Make Your Weekend a Day or Two Longer With Cheap Trip Ideas at AARP Travel’s Take A Day.

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: "Unite the Right" - Hate Mongers Head to VA Tomorrow

Message 131 of 179 (101 Views)

KidBoy2 wrote:

I would think that there will be many from the left at this march.  I agree.  Those from the left will be counter protesters protesting against the "blind hatred".

White nationalism groups are not just from the right or left....why is that so hard for the left wing to understand? Really?  Please show the forum that long list of Left-Wing White Nationalists.   Bawahahaha.....  Obviously you missed the fact that the protest was organized by the Alt-Right......oh, that's right, I forgot, a Fox supporter....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 132 of 179 (84 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Apparently, in many communities many US Citizens don't feel the need to have negative aspects of of our history shoved in their faces.  Maybe they belong in museums where people can CHOOSE to view them vs. being forced to be exposed to them when they visit a public park.

When dealing with the Civil War sculptural depictions at Stone Mountain Park - a group of civic and maybe political leaders got together and reached the compromised position of adding civil rights sculptures to the park in various places.  The most impressive one will be atop the mountain.

The public, a diverse selection, was interviews and most of them said this was fine with them.

You will also have to understand that the actual images on the mountain face is only part of the history.  The years it took to finish it, the life's lot in completing such a task are all wound into it.

It is history - but history needs to tell the whole story and I think Atlanta and some surrounding areas have done a good job of handling things like this - at least recently.  

Is it perfect, No, but we are extremely diversified and try to keep strife to a minimum cause that helps no one.

You asked a question.  You got an answer.  You respond, "yeah, but here we did this". I just shrug.  Is there really a NEED for the Stone Mountain sculpture to honor 3 confederate "hero's"?  What's the point?  To embrace their attempt to seperate from the Union and keep slavery in place?  IMO, it's better suited for history books and museams.  Would you support an abortion monument outside a clinic?  Of course not!  But it's our history.....  Would you support a monument of dead bodies at every Nazi concentration camp?  Of course not; but it's Germany's history!!!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 133 of 179 (77 Views)

kidboy, I just don't understand why there is no room for a moderate or independent in your discussions ? If one is not far right in his/her thinking , then they are automatically called a leftist or liberal. Why is that - No middle ground ? Do we really want a nation only controlled by extremists , regardless of left or right direction ? Some melting pot that would be !!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 134 of 179 (80 Views)
Good information....

White nationalism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

White nationalism is a type of nationalism or pan-nationalism which holds the belief that white people are a race[1] and seeks to develop and maintain a white national identity.[2][3][4] Its proponents identify with and are attached to the concept of a white nation.[5] White nationalists seek to ensure the survival of the white race, and the cultures of historically white states. They hold that white people should maintain their majority in majority-white countries, maintain their political and economic dominance, and that their cultures should be foremost.[4] Many white nationalists believe that miscegenation, multiculturalism, immigration of nonwhites and low birth rates among whites are threatening the white race,[6] and some argue that it amounts to white genocide.[6]

White separatism and white supremacy are subgroups of white nationalism. Separatists seek a white-only state; supremacists believe that white people are superior to nonwhites,[4] taking ideas from social Darwinism and Nazism.[7] Both subgroups generally avoid the term supremacy because it has negative connotations.[8]

=============================================

I would think that there will be many from the left at this march.

White nationalism groups are not just from the right or left....why is that so hard for the left wing to understand? .or is it they do not want to understand?
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 135 of 179 (82 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Apparently, in many communities many US Citizens don't feel the need to have negative aspects of of our history shoved in their faces.  Maybe they belong in museums where people can CHOOSE to view them vs. being forced to be exposed to them when they visit a public park.

When dealing with the Civil War sculptural depictions at Stone Mountain Park - a group of civic and maybe political leaders got together and reached the compromised position of adding civil rights sculptures to the park in various places.  The most impressive one will be atop the mountain.

The public, a diverse selection, was interviews and most of them said this was fine with them.

You will also have to understand that the actual images on the mountain face is only part of the history.  The years it took to finish it, the life's lot in completing such a task are all wound into it.

It is history - but history needs to tell the whole story and I think Atlanta and some surrounding areas have done a good job of handling things like this - at least recently.  

Is it perfect, No, but we are extremely diversified and try to keep strife to a minimum cause that helps no one.

Message 136 of 179 (89 Views)

KidBoy2 wrote:
RK Posted..

If these marchers represent Conservatives and the right side of the political scale in general, who is represented by the people marching and chanting, "What do we want? Dead cops"?

To those who see only two sides - "us" and "them" - you own that group.

=========================================================

How a poster could come up with "it's short and concise and calls for uniting all bigots, uh....er....the Right."

It has nothing to do with the right or conservatives. Some are so ingrained in their political thinking they can not be even a little bit objective.

LOL....it's sad some ,choose to ignore the facts....
Your group came up with a name for the rally.  THEY chose to use "Unite the Right".....It's funny you want to argue that their rally "name" is "sort and concise".  I suggest you go to Charlottesville, if you aren't already there and let them know they have "nothing to do with the right or Conservatives".  Though it's funny (again) that a self-proclaimed "Independent" would be so concerned (most knew better).
Most CLEARLY see the group is calling to "Unite The Right" knowing that most White Nationalists are already on The Right and want the remainder of the Right to unite with them; they AREN'T suggesting "Unite Whites" because they know there are far many more intelligent whites that won't be uniting with a hate group.

Message 137 of 179 (82 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

Why are communities spending all this money removing statues which to me, only bear historical significance - as other historical things and places - a rememberance of time past.

In my opinion all of this is done in the hysteria of political correctness attempting to white-wash anything unpleasant of our history.  I would believe that we are the only nation that removes fragments of our history at the bidding of supposed groups claiming to be hurt.

What next?  Reparations that have been demanded over the years?  The nation paid for the sins of the fathers with the blood of those who fought in the Civil War.

[ Edited ]
Message 138 of 179 (81 Views)

@GailL1 wrote:

I just have a question - maybe a stupid one.

Why are communities spending all this money removing statues which to me, only bear historical significance - as other historical things and places - a rememberance of time past.

So here in Atlanta, we are now in the process of moving and restoration of the Atlanta Cyclorama - a huge painting of the Battle of Atlanta 

Battle of Atlanta - GA moves old painting - all 374 ft., 12 tons of it

Futhermore, to my knowledge, there was a deal struck to add some civil rights historically significant artwork to the Park at Stone Mountain instead of removing ole rebel generals from the mountain face and others here and there in the park.

So I guess my question is rather than removing, why not add to in order to create a complete historical presentation.

Doing it the other way, just seems to add more division and stir up trouble when all we are talking about are historical stuff, of which the history needs to be completed to give the complete story.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 139 of 179 (92 Views)
RK Posted..

If these marchers represent Conservatives and the right side of the political scale in general, who is represented by the people marching and chanting, "What do we want? Dead cops"?

To those who see only two sides - "us" and "them" - you own that group.

=========================================================

How a poster could come up with "it's short and concise and calls for uniting all bigots, uh....er....the Right."

It has nothing to do with the right or conservatives. Some are so ingrained in their political thinking they can not be even a little bit objective.

Good information....

White nationalism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

White nationalism is a type of nationalism or pan-nationalism which holds the belief that white people are a race[1] and seeks to develop and maintain a white national identity.[2][3][4] Its proponents identify with and are attached to the concept of a white nation.[5] White nationalists seek to ensure the survival of the white race, and the cultures of historically white states. They hold that white people should maintain their majority in majority-white countries, maintain their political and economic dominance, and that their cultures should be foremost.[4] Many white nationalists believe that miscegenation, multiculturalism, immigration of nonwhites and low birth rates among whites are threatening the white race,[6] and some argue that it amounts to white genocide.[6]

White separatism and white supremacy are subgroups of white nationalism. Separatists seek a white-only state; supremacists believe that white people are superior to nonwhites,[4] taking ideas from social Darwinism and Nazism.[7] Both subgroups generally avoid the term supremacy because it has negative connotations.[8]
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 140 of 179 (86 Views)

I just have a question - maybe a stupid one.

So here in Atlanta, we are now in the process of moving and restoration of the Atlanta Cyclorama - a huge painting of the Battle of Atlanta 

Battle of Atlanta - GA moves old painting - all 374 ft., 12 tons of it

Futhermore, to my knowledge, there was a deal struck to add some civil rights historically significant artwork to the Park at Stone Mountain instead of removing ole rebel generals from the mountain face and others here and there in the park.

So I guess my question is rather than removing, why not add to in order to create a complete historical presentation.

Doing it the other way, just seems to add more division and stir up trouble when all we are talking about are historical stuff, of which the history needs to be completed to give the complete story.