Latest Update on the Health Care Bill — Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Watch Facebook Live

Topics: 1,037
Kudos: 11,574

Re: Fondest Childhood Memories?

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 55 (46 Views)

Boy these are great posts!  I have enjoyed reading them!

I have countless great memories, all centered around my family!  Everything from our daily lives together to our travels and holidays. I had the best mom and dad in the world and have always known what a blessing that was.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 55 (90 Views)

I am sure this is not a fond memory, but it is a life lesson. Your hurt over forgetting your father's birthday was probably greater than his. But you did learn and never forgot again. On that day, your dad got lost in the shuffle, much like Samantha in Sixteen Candles.

Topics: 47
Kudos: 1,411

Message 3 of 55 (101 Views)

Awww!  @PattyDiane, What a poignant memory!  You have captured his disappointment  in your post and it's almost palpable.

Thank you for sharing such a vivid and highly personal memory...it really touched my heart!  Heart  Woman Happy

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 55 (108 Views)

Today would be my father's 107th birthday.  I remember when I was a child.  I don't remember how old, somewhere around 9 or 10, but Daddy's birthday and Easter happened to be on the same day.  Everyone had been excited about Easter, with new dresses, baskets, going to church, Sunday dinner with Grandmother, etc. that nobody remembered my Father's birthday.

I don't know if he realized it before dinner or not.  Perhaps he was expecting a cake to be brought out, but it was at dinner that he mentioned it.  I was the oldest and felt bad that I hadn't remembered.  I could tell he was hurt and so could my mother who teased him for pouting.  He didn't say anything then but I could tell that really hurt him.  I think Mother saw it too and dropped the subject but I swore I would never again forget Daddy's birthday.

I've thought of that so many times in the past 65 or so years and realized that I got a glimpse of my father's "inner child" that day.  My father had been the oldest of 9 children in a family with little money.  He never wanted to talk about his childhood very much, but I feel pretty certain that wasn't the first time his birthday had been forgotten.  But it was certainly the last.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 55 (160 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - That's so true! And my Mom being divorced meant she took me along on all vacation trips, that in many families would have been Mom & Dad going .. while the children went to camp or stayed home with another relative.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Topics: 47
Kudos: 1,411

Message 6 of 55 (161 Views)

One thing most important things loving & conscientous parents try to do for their children is to provide positive experiences and wonderful family memories that will last a lifetme.  Sue, it looks as if your parents were high achievers in both categories!  How touching to hear you tell your story...I can feel the excitement in your words!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 55 (164 Views)

@doglover52, Sue, You have such a detailed memory of that trip. How wonderful to remember so much! N.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 55 (171 Views)

One of my fondest childhood memories happen in 1968.Our family took a 3 week summer vacation trip out West.We flew from Buffalo-Denver,saw the AirForce Academy,rented a car the rest of the way. We spent couple days at Grand Canyon,Jackson Hole, Wyoming then on to Los Angeles. In LA we were staying at the Roosevelt Hotel.In the elevator one morning,a movie star got on who I recognized,wonderful character actor,Paul Ford{he played "Mayor Shin" in "Music Man"}.I wanted to say something to him,but was so 'star struck'. When I got back to our hotel room,told my parents,brother&sister about my experience,they had no idea who he was LOL! I was on 'cloud nine' for the rest of the day

As we headed towards San Francisco,we stopped briefly in Las Vegas,my mom wanted to buy postcard stamps. My siblings&I went with her,we were amazed to see slot machines in the drug store. The manger told her,we couldn't touch the machines because we were underaged. My dad was getting a bit frustrated waiting in the car, 1/2hr later she returns,so happy. She played 1 of the slot machines won $ 30

In SF,we stayed with my mom's cousins who lived 1/2hr from the city in the country. We had a wonderful time doing usual tourist attractions,perfect way to end our trip. A couple days later we flew home Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 55 (180 Views)

waiting at railroad tracks for either or both my two brothers to come home on leave during World War ll.

One or both would lift me up so high and then hug me so tight.    Naturally, I had missed them so very much, I cried and cried.  One brother was a navy man all the way.  The other brother, older by only one year than the sailor was a bombadier for those flying fortresses which went over the enemy.

Many prayers of thanksging both my big brothers returned, safely.

Charlee

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 55 (199 Views)

I do not have any good memories. Reading all of yours just makes me happy to know other people had an amazing and blessed childhood!