AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Conversationalist

Re: Do you make your bed?

Message 1 of 8 (58 Views)

I make my bed everyday!!  As soon as I get up unless my hubby sleeps in, then I make it as soon as he is up.  When I was a teenager I never made my bed at all. I fought to have both bottom and top sheets.  But I didn't make my bed!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 8 (84 Views)

Well, here's a six year old article referencing the dust mite issue...sort of difficult to draw a firm conclusion from the information contained within it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/health/05patient.html

I am a believer in dust mite allergies...I have a lot of allergies and insect saliva is one of them.  Fleas create huge welts on my skin that take weeks & weeks to heal.  I suppose dust mites don't bite because they munch on the skin cells one has already shed...whatever! Yuck!

I have used protective covers on my mattresses and pillows for many years.  Land's End sells some cloth ones that are tightly woven and waterproof so I don't have to deal with the sound & discomfort of rustling plastic.  I remember once, we were renting a cabin in the NH mountains, where I was up all night scratching & itching & sneezing.  I had little dots on my skin.  Finally, my husband & I traded beds with my daughter who didn't have allergies and...blessed relief!  I'm also allergic to down...it's the foreign protein that's the culprit!

I also live in a very humid climate...from late spring to mid-October...so I'm guessing the beds in my home are vulnerable to dust mites but I follow the recommendations for hot-water washing, etc.  I use comforters and matching shams, so pulling things tight & straightening them is all I do when it comes to making the bed...still, being retired, living alone and having bedrooms upstairs allows me a certain amount of lax behavior if I start the day running!  I don't beat myself up over not making the bed!  I make it probably 75-80% of the time.  No guilt!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 8 (100 Views)

I do make my bed every day. When I first get up, I pull the covers way down. Then I get my coffee. After coffee I do my stretching exercises on the bed, brush my teeth, and then come back to make the bed. So, I figure it gets aired and then looks neat. N.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 8 (143 Views)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgzLzbd-zT4

There were days when you had better make your bed, huh.
I make it but don’t care if a quarter can bounce off of it or not.
Being retired I’ve got plenty of time throughout the day to make it.
No excuse for me.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 8 (157 Views)

Yeah, I make my bed and lie in it......

Now, for the domestic kind. Not a chance. I don't know about health or accomplishment, but it makes me a bad housekeeper.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 8 (173 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

I honestly can't imagine why it would be better for your health not to make your bed, although airing it out for a while, probably is a good idea.

When I was working, and out of the house at 5:30 AM, I'm not sure I made my bed every day. Now that I have the time, I do it every day except if I'm sick (very infrequently).

Maybe it's worth defining what "make your bed" means to each of us. I have a pretty quilt cover, so I just straighten that out, with matching pillows against the headboard. I don't have an extra bedspread, or additional pillows just for the effect, to fuss with.

A recent article said that leaving the covers down allows mites to dry out and die.  True ??  My grand mother always said to leave the covers down but I make my bed every day. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8 (189 Views)

I honestly can't imagine why it would be better for your health not to make your bed, although airing it out for a while, probably is a good idea.

When I was working, and out of the house at 5:30 AM, I'm not sure I made my bed every day. Now that I have the time, I do it every day except if I'm sick (very infrequently).

Maybe it's worth defining what "make your bed" means to each of us. I have a pretty quilt cover, so I just straighten that out, with matching pillows against the headboard. I don't have an extra bedspread, or additional pillows just for the effect, to fuss with.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Highlighted
Community Manager

Do you make your bed?

Message 8 of 8 (198 Views)

There are studies out that say it is better for your health not to and studies that say it begins your day with an accomplishment which will lead to more.  I make my bed 70% of the time, how about you?

AARPTeri