AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Info Seeker

Re: Do you wear green on St. Patricks Day?

Message 31 of 46 (975 Views)

No, I am wearing ORANGE!  My ancestors came to this country from Northern Ireland and were staunch Presbyterians. It is the same for both my parents' families.  Originally from Essex and York in England, they fled to Norther Ireland during the reign of "Bloody" Mary Tudor.  It is all in good fun and after all, St. Patrick was a Romano-Brit!

Info Seeker

Message 32 of 46 (905 Views)
Yes, I wear green. This was my husbands Birthday, so I will always wear green on this day for him.
Conversationalist

Message 33 of 46 (942 Views)

My Mom used to descibe her Mom as saying (when she was asked about her ethnic heritage) that she was as 'Irish as Patty's Pig'. And, I am Scots-Irish on my Dad's side. Plus, I graduated from Notre Dame. I mean, duh ... do I really have a choice?! Erin go braugh!

Highlighted
Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,586

Message 34 of 46 (843 Views)

rbelaski wrote:

Being that my birthday falls on this day, I have always worn green.  My mom would always buy me an outfit with green in it and I would find it hanging in my room when I woke up.  Miss those days.

@rbelaski  Well, congratulations on your birthday and on your first post to the AARP Discussion Community!  I will be putting on my green in a few minutes before I go out to run some errands!  ☘️☘️☘️

saint patricks day Pot of Gold Rainbow 1 clip art

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 46 (861 Views)

Being that my birthday falls on this day, I have always worn green.  My mom would always buy me an outfit with green in it and I would find it hanging in my room when I woke up.  Miss those days.

Topics: 1,076
Kudos: 11,839

Message 36 of 46 (923 Views)

Never heard of the "invisible" thing either.  Interesting. Yes I usually wear some green and we usually decorTe our offices and work cubes!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 46 (848 Views)

Epster wrote:

Dad dressed us in orange every St. Pat's Day. Scotch/Irish who are Protestants wear orange on St. Pat's. (This was the one day a year Dad copped to a wee bit o'Irish blood. The rest of the year we were Highlanders.)((Yes, my father had his issues.)) Smiley Happy

More on the colors of St Patrick's Day here: http://mic.com/articles/138159/on-st-patrick-s-day-why-do-some-people-wear-orange-instead-of-green#....

This is very interesting.  I never heard this about the orange but orange and green are two of my favorite colors to wear so it's a pretty safe bet that I will be wearing one or the other of them on St. Patrick's Day whether I plan to or not.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 38 of 46 (813 Views)

@Prosecco6247 

Actually that’s what we had read too that St Patrick’s Day is celebrated a little more enthusiastically in the US. But our first day/night stay which happened to be March 17 in an old Irish church now called the O’Callaghan Davenport Hotel was a short half a mile walk to the parade route. We found a place to stand on one of the side streets with about 5 rows of people in front of us and as many rows behind us. I remember the tall floats and young people who climbed the light poles and signage to get a better look. Lots of the businesses were closed including the brewery Guinness. I just figured it was like a national holiday to them. People are wonderful there I hope you get the chance to visit soon.

Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,586

[ Edited ]
Message 39 of 46 (778 Views)

@ReTiReD51, Thanks for your first-hand knowledge...always good to know.  My comment that we may celebrate a little more enthusiastically was based on some travel blogs I have been reading lately.  I have been researching trips to the UK for the past year or so and picked up that idea from comments I've read.  Haven't decided on an itinerary yet...I just want to go back myself!

That sounds like some kind of party in Dublin!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 40 of 46 (805 Views)

catwoman500 wrote:

My dad's family came from County Armagh which is in northern Ireland, but I like (and look better in) green than orange.Cat LOL My best friend used to get so mad at me when we were young because I wore the green and not the "Presbyterian" orange.

@catwoman500 Orange does take some getting used to. I look back at the photos of me and my sisters dressed in orange and recall all the comments about how that was a perfect color for redheads ... and have to politely disagree.  Smiley Happy Nevertheless, I'm all in: I even have an orange Jeep. Now the hair is white, the orange goes better. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving