How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Fondest Childhood Memories?

Message 31 of 46 (196 Views)

I realize long after-the-fact, that Mom did things for expediency, without enough thought for personal safety! Maybe that's why I have so much faith in God .. he saved her from herself, all of those times!

A while after that other episode, we'd had the foundation dug out in the backyard, and the house sealed with something like tar below grade. I guess the contractor just tossed the dirt back in afterwards, without compacting it. So the next heavy rain, Mom went to the basement to check that it was dry, then went outside to look at the wall. I don't know why Mom went out in the rain with just slip-on bedroom slippers on (like sandals), but she did .. expedient. Sure enough, she stepped into the area that had been excavated, and her foot sunk in like quicksand! Fortunately it was only one foot .. and she called out to me. She told me not to get too close to the house, but gave me her hands & I pulled her leg out of the mud. We never did find the slipper she'd been wearing. Wonder if future owners ever dug it up & wondered if there was a body down there! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 46 (168 Views)

@ASTRAEA...YIKES! I bet a blister was never so welcomed as that one! N.

Topics: 39
Kudos: 1,317

Message 33 of 46 (170 Views)

OMG!  How scary was that!  Woman Surprised

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 34 of 46 (162 Views)

If we're moving into "storm stories", I've got a good one there! I'm not sure why, but there was a floor drain in the basement addition to the house in which I grew up. One time we had a storm that brought so much rain, the water backed up from the backyard, into the basement. Mom & I went outside, and the "dry well" towards the back of the property had gotten silted in over time. So Mom got a pitchfork & began digging it out again, so the water would drain without doing into the house. My grandfather was a tinsmith & roofer, so he had a lot of homemade tools .. like that pitchfork. It was all metal; the fork bottom being screwed into a length of steel pipe. So Mom was digging (standing in the pouring rain), until she developed a blister on her hand, and jammed the pitchfork into the ground, while she looked at the growing blister. Just as she stepped back to look at her hands, the all-metal pitchfork was struck by lightning! We looked at each other & didn't say anything .. makes you realize how lucky you are, and how easy it would have been for the lightning to have hit the pitchfork a minute earlier .. when Mom was still holding it!

Message 35 of 46 (164 Views)

@catwoman500  That is an enchanting story, Nancy!  I can see how you must have thought Cinderella lived there!  Woman Happy

[ Edited ]
Message 36 of 46 (163 Views)

@catwoman500  Your memory of Hurricane Hazel was so cute!  I hardly ever hear anyone speak of that one any more...the hurricane, I mean!  LOL!

I remember Hazel very well, even though I was about the same age as you.  So many trees down!  I had never seen anything like that before.  I don't know why, but I remember for some reason being able to scramble up to the top of a shed that was attached to our house and I was standing on the roof feeling like I was on top of the world!  I must have crawled up on a downed tree.  My dad came out and saw me on the roof and fearing I might fall off, he yelled at me to "get down off of there!"  I figured I was in big trouble so, not wasting any time, I tried to get down quickly.  Getting down was not so easy as getting up and I tried to slide down the side.  There was a nail sticking out of the siding and it caught the inside of my knee.  Yee-ouch!  I still have a faint scar there.  Anyway, I got a talking-to and a "see what happens when you don't mind Mommy & Daddy?"  I was such a tomboy and it was the first of many scrapes, cuts, bruises and even a dog bite that I remember.  They were always asking me, "Why can't you be more lady-like? and I'd just shrug and say, "I dunno."  They probably felt it was a lost cause but, when I started noticing boys, that all changed.  I suppose they wished I was back climbing trees!  Woman Wink  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 46 (154 Views)

@ASTRAEA..YES! We didn't need "things" to keep us busy!

Another memory is etched into my brain. I thought I had entered another world with this one:

My grandmother’s next door neighbor worked as a caretaker for what, I didn’t know back then as a child in the 1950’s, must have been an estate. As a little kid, I had no clue what that even meant and naturally had to go with my parents and grandparents when (Mr. Breslin) wanted to show them the place. I remember that it seemed to take forever to get there, and now I’m thinking, did he drive that distance every day?

So…we eventually drove down this long gravel driveway and into this enchanted open area. A huge mansion appeared with all these glorious old trees, gardens, a greenhouse, streams, and walkways around it. I remember walking down a path and a little frog or toad (the first I had ever seen in “person”) was sitting in the middle of the path. My dad and I stopped to check it out.

We toured the inside and I remember saying, “Are you sure only one family lives here?” The house seemed to go on and on and we only saw the ground floor! Oh, the staircases and bannisters were so grand.

The best part for me was when Mr. Breslin opened this one door and all that registered for me was the floor, the huge, vast expanse of parquet floor, the grand piano, and the wide wall of windows that looked out into woods. It was the ballroom! A room just for dancing? I couldn’t imagine having a ballroom in a house! I thought maybe Cinderella lived there. Cat Happy

I will never forget that experience. When I think about it now, I’m wondering if it was really closer to us than I thought. Time always passed slowly when we were little. Since we lived in Havertown, PA, not far from Philadelphia’s “Main Line,” I’m thinking it could have been one of those grand old estates in Gladwyne, Villanova or the Ardmore area. I’ll never know. N.

Message 38 of 46 (157 Views)

@catwoman500 - That was so hilarious; I think kids had more imagination & could entertain themselves without any special equipment, back then!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 39 of 46 (157 Views)

I love all of your memories!There are so many fond childhood memories for me. We had such great imaginations! I’ll start with a fun one and maybe come back for some holiday ones.

Hurricane Hazel was arriving so it must have been in the 1950’s and I must have been about 5 or 6. My next door neighbor, Bobby, and I were playing in my basement. All of a sudden the lights went out and Bobby screamed bloody murder. We raced upstairs to the kitchen to my mother and she calmed us down. I’m not sure why she let us do the next thing, but it was so funny…I thought we should go outside with umbrellas and try to fly like Mary Poppins. Oh, I could just picture us flying over the neighborhood. The rain hadn’t started yet, but it was so windy. Mom kept saying, “No”, but finally she relented and into the back yard we went with her standing at the door. I was so exhilarated! Imagine...we were going to fly! Then…all that happened was that the umbrellas blew inside out and that was the end of that. Cat LOL N.

Message 40 of 46 (171 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

Many years later, when my grandmother & everyone in Mom's generation had died, I found that tape, althought the recorder had stopped working & been replaced. I found someone who could heat-treat the old tape & convert it to CD for me, and I gave copies to my cousins. The best part was listening to the family discussion during dinner! I think I gave them out on the 40th anniversary of that Passover Seder!

Awwwww!  Isn't it wonderful to be living in this golden age of technology?  Perhaps I should say titanium, silicon, diamond or germanium age...Woman Wink

I have a CD recording of an event very precious to me and our children.  I can't tell you how much it means to me.  I'm sure your cousins were touched by your generous gesture.