Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Super Social Butterfly

Re: Do you wear green on St. Patricks Day?

Message 41 of 46 (717 Views)

No I don’t wear green unless by accident I’ve got something green on that day.

I can tell you firsthand they do celebrate St. Paddy’s day in a big way in Dublin. Actually several days of celebration. People line the parade route and side streets 10 people deep for a uniquely colorful Parade full of leprechauns, shamrocks and other Irish lore. Lots of historical pubs with great Irish food and pints to help the celebration. Ireland ranks in the top 3 places I’ve visited in this world. I hope to go back again someday and kiss the blarney stone one more time.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 42 of 46 (687 Views)

Oh, of course I wear green! If you knew my last name as some of you do, you'd know that I married an Irishman and my own father's family can trace its roots back to the auld sod, too.

My dad's family came from County Armagh which is in northern Ireland, but I like (and look better in) green than orange.Cat LOL My best friend used to get so mad at me when we were young because I wore the green and not the "Presbyterian" orange.

And, yes, Mimi, Americans seem to go all out for St. Patrick's Day more so than the people in Ireland.

I used to make Irish soda bread and Irish potato candy every year, but haven't done that in a while. Erin go Braugh! N.

Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,567

Message 43 of 46 (583 Views)

I think that, here in America, we may get more into the spirit than our counterparts across the Atlantic!  Even those in the Emerald Isle!  The story is charming and we love to celebrate old traditions, especially those which involve food and drink and a lot of good-natured joking and camaraderie.  It's a permission slip to have a good time!  Oh yes, I'll wear green, thanks, and partake in all the fun!

March 17 is the feast day of St. Patrick.  He was an Irish Catholic saint, who was actually born in Britain when the Romans still occupied it.  He was brought to Ireland after being kidnapped by Irish pirates.  He eventually made his way back to Britain.  Later, he had a vision that led to his study for the priesthood and his return to Ireland.  The shamrock connection came about because he used shamrocks to teach the concept of the Trinity.  

(Disclaimer:  I am not Catholic myself.  One of my brothers married into a devout Irish Catholic family.  His sister-in-law was a nun and a distant relative in the family was declared a saint.  I learned a lot from attending various church-related family celebrations with his in-laws and the parish priest was a regular guest in their home.)

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 44 of 46 (555 Views)

Dad dressed us in orange every St. Pat's Day. Scotch/Irish who are Protestants wear orange on St. Pat's. (This was the one day a year Dad copped to a wee bit o'Irish blood. The rest of the year we were Highlanders.)((Yes, my father had his issues.)) Smiley Happy

More on the colors of St Patrick's Day here: http://mic.com/articles/138159/on-st-patrick-s-day-why-do-some-people-wear-orange-instead-of-green#....

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 45 of 46 (535 Views)

@AARPTeri - I never heard that folk tale about green, but I try to wear it on St. Patrick's Day! I live on the Jersey shore in an area with a high Irish population, and Belmar paints the stripe down the middle of Main Street green, for their parade. This may be one of few counties, where Irish history & Gaelic are popular continuing education courses at the community college!

I think that Spring Lake was known as the "Irish Riviera", for the wealthy families on the Philadelphia Main Line .. like Grace Kelly's family.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Community Manager

Do you wear green on St. Patricks Day?

Message 46 of 46 (329 Views)

Irish or not Irish - many wear green on St. Patrick's Day - do you?  Did you know the old lore that revelers thought wearing green made one invisible to leprechauns, fairy creatures who would pinch anyone they could see and that is how pinching those not in green came to be?

AARPTeri