How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Re: Generation Gap - what do you think? Is it real?

Message 1 of 17 (217 Views)

Bravo! With all the 'gaps' happening & widening in our world right now - we need wisdom to find it's way to the top of our discussions and paradigms...Lovely post - thank you! 

Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 17 (229 Views)

I believe there will always be a generation gap because people tend to become less open-minded, more conservative, and more resistant to change as they get older.  Not everyone gets this way, just the ones who favor being curmudgeonly rather than young at heart.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 17 (235 Views)

There is quite a difference between social media people and "long-winded" people.  I'm of the long-winded variety myself.  But even so, I and my friends didn't write letters all that often.  We picked up the phone and called.  And my daughters, who are 29, finally got me into social media and I'm enjoying it very much.  As ReTiReD51  said above, I'm using my 65 years on this planet to try to go a bit farther than 50% of the way.  I'm finding that for me social media forces the issue of getting to the heart of the matter rather than winding around it, which is my habit and drives my daughters nuts.  I like it.  Makes me think and they're smart enough to realize I'm trying.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 17 (237 Views)

Agreed! You are there friend! 

Topics: 38
Kudos: 1,291

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 17 (248 Views)

I just came across this topic and found it fascinating to read the individual responses.  @AARPTeri, it is obvious that the generation gap" is a very real  phenomenon and can present a ticklish challenge to our communication skills.

I clearly identified with and enjoyed the thoughtful responses. 

@retired traveler and @Ma Volta nailed it right off the bat if my experience is any indication.  I'm a classic Baby Boomer, eldest of six children and the only girl.  I was fairly observant as a kid and noted all of the characteristics mentioned in their responses.  I've seen the changes firsthand in my own children and their children as well.  It makes me wonder if the same issues existed in the 18th & 19th centuries.  No doubt there were similarities!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 17 (276 Views)

I believe more times than not that there is a generation gap with our ideas and opinions. But it’s important for me to find the bridge and learn how to cross it so I can at least meet those different ideas and opinions half way across the gap. Don’t forget along with this gray hair I’m supposed to have all this wisdom of knowing how to accomplish this. It’s tough but it can be done. I’ve just got to remember to work at it a little more.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 17 (360 Views)

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 17 (661 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"....With the younger generations, socializing and communication is practically a lost art...".

In my opinion, the heart of the issue is that they think they really are 'communicating'. Tweets, Facebook, Snapchat is somehow, really connecting. The concept that one cannot truly express thought in every day language is not understood. So, we have all these poorly-developed thoughts expressed through social media, and there is very little true 'understanding'.

We find this to be true of our older sibings as well. DH and I are both the 'babies of the family' and we were raised as onlies (different circumstances, but still we each were only children throughout our high school years).

We find there is a gap in experience with our own siblings because of this. The family dynamics were completely different. In many respects it is as if we were raised in different families than were our siblings. While DH and I share worldviews and such, we differ greatly from our families politically and in terms of behavior and personality. Over the years we've had to work hard to cross the communication divide.

That said, since we elected to delete our social media accounts some years back, our older siblings (and their children) have great difficulty keeping in touch. They can't handle an email with 5 paragraphs: it's too much reading. Smiley Happy They want to Facetime or text. 

One niece has begun to exchange surface letters. That's a fun and refreshing change. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Good health neither comes cheap, nor is it easy.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 17 (707 Views)

@MicheleVS - I've never heard some of the subcategories/split categories listed in that article:

Post-War Cohort - Born 1928 - 1945

Boomers I (The Baby Boomers) - Born 1946 - 1954

Boomers II (Generation Jones) - Born 1955 - 1965 (never heard of "Generation Jones")

I've heard of Gen Y referred to as Millenials, but never as "Echo Boomers"

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Conversationalist

Message 10 of 17 (709 Views)

'gap' is an interesting word - 'differences' seems more appropriate - as we all should be - I would have failed miserably as a 'Donna Reed', but it suited my mom; I've learned and adequately use technology, but no-way I have the 'institutional knowledge' of my son...embracing and enjoying differences adds richness - Drawing lines in the sand - or gaps between that we can fall in to -- well...what's the point? I enjoyed reading this version of generational differences: http://socialmarketing.org/archives/generations-xy-z-and-the-others/