Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Fondest Childhood Memories?

Message 31 of 71 (456 Views)

I actually have so many fond childhood memories, it would be disrespectful to try to describe one of which it could be said to be my most fond.

But . . .

When I was five years old, my Dad was accepted to a chef school in France; although we lived in Germany at the time.

We took him to his school in a VW bug, and I got to ride behind the backseat in the little luggage well.

Hey - I was five! Ha!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 32 of 71 (465 Views)

Childhood memories.  Huh!  I threw away my childhood pictures.

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 71 (534 Views)
I remember that gorilla as well. His name was Phil!
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 34 of 71 (534 Views)

Billy Crystal had in right when he talked about the first time he went to yankee stadium. The altar boys at my church were taken to a double header one summer when after walking through the dark cavernous tunnels that led to your seat, the first thing that hit you was how green the grass was on the field, nothing like any lawn I've ever seen in the suburbs. And looking up at all of the championship banners and trying to determine where the gaps were, they had won so many, an image I'll never forget.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 35 of 71 (537 Views)

When I was about 11 years old my folks took the kids down to New York City and the highlight of the trip was going up the Empire State Building. While walking along the observation deck. I came across a crack across the tiles and thought to myself, " here I am walking on the spot where King Kong bounced after he was shot off the tower!" Little did I know at the time that it was all movie magic. Was still a great memory thinking it was possible.

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 71 (537 Views)

Being put on restriction! No phone, no TV. Banned to my bedroom where I could read all the books I wanted without my brother bothering me. YES!!!

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 71 (518 Views)

J. B. Giffen's Ice Cream Parlor in Harrisville, OH.

Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,567

Message 38 of 71 (536 Views)

@retiredliz1  Oh, wow!  What a memory to carry throughout a lifetime!  She must have been a charismatic figure to attract your attention at such a young age.  Helen Keller's life story is an amazing one!

Growing up in Ontario, I'll bet you have a lot of stories to share with the rest of us.  I have a friend who is originally from Ottawa and I love to listen to her share memories of her childhood.

It's been great to see new posters today!  Welcome to the discussion forums and please feel free to shae your thoughts here and elsewhere in the AARP discussion community!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 39 of 71 (457 Views)

@cp16481626  That's a pretty special memory...you must have found something deeply stirring in your visits with the gorilla to have returned so many times.

There's a lady who posts on these pages who also has a fondness for gorillas.  Perhaps your paths will cross on the discussion pages.  Did you know there is a discussion forum dedicated to dogs, cats and pets?  Other animals are sometimes discussed as well.  Perhaps you might find a kindred spirit among the animal lovers, although there are plenty of other discussions you may find enjoyable as well!

Thanks for posting and please don't be shy about returning to share your thoughts!

[ Edited ]
Message 40 of 71 (451 Views)

@ladysuper1 What a great day that must have been for you!  To have such vivid memories after 55 years, it must have been the highlight of your young life! 

I just realized that this is one of a few posts since you've been a member of the AARP community.  Welcome!  I hope you will continue to share your thoughts here and on a number of discussion threads throughout the community.  For inspiration, look to the right of the page for a list of active forums on the AARP website.  Enjoy!