Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Alumni Involvement?

Message 1 of 8 (142 Views)

I've been to only one of my high school reunions and I think it was the 30th.  I remember when I heard about the first one held on the 10th anniversary.  As it happened I was a purchasing agent for our city hospital and a fellow graduate worked for a company who called on me and was also on the planning committee for the reunion.  He told me who was coming and the information they were giving.  None of the people I would have wanted to see were coming and it seemed most of the ones planning to attend were those who had gotten married right out of high school.  I was married, had a house and doing pretty well but didn't feel like I had much in common with those planning to attend.

By the time I heard about the 30th I was curious enough to attend.  I also heard that some of the people I'd actually known in high school were attending.  We were a class of over 400 and there was many in the class I didn't know.  It was interesting to see some of my classmates and I thought it funny that many people I had actually known failed to recognize me.  I changed a lot after high school, and for the better, I think.  A few people actually thought it was my husband, who was from Minnesota, who was their classmate.

By the time of our last reunion many of my classmates are on FB and I find that we still have very little in common.  

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 8 (155 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - I was in the 1st 4-year graduating class in my H.S., so there wasn't any alumni association for a while after I graduated. When they had a 1st reunion, I'd just gotten out of college & started working, and wasn't seeing anyone. I really didn't feel like going to a dinner dance geared towards the grads who'd gotten married right away, and wanted to show off their spouses! I moved out of state shortly after that, and since it was before pcs & the internet, I don't think the school or alumni assn did much to maintain/update their contact info. As my 40th anniversary approached, I began hunting online for the alumni assn, and was put on their database. I thought it was strange that when they had the reunion, it wasn't in the school or even nearby, but in another county of NYC .. so I didn't attend. Then in 2015, the school celebrated the 50th anniversary of the doors opening. They had an afternoon event in Brooklyn, and I decided to attend. I was surprised by a few things. One was that the 3-year grads who'd started as sophomores when the school opened, were there en mass; many had become teachers & were teaching at the same H.S. we attended. Yet the 4-year grads who'd started as freshmen (my class) were among the missing, with only 3 of us there .. and I didn't know the other 2 people because they weren't in the academic program. I was also surprised by how many of the attendees still lived within 10 miles of where we'd grown up & gone to H.S. .. but maybe those who'd moved away just didn't attend.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,563

Message 3 of 8 (185 Views)

I was fairly social both in high school and college.  I only attended 2 HS reunions and they were 30 years apart.  The first one was a bit awkward in some ways and fun in others.  The last one was 5 years ago and it was pretty much the same core group who attended...all of the women had beautiful dresses/gowns for the last evening's dinner/dance, I suspect that most were "recycled" from chidren's weddings!  Woman Wink  

We all fell into conversations, jokes, teasing as if our HS careers were yesterday.   I'd say it was a success.  There were probably about 12-15 out of a class of 151 who had passed away...many different causes, cancer being predominant, but at least one committed suicide a few years after graduation and he was a kid we all loved.  Others succumbed in Viet Nam, automobile and other accidents, a wife murdered by her husband when she was barely out of her 20's...so sad! 

I attended one HS reunion with my late husband in New England.  It was a small town and there were probably about 70-80 graduates.  It was a nice affair.  He had a good time but I think, like me, he felt his reunion was a little awkward.

I didn't attend any college reunions...no particular interest, however, I've attended multiple college reunions with my late husband where he was an undergrad and had a great time...every time!  He went to a small college in beautiful Vermont...(well, small when he was there!)  Those folks knew how to party...of course it was all so much tamer with each succeeding reunion!  Fall reunions & leaf-peeping...great memories!

I've also attended many reunions at the school where he earned his professional degree and they were always fun...football, tailgating, cocktail parties, formal dinner.  Beautiful college in a beautiful town.  What's not to like?  Before our own kids were in college, we spent most fall weekends at the football stadium since it was only an hour away.

I have to say, though, the most fun we had was during the time frame we put four children through college.  Going to visit them at their schools, football, basketball, sampling the local restaurants and getting to know the towns/cities on a more intimate level.  We had great fun with all of them on & off their campuses!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 4 of 8 (206 Views)

I hadn't thought to mention it before, but I was close to several college professors as well; not surprising in such a small, elite school. One retired only a few years after I graduated, and then I read of his passing; he taught the humanities & was wonderful! Another was never my professor, but was the faculty advisor for the school's Society of Women Engineers chapter. He was the young, hot professor, probably in his early 30s at the time. I was very sad to see that he passed away fairly recently .. but then again, that would have put him in his mid-70s, no longer the young guy in great shape. The classwork was very, very tough, but I have extremely fond memories of my classmates & at least some of the professors! Smiley Happy

Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 8 (209 Views)

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 6 of 8 (216 Views)

I went to college, and the engineering school was relatively small, graduating only about 100 students every year. Except for elective courses, each engineering specialty stayed together for common courses .. so over the 4 year period we became very close. The school also owned property in the exurbs outside NYC, where students could spend weekends in groups, in the old farm buildings .. more bonding.

So it really shocks me that after graduation most of us only kept in touch with our closest friends, and few people attended reunions. We were there during turbulent times in the early 1970s; nerdy engineers surrounded by the hippy atmosphere of the East Village .. maybe that made us closer, but then we went out into the real world of work & grew up .. and apart.

There was a big weekend event a couple of years ago, and I thought seriously about attending, but the way it was spread out between hotels & activities all over Manhattan .. leaving us to get from place to place on our own .. seemed very expensive & a huge waste of time.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8 (217 Views)

High school was an awful experience. College was pretty good. But I didn't experience much 'social aspect'. I worked full time in the summers, and worked part time during the rest of the year. And I spent a great deal of time studying or music practice. So, basically a lot of work.  Free time in the last year of college was spent with then girlfriend, now DW.

Never went to a reunion. No interest.  

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”

Alumni Involvement?

Message 8 of 8 (220 Views)

When you went to college (or if not, high school), did you enjoy the social aspect of the experience? Since you graduated (yes, many, many years ago), have you stayed in touch with classmates? Is there an alumni association, and are you active in it? When was the last reunion you attended .. did you recognize your classmates? If you're not active or didn't enjoy your most recent reunion .. why?