Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: 72-Year-Old Model Owned The Runway At London Fashion Week

[ Edited ]
Message 11 of 21 (207 Views)

catwoman500 wrote:

Hey, Everyone!

Uhh, I thought this thread was all about the fantastic older women who are still modeling? Good for them! Cat Wink

I enjoyed most of the posts and the articles. What a cool look at those women!

I'm thinking Christie Brinkley may be one of those we may see model well into her golden years. Oh, and Cindy Crawford? N.

@catwoman500

Well, I'm sorry to have caused confusion. 

My comments were in response to the thought that these senior models look gorgeous because they were blessed with bone structure and beauty.  I saw that as a slam to women of every shape and size. As if we are not all beautiful. And of course, being tall and thin is not always a great thing. 

FWIW in my 20s I did some studio modeling and have been considering an opportunity to model for a local magazine. Obviously I'm no Cindy Crawford. Nor am I Christie Brinkley.  I'm not sure I want to put myself back in the position of being judged for the superficial, so am taking my time on the decision. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,567

Message 12 of 21 (199 Views)

@catwoman500  I agree that Christie Brinkley and Cindy Crawford are probably going to enjoy long careers in the modeling industry and I say "Good for them!"  They are both excellent role models for women who are heading into their senior years.  I believe the modeling industry is waking up to the fact that the major buyers of women's couture, jewelry and beauty  products are not the cute young things who look so great on the pages of the fashion magazines, but it is their mothers and grandmothers and sometimes great-grandmothers who have the purchasing power.  What older woman wants to wear clothes that reflect an immature and unrefined sense of fashion?

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 21 (203 Views)

Hey, Everyone!

Uhh, I thought this thread was all about the fantastic older women who are still modeling? Good for them! Cat Wink

I enjoyed most of the posts and the articles. What a cool look at those women!

I'm thinking Christie Brinkley may be one of those we may see model well into her golden years. Oh, and Cindy Crawford? N.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 21 (241 Views)

Yes, Carmen is one gorgeous woman, and she likely will be the remains of her life. She was gifted with height and great bone structure. One can assume she has taken care of herself in order to become such a gorgeous representation of senior womanhood! So rah!

I cannot say what her teen years were like, but can tell you about a slice of mine: I was 5'9" in 6th grade, most of that legs. I was lean. Model lean. Each of my sisters were built like hourglasses; I was mocked at home for looking more like a straw. I was ridiculed by schoolmates all through school. They called me a boy. They said I looked like two boards stuck together. They called me Captain Hook (he also, they said, had a sunken chest); I was routinely serenaded with Hound Dog. I got beat up by boys and girls. My locker was vandalized. 

Perhaps needless to say, during my high school career, I had not one kiss and not one date. I was considered seriously ugly.

While I don't want to post a straight face shot (they say these can be used to impersonate you) this is a recent (very goofy) pic of me. As you can see, I've got what is considerd to be 'good' bone structure.

Back to HS: I was undernourished on the reservation. I had such low body fat that I was unable to muster puberty. Once at college (read: living on scholarship money) I was able to eat, and I finally developed the body of a woman. 

But getting there was a long painful slog through the hell of comparisons.

So believe me when I tell you that being tall and lithe is not always a great thing.  Don't buy into beauty as presented by the media and Hollywood. Each one of us can be beautiful, as beauty is an inside job. 

Love who you are.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 21 (287 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - Carmen definitely has bone structure to die for; look at her cheeks! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 16 of 21 (289 Views)

@ASTRAEA,   Sorry...just got back in from taking the doggies out, then had to feed them their dinners!  They're just like children...so loving, so sweet, but so dependent upon you for everything!   LOL!  I wouldn't trade them for anything!  They bring so much joy into my life!

Yes, I had a look at the link you provided and the woman looks very familiar!  She may be the one, but I'd have to hear her speak to be sure.  I wish I could think of where I saw the TV show and try to find it online.

Whatever, it's blindingly apparent that Carmen Dell' Orifice won the genetic lottery! She is absolutely stunning and would be at any age!  Would that I had been born with the genes for tall, lean and lithe!

No matter, I am comfortable in my own skin.  My life has been full, interesting and entertaining.  I have had attention from males throughout, I've made friendships with a wide variety of people and have close and fast friendships  with women I respect and admire and I have no doubt the feelings are reciprocated...the proof is that they have lasted through good times and bad.  A supportive circle of women friends is an absolute treasure and must be cherished for that very reason.  We must show compassion and a loving, forgiving heart in order to receive the same.  It's the common-sense system of ethical reciprocity we all crave but are sometimes loathe to admit.  Comparisons to one another be darned.  We are all beautiful in our own unique ways!  

The textbook version of beauty is really governed by ethnic preference, anyway!  Straight blonde hair and blue eyes are the epitome for some, close curls and caramel skin color are what others admire, some favor fair skin, freckled or not and red hair, while long, thin bodies, are desired by others.  Short squatty bodies, deep brown Nubian beauties strong hips, slim hips...it's all according to the values one grew up with.  Beauty reflects good health, excellent reproductive function, the ability to carry and bear healthy children, strong genes to carry one's line into infinity (whatever that turns out to be!) and usually, least of all, whatever beauty traits are pleasing to one's own eyes!

All good reasons to have a favorite "type" according to long-forgotten cultural norms and all good reasons to believe that there's someone out there for everyone!

Still, that being said, the admiration of uncommon beauty is a characteristic all cultures share and age has no place in determining what is beautiful and what is not!

Message 17 of 21 (295 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - Did you check out the link in my post about Carmen .. maybe she'll look familiar to you!

Message 18 of 21 (290 Views)

She's lovely!  Thoughtful and intelligent as well!

She reminds me of an older model I saw on a television show...perhaps Bravo or A&E late at night.  The show was about guests at a super-luxurious hotel that kept records on their guests and provided anything in their power to make the guests' stays the stuff of dreams...including painting, rearranging furniture and other structural changes.  Very expensive!  I cannot remember if it was in London or Paris, but I'm inclined to say London.

The vignette about the model showed her in her suite, preparing for a photo shoot, and she talked about her life as a model and how her career just continued.  I think she may have had a few cosmetic tweaks here & there, nothing really extreme.  She took very good care of herself and I have to say she was beautiful.  Age was no deterrent in her life and she was quite honest in her answers.  I wish I could think of her name.

It reinforced my own ideas about age and I found myself chuckling over our obsession with youth-worship...older men and women who take care of themselves (mentally as well as physically) are, in the main, very attractive to a wide swath of the world's population.  We, here in the US are not quite so taken with our elders who have aged well...we demand perfection in everything.  Europeans are much more likely to find age-related changes impart a certain character and authenticity to a person.  Asians, OTOH, frequently have unlined faces for many years but they revere older citizens for the wisdom they have acquired throughout their lifetimes.

Cultural concepts of beauty are so interesting!

Thanks for sharing!

Message 19 of 21 (289 Views)

Good for her .. she looks terrific! There's another American model who will be 86 in June, and looked fabulous in this 2014 article: Huffington Post: Carmen Dell'Orefice

But it's important to remember that these women had the genes & were beautiful enough to model when they were young, and are fortunate to have retained their looks.

Topics: 1,063
Kudos: 11,727

Message 20 of 21 (297 Views)

With the constant focus on youth in the fashion industry I thought this was a fun and interesting article!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith