Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Fondest Childhood Memories?

Message 1 of 71 (362 Views)

@Soosie  I think that is a terrific childhood memory!  It teaches us a very important lesson; namely, that children will build upon the positive experiences in their lives and ultimately incorporate them into their characters and personalities.

Instilling confidence in a child would seem to be one of the primary goals of those in the teaching profession.  I hope it is a consistent belief across the ranks of the dedicated corps of men and women who undertake the education of our children.

You said in your post that your 2nd grade teacher let all the children sing in front of the classroom audience.  I think that was key...it sounds as if she encouraged and didn't push those who were not yet ready to do so...for reasons of shyness, insecurity, embarrassment or perhaps even a simple lack of desire.

Your story is a lesson for all parents, teachers and those who care about our children's futures...and indeed, their future success.

I hope that others who read this story will repeat it as an anecdote whenever an opportunity arises and spread it's very important message.  Thanks for sharing!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 71 (368 Views)
To all of you. What wonderful memories. I enjoyed reading all of them and it did put a smile on my face.

My memory to share is somewhat different, but it did make a lasting impact on my life. I didn't realize how important it would be, but do now.

When I was second grade the teacher would let each of us come to the front of the room and sing. I always sang "Your Cheating Heart." Most likely very badly, but my classmates were kind. This was before I even knew anyone with a cheating heart.

What this gave me was self confidence. As I have given speeches, given my humorous talks to groups, stood to give reports or training in my job, and won an award or so in Toastmasters, I always think of my start. I don't panic in front of groups. That teacher did something important for me. Today, there is probably some government regulation that would prohibit having children do this in a classroom.
Soosie

Message 3 of 71 (400 Views)

@Prosecco6247,  oh those boxes from Florida were wonderful. The first time I ever saw or tasted a kumquat was when the box arrived and they were sprinkled in between the oranges and grapefruits! Cat Happy N.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 71 (404 Views)

@catwoman500   I believe you're right!  I never saw them at my house unless it was Christmas!  My mother grew up in Florida, so citrus fruits didn't seem exotic to her...but it

was a winter treat we all ooked forward to.

As children, we lived in the mid-Atlantic where my father's family was from, so unless your FL relatives sent a box of citrus at Christmas, the only tangerines one saw were the ones at the A&P or Santa brought it!  Woman Wink

Message 5 of 71 (406 Views)

@Prosecco6247, Actually, the aroma when peeling a tangerine reminds me of Christmas because there would aways be one in the toe of my Christmas stocking. And weren't tangerines only available in the winter back when we were kids? Cat Happy N.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 71 (411 Views)

@catwoman500  What a great memory!  It made me wonder if you can also summon that memory when you smell the aroma of a tangerine as it's being peeled?  Those sensory  memories can be very powerful!  Woman Very Happy

Message 7 of 71 (417 Views)

As I was crocheting last night with a lovely shade of peachy coral thread, I was hit with another feel-good childhood memory.

My father was a commercial artist and worked just outside the city, so he walked about a half mile to the station and took what we called the “P&W” (Philadelphia and Western) train line into town every day to work. In the evenings I would wait on the driveway until I spotted him turn the corner and head down the block towards home, evening newspaper tucked under his arm. I would start walking up to meet him. He always looked and smelled as clean and neat as when he left the house in the morning. Sometimes when he stopped at the drugstore near the station to buy the newspaper, he’d buy a pint of hand dipped and packed ice cream. (Remember those white cardboard containers that they jammed packed with ice cream and folded at the top?) Anyway, sometimes, but not very often, they would have tangerine sherbet (I read that we can actually use the “r” now…[sherbert] which was the way we pronounced it anyway, way back when) and when he brought that home it was a real treat! The thread I was using reminded me of that sherbert and so I share this memory with you all. Cat Happy

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 71 (449 Views)

@volunteer67:: Thank you for putting a smile on my face this morning! Our little blue planet would be a much nicer place if everyone were 1/10th as cool as you! Now I'm going to pay the smile forward! XOXO JH

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 9 of 71 (463 Views)
You are "just plain kind and I thank you."
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 71 (475 Views)

@volunteer67   After reading several of your posts, I am certain that you bring great joy to all of those who are fortunate enough to know you in real life!

Please continue to post on the discussion groups.  Insight like yours brings all of us to a higher level of the human experience.  Woman Very Happy