ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Ever weary in well doing? Why or why not?

Message 1 of 3

al1168 wrote:

I'm very giving and caring. I often take others in who are homeless and down on their luck. I get used but, my big heart can't deny another whether it's clothes, food or a place to stay. 

It is not always a big heart that drives people to do for others beyond what is best for themselves.  Some people have a need to be needed beyond what is healthy for them.   I have a friend who did the same as you until a homeless woman took her last $20 out of her wallet and left her home open. 

I am not criticizing what you do but rather suggesting that there always needs to be a line.  If you are feeling taken advantage of or think you are crossing that line, seek advice.  Talk to someone at a local charity office. They might help.  Or if you are fine with what you are doing, go on with what you are doing.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Ever weary in well doing? Why or why not?

Message 2 of 3

@al1168 Hello, and welcome to the forums.

It is one thing to have a soft heart, another to let others walk on you. I used to run the food bank for my church, so believe me, I've seen some serious need. I've also seen some serious scammers. That volunteer job taught me about maintaining boundaries. 

Each of us has a different gift to offer. I found that maintaining boundaries allows me to offer what gifts I have without growing weary.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist

Ever weary in well doing? Why or why not?

Message 3 of 3

I'm very giving and caring. I often take others in who are homeless and down on their luck. I get used but, my big heart can't deny another whether it's clothes, food or a place to stay.