How Are You Challenging Outdated Beliefs on Aging? Join the #DisruptAging Conversation.

Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,570

Re: Fondest Childhood Memories?

Message 41 of 71 (512 Views)

@sm361854  I just love your story and especially the name of your family's motor home..."The Cranky Yankee!"  It's so cute!

Your story reminds me of my children's childhood memories!  Up until their mid-to-late teens, we vacationed on a small lake in New England.  No TV, no cell phones, the nearest movie theater was 45 minutes away, no MacDonald's nor any of the distractions "city kids" take for granted.  Instead, their days were filled with swimming, water-skiing, hiking, picking blueberries and playing pranks on one another.  They ate food fresh from the farm of a long-time friend, gorging on salads and fresh corn right from the field.  They were usually worn out by evening, but we still managed to play board games, tell "ghost stories," have great conversations and later, they read books and magazines during quiet hours.  We'd go for ice cream after supper most evenings.  They all have fond memories of those times!

I have great memories of camping, swimming & fishing with my parents and five younger brothers! 

Thanks for sharing...and this is your first post???  Please come back and share your thoughts on this and other forums.  It's always great to welcome a new poster!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Info Seeker

Message 42 of 71 (486 Views)

When I was ten years old, my Mom and Dad gave me my first-ever birthday party.  All 24 of my classmates were invited.  We had games in the backyard and everyone left with one prize of another.  My uncle dressed in a clown suit and played games with my classmates.  We had a BBQ with hamburgers and hotdogs, soda, and potato salad.  Then, we opened my presented with everyone sitting on the stairs to the second floor of our house.  It was the only birthday party I ever had, but here we are almost 55 years later and I still remember it with a smile.

Info Seeker

Message 43 of 71 (461 Views)

I grew up in Ottawa, Ontario and have this memory! (Long term seems more powerful than what happened last month!) I recall Helen Keller coming to my kindergarten class! I must've been struck by the reality of her life to remember this event. I doubted my memory but googled and lo and behold, she did visit Ottawa way back when!! I recall feeling empathy for this amazing woman. What a gift!

Info Seeker

Message 44 of 71 (461 Views)

When visiting grandparents, my parents would always take me to the St. Louis, MO zoo park.  Loved the big gorilla and watched him grow older as I grew older.  Remember his death made the news when I was in my late twenties.  Many years later as I was drinking through St. Louis, I returned to the zoo.  A bronze statue of the gorilla was outside the area in which he had spent his life. Warm memories of family, picnics at the zoo and my first theater expererience at the Muni surfaced.  

Conversationalist

Message 45 of 71 (503 Views)

One of my favorite memories happened on summer vacations  I was the oldest of 6 children, and we would go on vacation for two weeks every summer in our motor home "The Cranky Yankee".  One summer we went to Nova Scotia for the Clan Reunion and 15th annual Lobster Festival.  The vacation came that year when I turned 15 There was a huge parade and my dad told me that he had arranged it just for me, I knew he was kidding but enjoyed the idea.  We had wonderful vacations in the motor home going to many of the country's national parks and some of the craziest tourist attractions.  Six kids, two adults, no televison is nornally a recipe for disaster but we connected as a family again during those two weeks, we played board games, cards, sat around a camp fire and roasted hot dogs and marshmellos:  No matter how old I get I will always hold those memories dear.

Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,570

Message 46 of 71 (588 Views)

@PattyDiane  OMG!  Wow, that could have turned out badly...so glad you were warned in time!

I wonder if it was the same hurricane @catwoman500 and I were talking about earlier...Huricane Hazel?  That would have been in the mid-1950's, I think!  It was a powerful storm!

@ASTRAEA  Yeah!  That was my response to the tadpole cocktail as well!  Can you believe that story?  It's absolutely true!  It comes up every now and then in my family and we all fall apart laughing when it's told!

As far as getting family together, it was always by automobile, but my bus memories are when my grandmother would take me "downtown" on the bus to go shopping and have lunch.  I was the oldest granddaughter and I really felt special!

I do remember an extended stay with my mother's family in FL when I was very young.  She'd get homesick.  Woman Happy  We came back home on the train...what a long trip!  I've ridden so many trains since then...even the LIRR, lol!  If it were more efficient in my neck of the woods, I would use it more often.  I much prefer it to plane travel these days!  What a hassle!  When I went to FL last spring, I drove!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 47 of 71 (542 Views)

@PattyDiane...OMG! Over half a mile! So glad the shore patrol was there!Cat Surprised N.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 48 of 71 (514 Views)

@Prosecco6247...Oh, Mimi! What a memory that is! And he didn't get sick? Creek water plus tadpoles! If my mother had heard that she would have been in a tizzy! About that time with polio so rampant, she forbade me to go wading in the creek! Any body of water was suspect to her, so hearing that someone was drinking creek water would have given her heart palpitations for sure! Cat Surprised N.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 49 of 71 (510 Views)

Well, since we are talking storm stories, I have one too.

We were visiting Charleston, SC one summer on vacation.  It was a cloudy day and my mother hated the sun so we chose that day to go to the beach.  I was about 10 with my middle sister around 7 and my youngest sister a year old.  We were pleasantly surprised that the beach wasn't crowded that day, because of the clouds we assumed.  

My sister and I were having a great time jumping the waves, which were a bit bigger than normal when all of a sudden we heard a very loud male voice ordering us out of the water.  We looked around, thinking he must be talking to someone else, sounding so angry,  but that's when we realized there was nobody else around, either in the water or on the beach.

As it turned out my sister and I had been carried over a half of mile down the beach.  My mother had been so busy with my sister that she hadn't noticed we were out of sight.  My father had brought his fishing pole and was paying no attention either.  The shore patrol got us safely back to our parents and told us about the storm coming in.  These were the days before there were TV sets in all motel rooms and I guess we hadn't been using the car radio.  We had no idea of a hurricane that hit that night.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 50 of 71 (505 Views)

Getting back to the original topic, did you have a lot of relatives you saw often & did things together? Did you have cousins your age? How spread out was your family?

Mom & I didn't have a car, but that didn't stop us from going places! It would be 2 or 3 subway trains & a bus, when we'd visit the cemetery a couple times a year. It was such a long ride, it really felt like a "trip", and we'd stop at the coffee shop for lunch at the bus terminal, on the way home. It was a similar "adventure" when we visited my one aunt & her family on Long Island .. subway train to the Long Island Railroad .. and they'd pick us up at the station there.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!