Senate Voting on Bad Health Care Bill Tomorrow! Watch Facebook Live at 9:30 a.m. ET for the Latest

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: DNA testing

Message 1 of 61 (402 Views)

I discovered yesterday that 23andme has added yet another feature, this one also under 'reports'.

Your DNA Family

Learn about your DNA Relatives, the diverse group of 23andMe customers who have DNA in common with you. Only individuals who have chosen to participate in DNA Relatives are the subject of this report.

One part of this new feature is that you can map your DNA relatives (as known by 23andme, and who are participating in the DNA relatives portion of the offerings) We might deduce by the map below that there is little Marco Polo DNA in my family. Smiley Happy We show up in 4 countries only. (Remember this is a dinky sample size, so don't go writing any term papers on this data, OK?) 

DNA relatives map.png

The added information includes a run-down of personality traits of my DNA relatives within the 23andme sample. (We are 67% less likely to have skydived and 30% more likely to have red body or facial hair) The new information is, I think, more amusing than informative. Still, it's good to have more data for the price of a spit test. Smiley Wink

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 61 (499 Views)

MaVolta wrote:

The health reports are a "nice to have" addition. I haven't seen that in any of the other tests, although Ancestry is now taking Beta participants for something similar. It's offered as optional, as the privacy clause states that info may be shared with 3rd parties, and that data may be used by insurance companies. In other words, they are not making any guarantees to privacy if you choose to participate in the program. 

Re: Neanderthal markers - National Geo explains that they use a "sophisticated analytical method" of Hominin DNA parts and regional ancestry DNA components; the science is new and that the calculation may change over time. The average participant in their studies is 1.3% Neanderthal.

@MaVolta 23andme doesn't do the math for you, they just say you have 'less than 4%' Neanderthal. Smiley Happy What this emerging science may one day tell us about these markers, we can only guess, though I do understand from reading I did a number of months back on the 23andme site that more Neanderthal markers may mean lesser health. 

On those insurance worries: oh I hear ya! As posted earlier, 23andme's privacy policy currently states that they will not share with 3rd parties without your express permission, and they currently have an opt out ... but as we've seen with Google, Facebook and Twitter, today's data miners have no qualms with bait and switch tactics. Today's opt out may be obsoleted in tomorrow's policy update.

For now I'm not worried in part because the sampling sizes are minuscule, so this data mass currently has scant value on the open market. That may change, of course. What may also change is that these variant tests done by 23andme have yet to finger health risk markers in my DNA. So far, so good. Like I said, this too, may change. 

I have a slogan suggestion for any of the DNA testing companies, though: It's good. It's bad. It may get ugly. And for the jingle? Mwwaaahahahahahahah!

Maybe I should trademark that. Smiley Wink

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 61 (505 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...the average participant in their studies is 1.3% Neanderthal....".

Some of the posters on the political threads clearly have a higher percentage..........

@retiredtraveler - Too funny!!! Woman LOL

Message 4 of 61 (516 Views)

@retiredtraveler Hee hee ... this of course draws into question the very idea that I have fewer Neanderthal variants than the 'normal' 23andme customer. Smiley Happy

@MaVolta I'm only able this morning to offer top of ye olde noggin responses, so want to wait to respond to you. Smiley Happy OK?

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 61 (521 Views)

"...the average participant in their studies is 1.3% Neanderthal....".

Some of the posters on the political threads clearly have a higher percentage..........

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 61 (542 Views)

Epster wrote: 

About those Neanderthal markers (variants), they said I have 269 Neanderthal variants, which is less than what 64% of 23andme customers have (a useless observation without more data, to be sure Smiley Happy).

These 5 additional health reports are just in, I discovered when I logged into my acct:

(There are 76 report in all --to date-- covering everything from being able to smell certain things and having attached earlobes to certain disease carrier status.)

@Epster - The health reports are a "nice to have" addition. I haven't seen that in any of the other tests, although Ancestry is now taking Beta participants for something similar. It's offered as optional, as the privacy clause states that info may be shared with 3rd parties, and that data may be used by insurance companies. In other words, they are not making any guarantees to privacy if you choose to participate in the program. 

Re: Neanderthal markers - National Geo explains that they use a "sophisticated analytical method" of Hominin DNA parts and regional ancestry DNA components; the science is new and that the calculation may change over time. The average participant in their studies is 1.3% Neanderthal.

Message 7 of 61 (581 Views)

MaVolta wrote:

It also provides females with their maternal haplo group. But males will get both paternal and maternal haplo groups. Your haplo group will provide branches that show migrations from 1000 to 100,000 years ago.

@MaVolta The migration maps are indeed fascinating.

I was able to get my paternal haplogroup by way of a half brother sharing the same father. His paternal haplogroup is the same as mine.

The test of any close male relative on your paternal side can get your paternal group. 

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 61 (583 Views)

@Epster - Results are in from National Geo (Geno 2.0 Next Generation test). The results are not too surprising, but it is interesting how they map out the migration routes of ancient ancestors. 

Regional breakdown: NW Europe 37%, Eastern Europe 35%, SW Europe 26%, NE Europe 2%, with German and French being the two closest modern day reference populations. It's what one might expect whose near ancestry migrated from Ireland/British Isles with all those Saxons, Vikings and Celts, as well as France and Germany.

It also provides females with their maternal haplo group. But males will get both paternal and maternal haplo groups. Your haplo group will provide branches that show migrations from 1000 to 100,000 years ago. Then finally, the test will tell you if you have any Neanderthal ancestry. It is fairly common to find 1.0 to 2.0% in people with European ancestry. Check.

@MaVolta Thanks for the update.

Oh goodie! Sounds like the Nat'l Geo service is good and thorough. Yay!  Also sounds like a pretty solid mirror of the 23andme service. (For less, right? I think we paid $189 each)

About those Neanderthal markers (variants), they said I have 269 Neanderthal variants, which is less than what 64% of 23andme customers have (a useless observation without more data, to be sure Smiley Happy).

These 5 additional health reports are just in, I discovered when I logged into my acct:

latest 23andme health report results.png

Neanderthal & haplogroup.png

(There are 76 report in all --to date-- covering everything from being able to smell certain things and having attached earlobes to certain disease carrier status.)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 61 (588 Views)

Family Tree DNA also updated or recalibrated their database, so my results there changed quite a bit. They are partners with National Geo, so I wonder if that had something to do with it. I notice my new results are now a lot closer to the National Geo results than they are to Ancestry. (75% Western/Central Europe, 20% British Isles, 5% Scandinavian). It points out my Celtic origins with a tad of Viking.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 61 (591 Views)

Epster wrote:

MaVolta wrote:

I figure that by age 65, whatever the government wants to know about me, they already do or have access to. I'm not caving into this notion of paranoia, and it's not like I'm hiding anything. DNA testing is the least of my worries. It's just something to do for fun. All of the companies have privacy statements if you're so inclined to read all of the fine print.

I just ordered the test from National Geographic (currently on sale), which is different than Ancestry or 23andMe. It goes into the DNA of your deep ancestral routes. They have recently upgraded the kits to include more information and also some optional features. 

Agreed: much of my life has been lived out on the front page of the podunk news, so everything is already out there. Aintskeered, cuz I ain't hiding anything. (And yet I so love my privacy: go figure!) 

And to the DNA test: SQUEEEEEE! I'm excited to think that you might share your results and impressions about the Nat'l Geo test.  Smiley Happy

@Epster - Results are in from National Geo (Geno 2.0 Next Generation test). The results are not too surprising, but it is interesting how they map out the migration routes of ancient ancestors. 

Regional breakdown: NW Europe 37%, Eastern Europe 35%, SW Europe 26%, NE Europe 2%, with German and French being the two closest modern day reference populations. It's what one might expect whose near ancestry migrated from Ireland/British Isles with all those Saxons, Vikings and Celts, as well as France and Germany.

It also provides females with their maternal haplo group. But males will get both paternal and maternal haplo groups. Your haplo group will provide branches that show migrations from 1000 to 100,000 years ago. Then finally, the test will tell you if you have any Neanderthal ancestry. It is fairly common to find 1.0 to 2.0% in people with European ancestry. Check.