How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Topics: 39
Kudos: 1,317

Re: Fondest Childhood Memories?

Message 21 of 46 (414 Views)

@PattyDiane  OMG!  Wow, that could have turned out badly...so glad you were warned in time!

I wonder if it was the same hurricane @catwoman500 and I were talking about earlier...Huricane Hazel?  That would have been in the mid-1950's, I think!  It was a powerful storm!

@ASTRAEA  Yeah!  That was my response to the tadpole cocktail as well!  Can you believe that story?  It's absolutely true!  It comes up every now and then in my family and we all fall apart laughing when it's told!

As far as getting family together, it was always by automobile, but my bus memories are when my grandmother would take me "downtown" on the bus to go shopping and have lunch.  I was the oldest granddaughter and I really felt special!

I do remember an extended stay with my mother's family in FL when I was very young.  She'd get homesick.  Woman Happy  We came back home on the train...what a long trip!  I've ridden so many trains since then...even the LIRR, lol!  If it were more efficient in my neck of the woods, I would use it more often.  I much prefer it to plane travel these days!  What a hassle!  When I went to FL last spring, I drove!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 46 (373 Views)

@PattyDiane...OMG! Over half a mile! So glad the shore patrol was there!Cat Surprised N.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 46 (353 Views)

@Prosecco6247...Oh, Mimi! What a memory that is! And he didn't get sick? Creek water plus tadpoles! If my mother had heard that she would have been in a tizzy! About that time with polio so rampant, she forbade me to go wading in the creek! Any body of water was suspect to her, so hearing that someone was drinking creek water would have given her heart palpitations for sure! Cat Surprised N.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 24 of 46 (349 Views)

Well, since we are talking storm stories, I have one too.

We were visiting Charleston, SC one summer on vacation.  It was a cloudy day and my mother hated the sun so we chose that day to go to the beach.  I was about 10 with my middle sister around 7 and my youngest sister a year old.  We were pleasantly surprised that the beach wasn't crowded that day, because of the clouds we assumed.  

My sister and I were having a great time jumping the waves, which were a bit bigger than normal when all of a sudden we heard a very loud male voice ordering us out of the water.  We looked around, thinking he must be talking to someone else, sounding so angry,  but that's when we realized there was nobody else around, either in the water or on the beach.

As it turned out my sister and I had been carried over a half of mile down the beach.  My mother had been so busy with my sister that she hadn't noticed we were out of sight.  My father had brought his fishing pole and was paying no attention either.  The shore patrol got us safely back to our parents and told us about the storm coming in.  These were the days before there were TV sets in all motel rooms and I guess we hadn't been using the car radio.  We had no idea of a hurricane that hit that night.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 46 (344 Views)

Getting back to the original topic, did you have a lot of relatives you saw often & did things together? Did you have cousins your age? How spread out was your family?

Mom & I didn't have a car, but that didn't stop us from going places! It would be 2 or 3 subway trains & a bus, when we'd visit the cemetery a couple times a year. It was such a long ride, it really felt like a "trip", and we'd stop at the coffee shop for lunch at the bus terminal, on the way home. It was a similar "adventure" when we visited my one aunt & her family on Long Island .. subway train to the Long Island Railroad .. and they'd pick us up at the station there.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 26 of 46 (338 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - Eeeeew! Smiley Sad

Topics: 39
Kudos: 1,317

[ Edited ]
Message 27 of 46 (323 Views)

catwoman500  Talk about little daredevils!  Woman Wink  You were like Sir Edmund Hilary climbing the Mt. Everest of MUD!  LOL!  Woman LOL

I must have drawn the line at mud.  I have plenty of water stories, though!

My absolute favorite is when I was about 12 or 13.  My brothers and I were playing a pickup game of "wiffleball" softball with some of the neighbor kids in our backyard.  We lived on a creek and were always going fishing, crabbing, and picking up critters.  One of my younger brothers had noticed that the water was full of tadpoles, so he got himself a quart-sized Mason jar and had about twenty or thirty of the little guys in the jar and it was filled 2/3 of the way with water...creek water.  He left it on the back porch steps and told us to watch it until he got back.

Well, we all worked up a sweat and a mighty thirst, so one of my brothers went into the house to bring out some cups so we could drink water out of the hose without having to pass it around.  One of the boys (our next door neighbor) wasn't paying that much attention and he saw the mason jar.  

He made a mental leap and thought that was what we were supposed to be drinking out of.  (My brother hadn't come back out yet.)  Well, the neighbor kid went for the jar of water and we all screamed at him, "No! No! No!" but he just picked that jar up and drank the contents right down!   Woman Surprised  

We were all laughing and rolling on the ground!    Woman LOL  He was saying "What? What are you laughing at?"  He couldn't believe us when we told him what he'd done!  We asked him how he felt and couldn't he tell what he was drinking and could he feel them in his stomach???...all the things kids would ask.  We knew he coldn't die from it but, in spite of all our laughter, we all had a little fear he would get sick. Woman Mad

When we asked him why he didn't listen to us, he said, "I thought you wanted to drink it and I was too thirsty!"  I don't know why he just didn't go straight to the hose and drink.  Woman Frustrated

I'm happy to report he suffered no ill effects!  I don't think he told his mom!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 28 of 46 (292 Views)

@catwoman500 - Another great story .. all's well that ends well (minus a rubber boot or slipper)

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 46 (296 Views)

@ASTRAEA...OMG! That is like my mud story! HA!

They were building a new water tower a few blocks away and of course we were warned to stay away. Well, like most kids, curiosity got the best of us and my friend and I went to check it out. It had been raining, and we had boots on (the little old red rubber ones that went on over our shoes). The mountain of mud was just waiting to be climbed...what fun! And so up we went until about hlafway when our feet started to get stuck in the mud. We turned around to get down and my one boot came off in the mud and there was no way we could get it. My mother was so angry at me...apparently they were new boots. She took me back up to the mud pile and retrieved my boot, but of course I was punished for disobeying her. Cat Sad

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 46 (257 Views)

@Prosecco6247...How many hurricanes have come since Hazel, but that one will always stay in my mind. Do you think it was my first one, maybe?

You certainly were a little daredevil, huh? Cat Happy

Seems there was a lot of stuff for us to climb and get stuck in back in the day. I'll have to think of writing up the time I got stuck in mud. Cat Happy