How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Re: Fondest Childhood Memories?

Message 11 of 46 (429 Views)

Being put on restriction! No phone, no TV. Banned to my bedroom where I could read all the books I wanted without my brother bothering me. YES!!!

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 46 (408 Views)

J. B. Giffen's Ice Cream Parlor in Harrisville, OH.

Topics: 39
Kudos: 1,317

Message 13 of 46 (426 Views)

@retiredliz1  Oh, wow!  What a memory to carry throughout a lifetime!  She must have been a charismatic figure to attract your attention at such a young age.  Helen Keller's life story is an amazing one!

Growing up in Ontario, I'll bet you have a lot of stories to share with the rest of us.  I have a friend who is originally from Ottawa and I love to listen to her share memories of her childhood.

It's been great to see new posters today!  Welcome to the discussion forums and please feel free to shae your thoughts here and elsewhere in the AARP discussion community!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 14 of 46 (348 Views)

@cp16481626  That's a pretty special memory...you must have found something deeply stirring in your visits with the gorilla to have returned so many times.

There's a lady who posts on these pages who also has a fondness for gorillas.  Perhaps your paths will cross on the discussion pages.  Did you know there is a discussion forum dedicated to dogs, cats and pets?  Other animals are sometimes discussed as well.  Perhaps you might find a kindred spirit among the animal lovers, although there are plenty of other discussions you may find enjoyable as well!

Thanks for posting and please don't be shy about returning to share your thoughts!

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 46 (342 Views)

@ladysuper1 What a great day that must have been for you!  To have such vivid memories after 55 years, it must have been the highlight of your young life! 

I just realized that this is one of a few posts since you've been a member of the AARP community.  Welcome!  I hope you will continue to share your thoughts here and on a number of discussion threads throughout the community.  For inspiration, look to the right of the page for a list of active forums on the AARP website.  Enjoy!

Message 16 of 46 (336 Views)

@sm361854  I just love your story and especially the name of your family's motor home..."The Cranky Yankee!"  It's so cute!

Your story reminds me of my children's childhood memories!  Up until their mid-to-late teens, we vacationed on a small lake in New England.  No TV, no cell phones, the nearest movie theater was 45 minutes away, no MacDonald's nor any of the distractions "city kids" take for granted.  Instead, their days were filled with swimming, water-skiing, hiking, picking blueberries and playing pranks on one another.  They ate food fresh from the farm of a long-time friend, gorging on salads and fresh corn right from the field.  They were usually worn out by evening, but we still managed to play board games, tell "ghost stories," have great conversations and later, they read books and magazines during quiet hours.  We'd go for ice cream after supper most evenings.  They all have fond memories of those times!

I have great memories of camping, swimming & fishing with my parents and five younger brothers! 

Thanks for sharing...and this is your first post???  Please come back and share your thoughts on this and other forums.  It's always great to welcome a new poster!

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 46 (310 Views)

When I was ten years old, my Mom and Dad gave me my first-ever birthday party.  All 24 of my classmates were invited.  We had games in the backyard and everyone left with one prize of another.  My uncle dressed in a clown suit and played games with my classmates.  We had a BBQ with hamburgers and hotdogs, soda, and potato salad.  Then, we opened my presented with everyone sitting on the stairs to the second floor of our house.  It was the only birthday party I ever had, but here we are almost 55 years later and I still remember it with a smile.

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 46 (285 Views)

I grew up in Ottawa, Ontario and have this memory! (Long term seems more powerful than what happened last month!) I recall Helen Keller coming to my kindergarten class! I must've been struck by the reality of her life to remember this event. I doubted my memory but googled and lo and behold, she did visit Ottawa way back when!! I recall feeling empathy for this amazing woman. What a gift!

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 46 (285 Views)

When visiting grandparents, my parents would always take me to the St. Louis, MO zoo park.  Loved the big gorilla and watched him grow older as I grew older.  Remember his death made the news when I was in my late twenties.  Many years later as I was drinking through St. Louis, I returned to the zoo.  A bronze statue of the gorilla was outside the area in which he had spent his life. Warm memories of family, picnics at the zoo and my first theater expererience at the Muni surfaced.  

Conversationalist

Message 20 of 46 (327 Views)

One of my favorite memories happened on summer vacations  I was the oldest of 6 children, and we would go on vacation for two weeks every summer in our motor home "The Cranky Yankee".  One summer we went to Nova Scotia for the Clan Reunion and 15th annual Lobster Festival.  The vacation came that year when I turned 15 There was a huge parade and my dad told me that he had arranged it just for me, I knew he was kidding but enjoyed the idea.  We had wonderful vacations in the motor home going to many of the country's national parks and some of the craziest tourist attractions.  Six kids, two adults, no televison is nornally a recipe for disaster but we connected as a family again during those two weeks, we played board games, cards, sat around a camp fire and roasted hot dogs and marshmellos:  No matter how old I get I will always hold those memories dear.