Help AARP Foundation raise $125K by March 29 to fight hunger. Donate Now

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: 72-Year-Old Model Owned The Runway At London Fashion Week

Message 1 of 21 (163 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - Apology accepted!

@ASTRAEA Excellent.

We're also concerned for people's personal security, when they mention too much personal about themselves. You may have noticed posts where newbies introduce themselves, and include their entire real name, e-mail address and even a phone number, and someone else asks them to edit it out, to protect their privacy (even if they don't realize it's a bad idea to include contact info)

Oh yeah, I've seen identifying/contact data posted. But ... how is this that?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Good health neither comes cheap, nor is it easy.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 21 (177 Views)

@Epster - Apology accepted!

We're also concerned for people's personal security, when they mention too much personal about themselves. You may have noticed posts where newbies introduce themselves, and include their entire real name, e-mail address and even a phone number, and someone else asks them to edit it out, to protect their privacy (even if they don't realize it's a bad idea to include contact info)

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 21 (179 Views)

@Prosecco6247 @ASTRAEA @nyadrn

Wow. I am gobsmacked at these responses. Truly surprised. I am sorry that what I had to say was seen the way it was. My point in telling you my background was so that you would see what we all know: every life has its share of beauty and difficulty. No one is immune. Not the talented. Not the rich. Not the beautiful. Not me, not any of you. I sought only to remind women (not just you) that fashion's view of beauty is about serving that industry.

My main message was and remains: love yourself.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Good health neither comes cheap, nor is it easy.
Topics: 1,030
Kudos: 11,448

Message 4 of 21 (195 Views)

Prosecco6247 wrote:

@Epster  I appreciate your input but I believe that most of the responses were were focused on celebrating beauty in all it's forms and being happy that the fashion industry is becoming more inclusive.  It finally started including ethnic women as fashion models but "age-ism" prevented the hiring of older women for runway shows or fashion shoots. 

Who among us hasn't made a comment about, "Does my butt look too big in this?" or "I wish my boobs were bigger/smaller!" or "I hate my hair!"

Certainly we can admire beautiful women who exhibit characteristics unlike those we were born with and sigh...wishing that the elusive elements of creating the "perfect look" were within our grasp.  There's just one thing...those women don't always look so wonderful all of the time, either!  

Our lives provide us with magical tool kits to work on our perceived "flaws" and most of us usually open them up and set to work.  Tool number one is a positive attitude in the face of adversity.  Next is acceptance of ourselves and those things we cannot change. and the ability to "erase" the negative tapes from childhood teasing (and yes, sometimes abuse) that run through our heads. Third is a willingness to work with what we have instead of believing that there's only one standard of beauty.  Fourth is putting a smile on our faces whenever we go out to greet the world...by far, the fastest beauty hack there is!  Fifth is approaching the world and everyone in it with a loving and forgiving attitude...especially towards oneself.  It's a great wrinkle preventer!

If you use that tool kit every day, you will forget about your perceived flaws and be better able to appreciate the physical and inner beauty in others--women and men alike.

"Wishes & buts" aside, we can all be forgiven for a frustrated lapse every now and then.  None of us is saying we wish we were someone else and I'm sorry you interpreted the responses in that way.

What we are really saying is that we love who we are just the way we are and we take care of ourselves as a matter of living our everyday lives, but that still leaves plenty of room to appreciate the beauty in others.

Your experience is a cautionary tale and we appreciate your willingness to share it but it focuses on the negative as having greater power than the positive and I'm not sure that's the message we want to send nor receive.  

Well said.  I was happy to see that the industry recognized their value as models!  You can compliment another on their looks or brains or temperament without feeling negative about yourself in comparison.  I don't feel bad that I am not a model.  I am pretty happy with what I have and I hope we all are!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 5 of 21 (195 Views)

And now at least one of Christie Brinkley's daughters is modeling too, so it's a 2-generation "family act"! I think I saw a photo of Christie's mother recently, and she looked good too.

Topics: 1,030
Kudos: 11,448

Message 6 of 21 (197 Views)

catwoman500 wrote:

Hey, Everyone!

Uhh, I thought this thread was all about the fantastic older women who are still modeling? Good for them! Cat Wink

I enjoyed most of the posts and the articles. What a cool look at those women!

I'm thinking Christie Brinkley may be one of those we may see model well into her golden years. Oh, and Cindy Crawford? N.

Yes both of those women have stood the test of time!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 7 of 21 (203 Views)

Hello everyone, lets keep the thread on topic, additionally please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults and inflammatory comments.

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines  

Message 8 of 21 (213 Views)

Epster wrote:

Well, I'm sorry to have caused confusion. 

My comments were in response to the thought that these senior models look gorgeous because they were blessed with bone structure and beauty.  I saw that as a slam to women of every shape and size. As if we are not all beautiful. And of course, being tall and thin is not always a great thing. 

FWIW in my 20s I did some studio modeling and have been considering an opportunity to model for a local magazine. Obviously I'm no Cindy Crawford. Nor am I Christie Brinkley.  I'm not sure I want to put myself back in the position of being judged for the superficial, so am taking my time on the decision. 

Seriously .. you thought my going to the trouble of hunting up the article about Carmen Dell'Orifice,  & saying she looked fabulous in her 80s, was "a slam to women of every shape and size. As if we are not all beautiful"? How could you possibly have drawn that conclusion?! You're the one who mentioned several times that you've modeled, and that "being tall & thin isn't always a good thing."

I think that sort of comment is known as a "humble brag" .. which the Urban Dictionary defines as: "Subtly letting others now about how fantastic your life is while undercutting it with a bit of self-effacing humor or "woe is me" gloss."

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 21 (223 Views)

No confusion for me. I wanted to make sure the original poster was OK with how the discussion took a turn there. Sometimes the threads get taken off on a "birdwalk." N.

Topics: 39
Kudos: 1,317

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 21 (224 Views)

@Epster  I appreciate your input but I believe that most of the responses were were focused on celebrating beauty in all it's forms and being happy that the fashion industry is becoming more inclusive.  It finally started including ethnic women as fashion models but "age-ism" prevented the hiring of older women for runway shows or fashion shoots. 

Who among us hasn't made a comment about, "Does my butt look too big in this?" or "I wish my boobs were bigger/smaller!" or "I hate my hair!"

Certainly we can admire beautiful women who exhibit characteristics unlike those we were born with and sigh...wishing that the elusive elements of creating the "perfect look" were within our grasp.  There's just one thing...those women don't always look so wonderful all of the time, either!  

Our lives provide us with magical tool kits to work on our perceived "flaws" and most of us usually open them up and set to work.  Tool number one is a positive attitude in the face of adversity.  Next is acceptance of ourselves and those things we cannot change. and the ability to "erase" the negative tapes from childhood teasing (and yes, sometimes abuse) that run through our heads. Third is a willingness to work with what we have instead of believing that there's only one standard of beauty.  Fourth is putting a smile on our faces whenever we go out to greet the world...by far, the fastest beauty hack there is!  Fifth is approaching the world and everyone in it with a loving and forgiving attitude...especially towards oneself.  It's a great wrinkle preventer!

If you use that tool kit every day, you will forget about your perceived flaws and be better able to appreciate the physical and inner beauty in others--women and men alike.

"Wishes & buts" aside, we can all be forgiven for a frustrated lapse every now and then.  None of us is saying we wish we were someone else and I'm sorry you interpreted the responses in that way.

What we are really saying is that we love who we are just the way we are and we take care of ourselves as a matter of living our everyday lives, but that still leaves plenty of room to appreciate the beauty in others.

Your experience is a cautionary tale and we appreciate your willingness to share it but it focuses on the negative as having greater power than the positive and I'm not sure that's the message we want to send nor receive.  

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.