Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Do you have a memorable teacher from your past?

Message 1 of 8

He was my high school senior year English teacher, also the Principal. I spent some class days correcting tests. He said I  didn't need what he was teaching; I already knew it. Really wanted me to go to college, try for scholarships--anything. But my father demanded board money from a full-time job. I later got an Associate's Degree at night. Never finished college; marriage and motherhood got in the way. We made sure our children had the opportunities I was denied. I'll never forget him.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 8

Richard Kampka.  Humanities, York High School, Elmhurst Il.  We couldn't have been more different.

I was the high school age child of a staunch conservative family, but I was rebelling, as were a lot of us in 1970, facing Vietnam.  I took Humanities because the course had a reputation for music appreaction, and I was in a rock'n'roll band.  I was very right brained, literal.  Richard Kampka introduced me to the left brained, creative, abstract train of thought.  Thank you Richard.  You taught me that not all is known, we need to listen to our feelings.  Keep an open mind.  You probably impacted my development more than any other teacher.

Marty      

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 8

@PattyDiane Thanks for sharing that story. It was the ones the made us reach --I sometimes think of this as having something to push against-- that make us better, isn't it?

Huzzbah to you for those earned As!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 8

Mine was my 9th grade General Science teacher.  He was an odd looking man with a head that appeared too large for his body and was a perfect egg shape.  Also he wore thick glasses that made his eyes look too large for his already large head.

I remember the first day of class when he walked through the door of the room after everyone was seated.  He stood and looked over at the class from the doorway and then did a very strange thing.  He pulled the collar of his jacket closed to cover his shirt and tie.  When he reached his desk he asked if anybody could tell him the color of his tie.  There were no hands raised.  He told us we had just failed for the day.  Then he added that we might as well get accusomed to the idea that there would be no A's given for his class.

That came as a great shock to many of us.  There wasn't such a thing as "AP' classes in those days but this class held a lot of smart kids who were used to making lots of A's.  In the following days we made it a point to notice the color of his tie, and his shirt, and his shoes.

Until Mr. Pickens' class I'd never really studied.  I made A's and B's without the need.  But I was determined I was going to make an A in his class.  We learned that he was true to his word.  He didn't "give" A's but we got them if we earned them.  I got through the year with 2 A's and 2 A+'s and I learned how to study in his class.

Years later I learned that he had committed suicide after being fired when the news got out that he was gay.  I consider that one of the saddest things I've ever known.  It was such a terrible waste for such a good teacher.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 8

Mine was a Chemistry teacher who tutored some of us struggling students  at his home on Tuesday nights (free).  I didn't understand why I was so bad at Chemistry until years later when I discoveredI had dyslexia.  With his help I pass with an 84 on the final exam.  He was a patient saint.  Kudos to all teachers.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 8

My fifth grade teacher, Mr Hall. I was his student teacher, so got to know him well. He called me George, as in Curious. I think his biggest contribution was to teach me to believe in myself. One time I blew a few questions on a history exam. He took me aside, asked me the missed questions one by one, and I answered them correctly. Discussion revealed that my first answer (in my head) was the correct one, but that I second guessed myself and selected incorrect answers. I still got a C on that exam, but learned to trust my gut, to listen to my inner voice. I made straight As from then on.

PS @AARPTeri The thing I remember most from French class (6th, 7th & 8th grades) was that I never got to change my name, as did all the other students, for my Christian name was a French name. That kinda irked me. I wanted to try on a new nom.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8

I had a later-in-life teacher. I went to a CC at night in order to get a business degree (two-year certificate) in business while changing careers.

I took several accounting classes. My instructor, for two of those classes, was very similar to Professor Kingsfield (John Houseman) in the film, The Paper Chase. One had to be totally prepared to show up for class. All homework done, and all accounting principles that applied to the homework, understood. We were referred to as 'Mr' and 'Ms', and were called upon, seemingly at random, to answer questions and explain how we derived the answer (often involving "T-accounts", for those of you with an accounting background).

Some of the best classes I ever had. Served me well after changing careers to an application programmer often dealing with number crunchers (and I married one).

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Do you have a memorable teacher from your past?

Message 8 of 8

Do you have a teacher's who had a big impact on your education or childhood?  I had one year of French in middle school but can remember a great deal that I learned in that class.  It wasn't until much later that I realized Mademoiselle Mims was a great teacher.

AARPTeri