Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

TWC
Info Seeker

Re: DNA testing

Message 41 of 61 (1,278 Views)

Just my point of view - I am American and could care less where my ancestors came from. Even if these tests could tell me where my DNA came from, my soul is with Jesus and my love is with my family and fellow Americans.

Conversationalist

Message 42 of 61 (1,378 Views)

I wanted to do the National Geographic one, but it is so expensive.  I have done the Ancestry one and got a couple of surprises.  I wonder what the difference is?

Info Seeker

Message 43 of 61 (1,450 Views)

I was thinking about using Ancestor.com and would like to know why you feel it would be a waste of money. Because I am on a tight budget but if this can give you the right information then I feel it would be worth it. So please share why it would be a waste of money. 

Info Seeker

Message 44 of 61 (1,418 Views)
I totally agree with you about those Mormons. I moved to Utah and they brought over food and introduced themselves (what's up with that). I mean there were like 6 different families that did this. I told them that I wasn't buying anything. They continue to be nice and wave at me all the time. My neighbor asked if I want to borrow his lawn mower (mine's a pos). It has been almost a year and I am still waiting for reason. I think they are waiting for my girls to grow up so that they can steal them. NO WAIT. It wasn't Utah or the Mormons, it was South Carolina and the Protestants..... NO WAIT. It was in New Mexico and the aliens. LOL. Does paranoia run in your DNA? Love You.
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 45 of 61 (1,306 Views)

Bettyd22 wrote:

I had my DNA tested by Ancestry.com.  The results came back incorrect. It was just money wasted. 

@Bettyd22  Just curious to understand how you knew it was incorrect and what was your proof of that?

Can you explain for the rest of us who may be interested in the services of some of the DNA identity providers?  It's a lot of money to waste for an incorrect analysis.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Conversationalist

Message 46 of 61 (1,290 Views)

I did the DNA testing by National Geographic which doesn't help in finding your ancestors but does help in knowing where your genetic type comes from. I already knew both sets of grandparents come from various points in Southern Italy. This test not only verified it but showed me how and where the genetic traits migrated to area. As far as tracing my family goes, all I am interested in now, is when and how they got here to USA and how the family spread out. I am glad I didn't do the kit form Ancestry.com after reviewing the comments as they won't have any information for me.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 47 of 61 (1,306 Views)

nkozub wrote:

I agree with you 100%.  This is a very slippery slope!  Ancestery is also something that the Mormons seem to be dabbling in.  WHY?  I know where half my family comes from and if it is also from another area, so what??  What difference does it make??  I can see someone adopted may be interested, but really, it makes little difference in life where your family originated or what line it followed!  No future benefits!  Just a waste of time and money. When the Ancestry web site came out, I followed it to UTAH, home of the Mormon religion.  Whoever owns this, is very likely Mormon and I do not want my family tree exploited by that religion!  The DNA is an offshoot from that!  Knowing the Mormon church, there is an ulteriour motive yet to be seen.  

@nkozub  

"One of the core tenets of Mormon faith is that the dead can be baptized into the faith after their passing. Baptism of the dead evolved from the beliefs that baptism is necessary for salvation and that the family unit can continue to exist together beyond mortal life if all members are baptized.

Mormons trace their family trees to find the names of ancestors who died without learning about the restored Mormon Gospel so that these relatives from past generations can be baptized by proxy in the temple. For Latter-day Saints, genealogy is a way to save more souls and strengthen the eternal family unit."  

Read more here:  http://www.pbs.org/mormons/etc/genealogy.html

Genealogy can be a very rewarding hobby for many people.  Knowing one's DNA is also helpful in correctly following clues to one's ancestral lines.  It can easily eliminate "red herrings" that are sometimes passed down in family lore.  It can also put a researcher onto a line not previously known, thereby creating that wonderful "Aha" moment that is a researcher's greatest reward.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 48 of 61 (1,423 Views)

I agree with you 100%.  This is a very slippery slope!  Ancestery is also something that the Mormons seem to be dabbling in.  WHY?  I know where half my family comes from and if it is also from another area, so what??  What difference does it make??  I can see someone adopted may be interested, but really, it makes little difference in life where your family originated or what line it followed!  No future benefits!  Just a waste of time and money. When the Ancestry web site came out, I followed it to UTAH, home of the Mormon religion.  Whoever owns this, is very likely Mormon and I do not want my family tree exploited by that religion!  The DNA is an offshoot from that!  Knowing the Mormon church, there is an ulteriour motive yet to be seen.  

Info Seeker

Message 49 of 61 (1,484 Views)

I had my DNA tested by Ancestry.com.  The results came back incorrect. It was just money wasted. 

Info Seeker

Message 50 of 61 (1,679 Views)

Your reluctance to voluntarily have your DNA tested is valid but maybe meaningless. Your DNA can and may be harvested everytime you provide a blood or urine sample. Everytime you use a glass or straw to drink, if you smoke or vape, get your hair cut, trim your fingernails, sneeze or blow your nose you leave behind a usable DNA sample. Daily life leaves an abundant trail of DNA. As to screening by insurers; it is currently in use in the same manner they test for drug usage or run your finger prints.