Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Conversationalist

Re: First car

Message 51 of 172 (1,546 Views)

My first car was a Ford Pinto waaay back in 1971. It was a green hatchbacback and I loved it until someone creamed it on the freeway!!!

Info Seeker

Message 52 of 172 (1,500 Views)

My first car was a used 1975 Chevy Nova - robin egg blue.  I added a great stereo system so I could play my radio loud.  LOL  Teenagers!  I only had it for two years and sold it to my grandmother when I moved to San Francisco and didn't need a car anymore.  I often wonder where it is these days...

Info Seeker

Message 53 of 172 (1,420 Views)

A 1937 Fiat 500, look it up it was a very advanced little car for its time. In Italy I learned years later it was nick-named "Topolino" - (clock-work mouse). Watch for it starring on Turner Classic Movies next time they show "Roman Holiday" 

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 54 of 172 (1,416 Views)

Bet it was cool when the song came on the radio.

I know what you mean about amazing how we survived. 

Wendi51 wrote:
My first car was a beautiful Emerald Green 1966 GTO Convertable. I paid $600.00 for it, I loved that car & wished Id never sold it. But I also have to say it was the kind of car no 16yr old should ever own let alone drive. The crazy things we did while driving that car, its amazing any of my friends & myself lived to tell about it. I still dream of someday owning another "66" GTO, no other car like it. It was a true Muscle Car & my 16yr old lead foot took full advantage of all that power. I sold it for $900.00, now its worth thousands. But for me its not about the money. I just loved the freedom I felt driving that car.

A few of my friends didnt, though. 

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: First car1932 B FORD coupe

Message 55 of 172 (1,390 Views)

My father bought the car for $75 dollars.From a farm who used to herd the cows to the barn. Of course needed some T.L.C.I serviced the car. Drove it for a year, went into the servce. My father sold it to two milatry guys. They Lowered the roof, took off the fenders and made a
"Hot Rod" out of it."Sad" They had to do that! Life goes on.

Conversationalist

Message 56 of 172 (1,299 Views)
My first car was a beautiful Emerald Green 1966 GTO Convertable. I paid $600.00 for it, I loved that car & wished Id never sold it. But I also have to say it was the kind of car no 16yr old should ever own let alone drive. The crazy things we did while driving that car, its amazing any of my friends & myself lived to tell about it. I still dream of someday owning another "66" GTO, no other car like it. It was a true Muscle Car & my 16yr old lead foot took full advantage of all that power. I sold it for $900.00, now its worth thousands. But for me its not about the money. I just loved the freedom I felt driving that car.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 57 of 172 (1,286 Views)

JeanieD0625 wrote:

A 1963 Corvair convertible...Of course it was used when I bought it but I loved it!

I had a Corvair too.  It might have been a '63 but not a convertible.  I bought it from a girl at work who had heard all the bad things being said about them.  I was tired of driving the big Pontiac that I'd gotten from my father that was also a gas guzzler (even though gas was really cheap compared to now) but I wanted a little car.  I loved that little car and drove it until 1975 when it developed a leak inside the car and when it rained the floor board got wet.  One winter morning the water froze and I slipped getting into the car.  The mechanic was unable to find the leak and I had to face it was time to get another car.  I would have gotten another Corvair if they had still made them.  Instead I got a Vega which was a BIG mistake.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 58 of 172 (1,279 Views)

Camaros also

BlueSky90 wrote:

Just looked at some new Mustangs.  Sticker shock!  $42K for a Mustang?  I couldn't get over it!  Love the car but I can buy a lot of new, better and safer cars for that price. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 59 of 172 (1,275 Views)

Just looked at some new Mustangs.  Sticker shock!  $42K for a Mustang?  I couldn't get over it!  Love the car but I can buy a lot of new, better and safer cars for that price. 

Conversationalist

Message 60 of 172 (1,287 Views)
My parents bought me a new, two-door, dark blue American Rambler in 1966. I used that car throughout high school, undergraduate then grad school. When I married in 1976, I drove it from Ohio to Vancouver, British Columbia. When my husband was transferred to the far north of B.C., near the Yukon border, we had the Rambler trucked up there. I had to have a Caterpillar battery installed so it would start in minus 35-degree temperatures. I taught my husband to drive using that car, and after the birth of my daughter, I needed a four-door car. It was a difficult decision, but I sold it to some of my Vietnamese "boat people" students so they could all use it to get their driver's licenses. It was such a sturdy, economical car. I wish I could get another one!