AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Garage & Estate Sales - Are You a Fan?

Message 1 of 11 (197 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - After that one experience (and another garage sale at my Mom's years earlier), I'd much rather give things away too! But organizations don't want to take all the things you have .. like paperback books, and little knickknacks. I've really enjoyed going to garage sales & buying books & knickknacks .. so I think it's nice to pass them on for a quarter or $.50!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,582

Message 2 of 11 (204 Views)

@retiredtraveler and @ASTRAEA, you make a very good point.  I've never had a garage sale or yard sale in my life for all of the same reasons you just explained.  I'd much rather donate it and take the deduction.

That said, I have an instruction in my will for the children to take, if they wish and in an equitable fashion, anything remaining after certain bequests of property are distributed.  If they want nothing, that's fine.  Whatever remains shall be sold at auction, not locally, but in another locality in my state.  However the executor(s) wish to handle it, they may, but the main point of it is that they will not have to deal with the headaches of an estate sale.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 3 of 11 (213 Views)

@retiredtraveler - Since I lived in a better neighborhood, my Mom & Aunt thought I'd make more selling all of their stuff from my house, so Mom brought all 2,000 of her paperbacks to a storage area of my house, and my aunt had 1/3 of the things in her old house delivered to my basement .. when she moved to my Mom's! So I didn't have much choice in having a sale! That said, I'd been to enough of them to know that I didn't want anyone upstairs, nor did I want to deal the changeable weather, so everything was in a very large finished basement. I had the key to the door from the basement into the house on a chain that I wore, and 2 friends helped me keep an eye on things, because there were 3 rooms with stuff.

My one friend caught people trying to switch or take off price tags, and one seemingly average looking couple low-balled an offer on something .. then implied that it was illegal for me to sell it! I think I barely cleared the cost of the newspaper ad!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 11 (220 Views)

"....4a.) A person can make good $ harvesting and selling architectural details/parts; hope you guys are! (And good on ya!)...".

Never. I simply helped relatives who wanted the parts for their houses.

In a different response to this topic: I'm a fan of going to a sale, but we will never again actually sell anything. One of the worst experiences we ever had is when we had an estate sale, after my mom died (dad was gone earlier), dealing with the people coming through the house, was simply awful.  

No one in our family will have such a sale again. I don't want to even start with all the rude comments, obnoxious people, and actual thieves that came through.

When the time comes and we sell our house and move to an apartment, we intend to donate everything that the new owners do not want. Being in greater Chicago area, we have a number of organizations that will come out with a truck and take virtually everything in the house, and garage, if we wish.   

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Topics: 1,076
Kudos: 11,837

Message 5 of 11 (226 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

If you enjoy garage, estate & similar sales, are there some things you feel comfortable buying, but not others? What are your favorite items, and what would you definitely not buy?

No. That is the last thing I want to do. I have been getting rid of " stuff" and don't like or want to browse for more.  My sister loves it : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 6 of 11 (245 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - I like buying glass items, because they’re easy to wash clean .. both art glass & Pyrex/Corning bakeware. I’ve bought clothing, but only really high quality items at steep discount .. like barely-worn cashmere. Books are another good purchase, if you can pay $2 or less for an almost-new hardcover! I might buy a small collectable, if it was something I really liked .. although I don’t want clutter either! I bought the 2 lamps now in the guest room, and a couple other small ones that have moved around the house, at house sales. I’ve also done well with a few evening bags.

I would definitely not buy make-up or perfume even sealed; they might be knock-offs, and not the quality the brand name would suggest. Also I wouldn’t buy any food products for the same reason. I’ve seen people buy partially used cosmetics, and I can’t even imagine taking that risk!

@retiredtraveler – I went to one house sale like that; it was an enormous ranch in neighboring Saddle River, NJ, about to be demolished & replaced by a colonial twice the size. People were buying bathroom fixtures, beautiful wood paneling, light fixtures, etc. I never had the ability to transport large items like that, so we were just “window shopping” (not for actual windows. Smiley Happy

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 11 (249 Views)

@retiredtraveler I quick slightly off-topic meander:

a.) A person can make good $ harvesting and selling architectural details/parts; hope you guys are! (And good on ya!)

b.) One of my fave memories of the Chicago area is the abundance of Arts & Crafts homes; we have a few of those windows hanging --like the art they are-- in our abode.

c.) One of the reasons we bought this place was that the sellers had installed quite a bit of reclaimed /salvaged architectural elements, so it fit with our aesthetic.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,582

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 11 (256 Views)

I am on an email list for a local estate sale business.  They send out "sneak peeks" in the week prior to a sale which contain pictures of the rooms/display cases/ unusual pieces and detailed descriptions of what is offered.  I usually scroll through to see what is offered before I actually make plans to go.  Their sales are usually upscale and very popular, but unless it's something I can use or really have an eye for, I don't go.  They hand out numbers and only allow a specific number of people in the homes at one time, but it can get incredibly busy.  It's very well managed.  Sometimes I pick something up, many times I don't.

Special favorites are paintings, prints, decorative pottery, Lladro and similar collectibles, antique fly-fishing gear, vintage jewelry, sterling silver napkin rings or serving pieces in my silver pattern, needlepoint pillows, the occasional lamp or small piece of furniture.  I like to check out CDs for all genres of music and have added quite a few to my collection.

I am not usually attracted to personal or wearable items, but I love vintage handbags and have discovered a number of unusual ones.  Likewise, sheets, towels and other linens but i did go through a phase in my late 30's where I collected antique hand-embroidered linen items.  I'm too old and busy to fool with the care of these any more and the only ones I have left are from my own family and my late husband's mother.

I truly don't need another thing for the rest of my life since I have already downsized so it's a rare day you'll see me at an estate and garage sale, but I'll poke around a re-sale shop from time to time with a girlfriend if we're out and about.  Mostly to look...I really should be hauling my own stuff in there to unload it.  Woman Wink

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 11 (265 Views)

I don't do these for myself, but help a relative in a slight variation of these sales. We go to sales where an older house is going to be demolished so someone can build a brand new one. This is fairly common in the upscale Chicago burbs. The buyer has to come with their own tools, and muscle, and remove the items themselves.

We actually remove pieces of the house. Have purchased a bank of two-year old Bay windows for about 10% of original cost. Ditto on garden windows. Also have hauled a ton of old pavers to be used to build a new driveway. Have also taken out miscellaneous doors,m fixtures, or even lumber (things like 1x4 oak boards that would cost $15 a board new, and get them for a buck). Also, have dug out some shrubs.

Other relatives have purchased furniture of various types. They, again, go to the 'upscale' 'burbs to estate sales and get very expensive furniture, in great shape, at very low cost. Also have purchased some kitchen items. 

I have a sister who is knowledgeable in antique jewelery, so she has purchased items for a quarter of what she could resell them for. 

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 11 (305 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

If you enjoy garage, estate & similar sales, are there some things you feel comfortable buying, but not others? What are your favorite items, and what would you definitely not buy?

I do enjoy garage and estate sales. Or, rather, maybe I should say I did. I haven't attended one in the 2 years since I've been cleaning out closets in anticipation of downsizing to an RV. I imagine I'll pick up where I left off once we actually have the RV. Right now I just don't want to buy stuff I'll end up selling at my own sale. Smiley Happy

But anyway I have a weakness for antique kitchen gadgets (Ooooh! Is that a French butter curler? I'll take it!) and fish-specific commercial cooking stuff. (steamer, fillet knife, spatula, tongs: yes, please) 

I'd never buy bedding or personal items intending to use them in the house, though I did buy some sheets once to use as shade cloth for the beehives.

My better half has picked up some incredible circa 1930 tools. They sure don't make tools like they used to, man even the lowliest screwdriver used to be a work of art. He also likes antique tool boxes and has purchased a couple of those at estate sales.

Oh! And I got a fabulous, beautifully crafted stove top wok. I love that thing. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving