanding'.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 17 (662 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

The biggest difference I see (and maybe it's just with me, not my entire generation), is that these 40-somethings are more indulgent with their children, buying them whatever they want. And the idea of their children being raised with different/non-material values, and not caving to peer pressure, seems absolutely impossible to them. My Mom told me she didn't want me to grow up being a lemming, having/doing everything my peers had/did!

@ASTRAEA - Excellent point! My dad was always talking to me about peer pressure. His favorite expression - if Susie decides to jump off the cliff, are you going to follow her? Think for yourself, don't let your friends think for you.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 17 (663 Views)

Yes, and agree with @retiredtraveler - it's a great divide!

In my grandparents' day, neighbors were extremely important, and they knew each other well, visited often, and always helped each other. Socializing was sitting around on the porch or out in the yard vistiting with each other after a hard day's work.

In my parent's day, much the same. Everyone knew their neighbor, but socializing was more intermittent. They still knew each other and visited across the fence, and always there to help in time of need.

In our generation, socializing with neighbors was practically lost. We hardly know each other. Most of the socializing was over soccer practice or little league games, etc. when children were young. As everyone worked, there was not much time for getting to know the neighbors.

With the younger generations, socializing and communication is practically a lost art. With technology, all communication has changed. In fact, technology has changed everything so quickly, that what's here today or was from yesterday, is obsolete now or tomorrow.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 17 (658 Views)

I'm not sure how much of the gap is generational, and how much based on individual family experiences. My cousins' children & my younger 2nd cousins (late 30s to early 50s .. so about a generation after me) all seem to value things similar to boomers. They have good, responsible jobs, their own homes, and motivate their children to do well academically & have athletic/cultural interests.

The biggest difference I see (and maybe it's just with me, not my entire generation), is that these 40-somethings are more indulgent with their children, buying them whatever they want. And the idea of their children being raised with different/non-material values, and not caving to peer pressure, seems absolutely impossible to them. My Mom told me she didn't want me to grow up being a lemming, having/doing everything my peers had/did!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 17 (653 Views)

It's not a gap --- it's a canyon! We've had an ongoing discussion, for years, with some friends, that centered primarily around 'common knowledge'. Boomers share so much as far as people, places, things.... Expressions, songs, TV shows, what we learned in school, perspective is shared. Following generations have no idea what we're talking about most of the time (in my experience, anyway).

Uncle ---- what is a typewriter? What is a record player? Vietnam war?  Muscle car?   

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Community Manager

Generation Gap - what do you think? Is it real?

Message 17 of 17 (588 Views)

Fascinating to think does this exist?  I was at a family event and was fascinated to see the gaps between my mother, in her 80s - who by the way is sharp as a tack;  my siblings and our children.  We were having fascinating discussions and I thought yes there was clear definition of generations happening that day.

AARPTeri