New Health Care Bill Threatens Protection of Preexisting Conditions. Take Action

Topics: 47
Kudos: 1,418

Re: Fondest Childhood Memories?

[ Edited ]
Message 41 of 60 (357 Views)

catwoman500  Talk about little daredevils!  Woman Wink  You were like Sir Edmund Hilary climbing the Mt. Everest of MUD!  LOL!  Woman LOL

I must have drawn the line at mud.  I have plenty of water stories, though!

My absolute favorite is when I was about 12 or 13.  My brothers and I were playing a pickup game of "wiffleball" softball with some of the neighbor kids in our backyard.  We lived on a creek and were always going fishing, crabbing, and picking up critters.  One of my younger brothers had noticed that the water was full of tadpoles, so he got himself a quart-sized Mason jar and had about twenty or thirty of the little guys in the jar and it was filled 2/3 of the way with water...creek water.  He left it on the back porch steps and told us to watch it until he got back.

Well, we all worked up a sweat and a mighty thirst, so one of my brothers went into the house to bring out some cups so we could drink water out of the hose without having to pass it around.  One of the boys (our next door neighbor) wasn't paying that much attention and he saw the mason jar.  

He made a mental leap and thought that was what we were supposed to be drinking out of.  (My brother hadn't come back out yet.)  Well, the neighbor kid went for the jar of water and we all screamed at him, "No! No! No!" but he just picked that jar up and drank the contents right down!   Woman Surprised  

We were all laughing and rolling on the ground!    Woman LOL  He was saying "What? What are you laughing at?"  He couldn't believe us when we told him what he'd done!  We asked him how he felt and couldn't he tell what he was drinking and could he feel them in his stomach???...all the things kids would ask.  We knew he coldn't die from it but, in spite of all our laughter, we all had a little fear he would get sick. Woman Mad

When we asked him why he didn't listen to us, he said, "I thought you wanted to drink it and I was too thirsty!"  I don't know why he just didn't go straight to the hose and drink.  Woman Frustrated

I'm happy to report he suffered no ill effects!  I don't think he told his mom!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 42 of 60 (327 Views)

@catwoman500 - Another great story .. all's well that ends well (minus a rubber boot or slipper)

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 43 of 60 (331 Views)

@ASTRAEA...OMG! That is like my mud story! HA!

They were building a new water tower a few blocks away and of course we were warned to stay away. Well, like most kids, curiosity got the best of us and my friend and I went to check it out. It had been raining, and we had boots on (the little old red rubber ones that went on over our shoes). The mountain of mud was just waiting to be climbed...what fun! And so up we went until about hlafway when our feet started to get stuck in the mud. We turned around to get down and my one boot came off in the mud and there was no way we could get it. My mother was so angry at me...apparently they were new boots. She took me back up to the mud pile and retrieved my boot, but of course I was punished for disobeying her. Cat Sad

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 44 of 60 (296 Views)

@Prosecco6247...How many hurricanes have come since Hazel, but that one will always stay in my mind. Do you think it was my first one, maybe?

You certainly were a little daredevil, huh? Cat Happy

Seems there was a lot of stuff for us to climb and get stuck in back in the day. I'll have to think of writing up the time I got stuck in mud. Cat Happy

Message 45 of 60 (231 Views)

I realize long after-the-fact, that Mom did things for expediency, without enough thought for personal safety! Maybe that's why I have so much faith in God .. he saved her from herself, all of those times!

A while after that other episode, we'd had the foundation dug out in the backyard, and the house sealed with something like tar below grade. I guess the contractor just tossed the dirt back in afterwards, without compacting it. So the next heavy rain, Mom went to the basement to check that it was dry, then went outside to look at the wall. I don't know why Mom went out in the rain with just slip-on bedroom slippers on (like sandals), but she did .. expedient. Sure enough, she stepped into the area that had been excavated, and her foot sunk in like quicksand! Fortunately it was only one foot .. and she called out to me. She told me not to get too close to the house, but gave me her hands & I pulled her leg out of the mud. We never did find the slipper she'd been wearing. Wonder if future owners ever dug it up & wondered if there was a body down there! Smiley Happy

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 46 of 60 (203 Views)

@ASTRAEA...YIKES! I bet a blister was never so welcomed as that one! N.

Message 47 of 60 (215 Views)

OMG!  How scary was that!  Woman Surprised

Message 48 of 60 (207 Views)

If we're moving into "storm stories", I've got a good one there! I'm not sure why, but there was a floor drain in the basement addition to the house in which I grew up. One time we had a storm that brought so much rain, the water backed up from the backyard, into the basement. Mom & I went outside, and the "dry well" towards the back of the property had gotten silted in over time. So Mom got a pitchfork & began digging it out again, so the water would drain without doing into the house. My grandfather was a tinsmith & roofer, so he had a lot of homemade tools .. like that pitchfork. It was all metal; the fork bottom being screwed into a length of steel pipe. So Mom was digging (standing in the pouring rain), until she developed a blister on her hand, and jammed the pitchfork into the ground, while she looked at the growing blister. Just as she stepped back to look at her hands, the all-metal pitchfork was struck by lightning! We looked at each other & didn't say anything .. makes you realize how lucky you are, and how easy it would have been for the lightning to have hit the pitchfork a minute earlier .. when Mom was still holding it!

Message 49 of 60 (209 Views)

@catwoman500  That is an enchanting story, Nancy!  I can see how you must have thought Cinderella lived there!  Woman Happy

[ Edited ]
Message 50 of 60 (211 Views)

@catwoman500  Your memory of Hurricane Hazel was so cute!  I hardly ever hear anyone speak of that one any more...the hurricane, I mean!  LOL!

I remember Hazel very well, even though I was about the same age as you.  So many trees down!  I had never seen anything like that before.  I don't know why, but I remember for some reason being able to scramble up to the top of a shed that was attached to our house and I was standing on the roof feeling like I was on top of the world!  I must have crawled up on a downed tree.  My dad came out and saw me on the roof and fearing I might fall off, he yelled at me to "get down off of there!"  I figured I was in big trouble so, not wasting any time, I tried to get down quickly.  Getting down was not so easy as getting up and I tried to slide down the side.  There was a nail sticking out of the siding and it caught the inside of my knee.  Yee-ouch!  I still have a faint scar there.  Anyway, I got a talking-to and a "see what happens when you don't mind Mommy & Daddy?"  I was such a tomboy and it was the first of many scrapes, cuts, bruises and even a dog bite that I remember.  They were always asking me, "Why can't you be more lady-like? and I'd just shrug and say, "I dunno."  They probably felt it was a lost cause but, when I started noticing boys, that all changed.  I suppose they wished I was back climbing trees!  Woman Wink