Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Do you agree that choice of car changes as you age?

Message 1 of 29 (105 Views)

It has changed over the years, but has nothing to do with my age, but rather with the number of pets I would need to evacuate in case of forest fire.  Live in the forested mtns of Northern NM where a fire is a matter of when, not if.  Also, need 4x4 for winter driving.  Had a 2004 And 2010 Ford Escapes, but when It came time to replace the 2010, i Found the new Escapes too small For my 2 dogs,2cats,2 parrots and a tub of "irreplaceables." Bought a 2016 Ford Edge and find it theperfect size And very comfortable and fun to drive.  By the time it needs To be replaced, i am Hoping to be able to downsize

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 29 (698 Views)

Sure.  I love Uber!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 29 (704 Views)

I changed from fast, monster gas-guzzlers to small, fast hatchbacks. I still have the need for speed.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 29 (977 Views)

It did change for me. Like others here I'm an SUV fan. Our two cars were running fine but the Hyundai SUV was ready for a replacement. I decided to get a more luxury model and did a lot of research and test-driving. I do almost all the driving in our household.

I finally chose the 2017 Ford Edge Sport. Wider than I wanted, but I needed the extra length as the Hyundai was just a little too short when traveling with our friends. Not perfect but only a couple of minor annoyances. I prioritized what was important to me and it had everything on the "A-level" list.

I like the new safety features and we ordered the car from the factory. Took about 8 weeks. Very happy with it.

Regular Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 29 (980 Views)

k968633dCheck out the Mazda 3. Very high "fun to drive" factor and overall a very good car.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 29 (1,160 Views)

Well lets see. I bought my first convertable in 1965 when I was 18 & my first SUV in 1975. I still have one of each. So much for change.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 29 (1,187 Views)
Absolutely. I want a durable and economical car that looks great.
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 29 (1,205 Views)

To Budbilt: I don't know what your budget is, but I think you should test a VW Jetta, especially if you were to stumble onto a GLI. Check out a Golf GTI as well. Only you would know if these cars satisfy all your needs. For a little more luxury, try an Audi S4. If within your budget, try the new Civic Si or Civic R.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 29 (1,246 Views)
I currently own a Dodge Neon with the handling package. I'm looking to replace it but want something that handles well but American cars don't offer a handling package except on high end cars that I can't afford so I'm looking at used Mercedes and Volvos.
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 29 (2,214 Views)

I retired last year at 55 and replaced my 15 year old Dodge Stratus (which was preceded by a Dodge Spirit) with a Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Sport.  I've loved exploring the SW and knew that I'd now have more time to explore the backroads and hit sites off the beaten path - thus the Jeep with the backroad upgrades.  So the choice was more about how I'd be using it than about age per se.

Turns out it's a lot easier for me to get in and out of as the seat is much higher - I'm a big 6'4".  That ease of entry is something I'll keep in mind with future vehicle purchase.

Most of the electronics don't do anything for me.  I like my SD card's music and listen to the radio now and then, but still look over my shoulder when backing up even when I check the rear camera.  I didn't have the dealer enable anything else.

Re the discussion about chips and repairs...  I don't know what effect chips have on repair rates and costs.  But I do appreciate some of the simplicity that's been lost over the years.  Back in '88 a rock bounced from a truck into one of my headlights while I was on vacation.  I had never repaired anything on a car before, but stopped at Kmart where I bought a replacement headlight and some tools and replaced it myself.

Today, with all the info the car displays for me in mind, I just wish someone would improve the "Check Engine" light so that it displays the actual code